Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM
nat3970
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
a set and forget solution is of course way better than the sport chrono function but when equipped with the pcm unit i think its not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. for one, you don't have to move the stalk up and down except for the first time, this can easily be done before you go out by starting a another lap, once in that position its 2 pushes per lap, one to trip it at start/finish, the second to confirm. when i do this i'm on the front straight, push twice all while looking down the front straight without leaving my hand from the wheel. i made it a routine, check mirrors, check gauges, push stalk. its not hard. i never read the wart but i do see the lap time in the instrument cluster which is very easy to read. I think there was a lot of thought that went into it especially considering that the car could be optioned with or without gps which means this would have cost way more had it been an automated unit. not to mention the legal ramifications of possibly having it. the car is not a race car. anyways, i want a data acquisition unit to play around with and learn how the car responds and what I am doing to it in each corner but this sport chrono w/ pcm I think is adequate for a street car. besides i broke under 8 minutes from my commute to work and I have proof! :-)
Don't disagree with your points regarding casual use and accept that others may have had an easier time using the system than I did.

In my case I found that pushing twice sometimes worked and sometimes did not and only way to confirm is to look at the screen which is tough to do at high speed. Many times I thought I had started another lap only to find that I had not....

That said, you make a fair point that one should not expect a factory option to compare favorably with a dedicated aftermarket track specific solution.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrering
a set and forget solution is of course way better than the sport chrono function but when equipped with the pcm unit i think its not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. for one, you don't have to move the stalk up and down except for the first time, this can easily be done before you go out by starting a another lap, once in that position its 2 pushes per lap, one to trip it at start/finish, the second to confirm. when i do this i'm on the front straight, push twice all while looking down the front straight without leaving my hand from the wheel. i made it a routine, check mirrors, check gauges, push stalk. its not hard. i never read the wart but i do see the lap time in the instrument cluster which is very easy to read. I think there was a lot of thought that went into it especially considering that the car could be optioned with or without gps which means this would have cost way more had it been an automated unit. not to mention the legal ramifications of possibly having it. the car is not a race car. anyways, i want a data acquisition unit to play around with and learn how the car responds and what I am doing to it in each corner but this sport chrono w/ pcm I think is adequate for a street car. besides i broke under 8 minutes from my commute to work and I have proof! :-)
If it has Nav, it has GPS. If it has GPS it should have a "learn" mode and be a proper lap timer. NO EXCUSE
Old 08-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Max Power
Racer

it ruins the interior

Last edited by Max Power; 08-13-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crispenigl
I like using it to know how much time is left in my run session . . .
+1
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I have the sport crono because as you know GT3's are rare and you take what you can get, and it's somewhat useful for lap times and split times if you can look down at the same time every lap.

I agree, if you have PCM we are completely being robbed by Porsche for not having a learn and roll system for at least the start finish if not a full traqmate type system or interval times or something. All of the equipment is already in the car.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
it would be better used for timing the nordschliefe- but for actual track laps, probably quite a mess. I personally would never order it and am glad it hasn't been in either of my cars
That's what I used mine for!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

this is porsche guys. my 2k nav directs me right into f&ing traffic. bmw's one quarter the price have traffic. i'm just glad i can track it without it deciding to downshift for me or overheat.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:33 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Default Wart value

On longer drives with speed limits enforced, I entertain myself with the wart. Practice your reaction time to stop at 911.

I agree with others who find the thing "fiddley" but I wanted nav and phone and it is bundled.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

I find it fairly useless but somewhat entertaining. Now I'll have to try the challenge of stopping at 9.11 too!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Max Power
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto
useless, as noted.

i never ordered it, only came on cars i didn't order. and that's virtually all the ones w/wart.

made me wonder if the dealers got an extra $100 in profit from it or something

639 Sport Chrono Pkg W/Out PCM $690 (invoice $587)
640 Chrono Package Plus $690 (invoice $587)
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Power
it ruins the interior
+1

I don't think it's on the Cup option list either but then neither is PCM

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono