Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 PM
gmchin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS Question

put newspaper down under my 997 gt3 after i drive. sometimes i get a little dot of oil and sometimes not. when i drive harder it usually happens. anyway took the car into the dealer and they told me that was normal and it wasn't a rms problem. he said there was just barely a coating of oil under there and that the way this engine is designed it will happen. have any of you guys heard this?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like BS. Cars are not designed to leak oil.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:29 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find another opinion, that's not right.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmchin
put newspaper down under my 997 gt3 after i drive. sometimes i get a little dot of oil and sometimes not. when i drive harder it usually happens. anyway took the car into the dealer and they told me that was normal and it wasn't a rms problem. he said there was just barely a coating of oil under there and that the way this engine is designed it will happen. have any of you guys heard this?
- welcome to the rms club
- unfortunately it seems to be highly "normal"
- it may not be a rms "problem" but it is a rms "reality"
- wait until the drops get a little more regular and bring it in and make them change the seal
- the dealer will make money on it and Porsce will lose money (that is what we want and it is the only way we are going to get a better seal designed)
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah... def RMS... good luck... im picking mine up today, i hope it holds up...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
fayence
Instructor

Just spotted oil under my RS this week -- was told that some oil leakage is normal -- as you guys said, that's kind of hard to believe that leaking ANY oil would be considered normal.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Article about this in either Pano or Excellence this month. A little after sitting for a while is considered "normal". Something to do with the design of the seal, which if you look at it appears to be put in backwards... FWIW, my 996 GT3 never leaked a drop in over 2 years...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

I will not accept that Leakage from a $140,000 Porsche is normal or intended. I am sure that was in the design, "How are we going to design and produce the RMS?" ... "I know!, Lets make sure theres oil dripping everywhere!"

I hope when I finish my MBA they figure this out. haha, 2 and a half more years!

From the 944 Turbo section with love, (and motivation for straight As)
Mark.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is a question: if dealers, service people and Porsche NA reps. are saying verbally that it is normal for the GT3 (RS) to leak, why on page 85 of the owners manual do they have a bold face caution that says. Do not continue to drive the vehicle with an obvious oil leak. Take it to you NEAREST authorized Porsche dealer for repair.

I would think that an obvious oil leak is one that you can see....oh foolish me.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
gmchin
Track Day

so my service advisor told me that Porsche NA had some guys going to the different dealers educating them about the oil leak. that a little oil is normal and to stop immediately changing the seal. was planning on doing the lwfw conversion so i am a bit disappointed...
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmchin
so my service advisor told me that Porsche NA had some guys going to the different dealers educating them about the oil leak. that a little oil is normal and to stop immediately changing the seal. was planning on doing the lwfw conversion so i am a bit disappointed...
- i'm assuming this means they are not working on a real fix
- again, if anyone sees any oil on the garage floor bring in the car and demand a new seal
- we are only going to win if we cause a real $$$ hit to them or they are just going to wait another 2 years for the cars to be off warranty
- what works for us is that they put it in print that oil should not be leaking from the car and certainly when the car was driven off the lot is wasn't leaking so lets keep making them spend money until they give us a new seal
Old 08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at my dealer for an unrelated item this morning, and I mentioned RMS. Here is the gist of what I was told.

"This is not the same engine as in the regular 911. It's got a different engine and seal. So it's ok if it leaks. It's part of the racing-based engine design."

I didn't want to get into it with him, but it sounds like maybe he's been already given the "corporate message".
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not the same engine as in the regular 911. It's got a different engine and seal. So it's ok if it leaks. It's part of the racing-based engine design."

Did anyone have a salesman say that these are great limited production cars based on our race vehicles but just to let you know, they tend to leak oil. Porsche has already set a precedent by doing many repairs including several repairs on the same car and bought back cars that could not be fixed. It's a little late to say no more repairs and to live with the leaks.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My bet is that the majority of Porsche owners will simply accept Porsche's explaination that it is ok that it leaks a little rather than demanding they fix it. The leakage will be eventually mentioned in the owner's manual as being normal. They did the same with the problem of burning up to 9 gallons of oil every 15,000. Now, it is stated as normal in the manual.

If you accept ****, you deserve ****.

Personally, my car would be at the dealer daily until I was completely satisfied or got a new engine or car or a full refund of my purchase price.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
My bet is that the majority of Porsche owners will simply accept Porsche's explaination that it is ok that it leaks a little rather than demanding they fix it. The leakage will be eventually mentioned in the owner's manual as being normal. They did the same with the problem of burning up to 9 gallons of oil every 15,000. Now, it is stated as normal in the manual.

If you accept ****, you deserve ****.

Personally, my car would be at the dealer daily until I was completely satisfied or got a new engine or car or a full refund of my purchase price.
+1. My 996GT3 had a RMS replaced at 1500 miles. i purchased the car at 5000 miles and now have 13000 on the odometer. Not a drop of oil has spilled.

These types of marketing "spin stories" really tick me off. No doubt the problem will be fixed with the new 997.5 engine - but I am really disappointed in Porsche for not stepping up to the plate on this one for what - 10 YEARS!!!!

-Blake

Quick Reply: RMS Question