Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thanks to Sharwerks RMS suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Thanks to Sharwerks RMS suggestions

I want to thanks both Dan and James at Sahrkwerks for their comments and suggestions as I prepare to take my GT3 back to the dealer for perhaps yet another (pronounced fourth) RMS replacement and the car is not a year old yet. They strongly suggest that the 996 turbo seal be used. Prior to my last replacement I mentioned this to my service manager and he asked Porsche NA, well actually their "Field Technical Manager"... interesting individual to say the least. The response was to install the same 997 GT3 seal, hopefully this time we can get a different answer.
By the way on page 85 of the owners manual is clearly states under a bold faced caution:
"Do not continue driving if there is an obvious oil leak"

It goes further to state under the same caution:

"Have the fault remedied at the nearest authorized Porsche dealer"

So my sixty mile one way trip today is more of a CYA to protect my warranty. The leak is more of a seepage (the previous ones started the same way) but frustrating and disappointing for a car of this price class and heritage.

Thanks again to the great folks at Sharkwerks for their assistance and excellent products. Thanks Alex, James and Dan.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Well took the GT3 in and they put it on the rack. Even though I had wiped down the engine before I left home it was dripping after the 60 mile drive. The dealer has kept the car and has gone to Porsche Na as to what is next. This will be the fourth RMS (original plus this being the third replacement). The car is not yet a year old. I'm not a happy camper to say the least. I again suggested that perhaps a 996 turbo seal be used. I was told they would ask Porsche NA. It will be at least another weeks without the GT3 which will bring it up to over 6 weeks in the first year. They did give me a Cayman to drive which I appreciate. I don't need this agrevation at this stage of my life. I wonder if Porsche AG is really aware of the issue?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear. 4 RMS leaks is ridiculous. Good luck! Hopefully this will be the last fix.

And i'm sure PAG is well aware. The greater majority of GT3's have had a leak at some point and someone has to pay the dealers to fix things for free under warranty.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. Let us know how it goes. I know you're anxious to drive the car again!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the difference in these seals, and what, if any, is the downside? Increased rotational friction, perhaps?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I understand that the 996 Turbo seal provides more sealing surface and has not had a history of leaking. That does not seam to be an option as I just got off the phone with Porsche NA customer service and they will not entertain doing the turbo seal so it will probably just be another 997 GT3 seal that lasts about 300 miles. As I said before the owners manual has a bold faced caution that states
"Do not continue to drive the vehicle with an obvious oil leak". Mine has been confirmed by the service department as an active leak as are all the RMS leaks. Neither the dealers service department nor Porsche NA will sign a wavier allowing me to drive the car with a active and known leak contrary to the Owners manual so the car sits again at the dealer awaiting a decision from Porsche.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

I'm really sorry that the experience you have had to date is not the GT3 experience you should be having...you should have a trouble free car that you can whip at will and will love you for it...there is an old saying "when given lemons"...well you know how it goes...there cqn be no excuse for the problem not having been fixed by now...they either need to pony up a new motor (appears to be a case problem not a seal problem) or you may need to research the lemon law...good luck, and I hope they are able to fix it for you so you can enjoy this car the way you should have been all along
Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I'm really sorry that the experience you have had to date is not the GT3 experience you should be having...you should have a trouble free car that you can whip at will and will love you for it...there is an old saying "when given lemons"...well you know how it goes...there cqn be no excuse for the problem not having been fixed by now...they either need to pony up a new motor (appears to be a case problem not a seal problem) or you may need to research the lemon law...good luck, and I hope they are able to fix it for you so you can enjoy this car the way you should have been all along
The interesting side to this that I love to jab not only the dealer but Porsche Na with is that I also have a 1983 Euro spec 911 SC (rather modified) that is set up as a track car. I and the two previous owners run and have run the car rather hard. It has over 130,000 miles on it, has no oil leaks, the engine has not been opened and is still producing factory horsepower. It is a pure blast to drive and drive hard and brings a smile you can see even through a full face helmet. So why can't Porsche fix a simple thing like a rear main seal in their current hot rod?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

you are absolutely right...that is the experience you should be having with your "new" hot rod....let me add that you have remarkable patience and I admire you for it...I would have been on America's most wanted by the 4th rms
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Thanks for the kind words. Let us know how it goes. I know you're anxious to drive the car again!
Dan do you have a Porsche part number for this seal? this may turn into a DIY.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I understand that the 996 Turbo seal provides more sealing surface and has not had a history of leaking. That does not seam to be an option as I just got off the phone with Porsche NA customer service and they will not entertain doing the turbo seal so it will probably just be another 997 GT3 seal that lasts about 300 miles. As I said before the owners manual has a bold faced caution that states
"Do not continue to drive the vehicle with an obvious oil leak". Mine has been confirmed by the service department as an active leak as are all the RMS leaks. Neither the dealers service department nor Porsche NA will sign a wavier allowing me to drive the car with a active and known leak contrary to the Owners manual so the car sits again at the dealer awaiting a decision from Porsche.
Your dealer must be wound pretty tight, my dealer looked at my leak we both agreed that I would drive it for awhile until we know they can fix it, that was 4 months ago. Personally I do not see how they could give you a hard time about an RMS leak because it cannot cause any damage to the motor, if it were an oil line then ok, i get it.
on the turbo seal, we need to get some documentation that it works, I would like to get the part numbers order both and look at them side by side, maybe Dan has done this already, post some pics if you have them Dan, I still want the part No: as I am going to order one and DIY if it works and the dealer won't.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,616 Likes on 2,306 Posts

keep documents
you can do lemon law in your case. 4 or 5 RMS that's just NOT right.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,616 Likes on 2,306 Posts

is your dealer is very small one?
usually large premier dealers has a lot of pull and the service manager need to goto bat for you. they CAN convince regional rep to approve just about ANYTHING. yes, i have seen it done.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
keep documents
you can do lemon law in your case. 4 or 5 RMS that's just NOT right.
I agree, this is ridiculous. OK, so it is covered under warranty, but what are they doing to make up for the time lost not being able to drive the $120K car that you purchased? You didn't buy a Boxster or Cayman.

I am patient and forgiving, but in this case I would go for the jugular.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It is a moderate sized dealer and they have been great. All the major players up to and including the owner have pressed the issue as best they can on both the leak and the oil pressure issue. After the previous RMS they pushed for a new engine which was turned down, we shall see whar turns up now. I have sent several letters directly to Mr. Detlev von Platen CEO of Porsche NA certified ( the last one just before this latest leak appeared) but have heard nothing back from his staff. Porsche Customer Commitment has been pleasant but it appears a certain Ms. Eleneor Nabney, Porsche District Field Technical Manager is the stumbling block (I'm not impressed with her technical knowledge either)

Another point is that with this many seals in such a short time, including the numerous engine removals and replacements, this extra wear and tear on the vehicle (all documented in the service records) will certainly reduce the market value should I decide to sell. My intention when I ordered the GT3 was to keep it and pass it to my son. As I told the dealer, after the first seal replacement ( considered not unusual) I bought my wife a 2008 Cayenne GTS. At this point I would not have based strictly on Porsche attitude towards taking care of customers.

That is all water under the dam and my wife is happy with her Cayenne and I must admit the GTS is a great traveling vehicle. Now my problem, what to get should I replace the GT3, either a tricked out Cayman S or a Carrera S. I know neither is a GT3 but I'm leaning towards the Cayman as a lighter weight well balanced fun car. Comments and again I appreciate everyones concern. Never had such a problem with a Porsche and I've owned and driven them for over 40 years. Thanks

Quick Reply: Thanks to Sharwerks RMS suggestions