Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thanks to Sharwerks RMS suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the RMS issues you have had and are having. If you are looking at a Cayman you will love the neutral handling but miss the HP on a straightaway... It is a sweet car though.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,623 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreCT
Sorry to hear about all the RMS issues you have had and are having. If you are looking at a Cayman you will love the neutral handling but miss the HP on a straightaway... It is a sweet car though.
i am sorry to hear your prob. but unfortunatley EVERY porsche has had its prob.
911, air box blowing up, self disintegrating rubber centered clutch
964, oil, dual mass flywheel coming apart
993, CEL and wiring harness
996 997 RMS

cayman..... well well... have you heard of power steering issues? it's not as common as RMS, but it's not as rare as hen's tooth either. i know of 4 caymans with no less than 3 pwer steering rack replaced on EACH of them. to be fair, they were all heavily tracked. all of them on west coast. east coast gators seemsm to be doing fine without this issue.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreCT
A buddy of mine tracks a Cayman real hard, he can't run R compound tires because when he does the g's forces, causes oil out , blow past the rings, only smokes on heavy g corners. It also, and gone through 1 rear sway and power steering pumps seem to be a common failure with the Cayman, Its a good car, just question its durability for heavy tracking. This is second hand knowledge, I have never driven one.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by todinlaw
A buddy of mine tracks a Cayman real hard, he can't run R compound tires because when he does the g's forces, causes oil out , blow past the rings, only smokes on heavy g corners. It also, and gone through 1 rear sway and power steering pumps seem to be a common failure with the Cayman, Its a good car, just question its durability for heavy tracking. This is second hand knowledge, I have never driven one.
you can run r compound, mpsc, toyo's and some even run hoosiers and i know one who ran slicks. the car will smoke on tight left handers, but nothign blows up due to that.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
you can run r compound, mpsc, toyo's and some even run hoosiers and i know one who ran slicks. the car will smoke on tight left handers, but nothign blows up due to that.
I don't want to take over this thread but I know you have a Cayman Mooty, I was thinking about doing a Cayman for a track or race car at some point vs. boxster, does that not bother you, the oil issue, I understand its and issue with the oiling system or the lack of a baffle that allows the oil to slosh around forced to the back of the pistons. (not a vary technical explanation but you get my drift) Have you figured out a fix.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I don't want to take over this thread but I know you have a Cayman Mooty, I was thinking about doing a Cayman for a track or race car at some point vs. boxster, does that not bother you, the oil issue, I understand its and issue with the oiling system or the lack of a baffle that allows the oil to slosh around forced to the back of the pistons. (not a vary technical explanation but you get my drift) Have you figured out a fix.
i'll PM you so the thread stay on topic here
Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I appreciate all the comments. Yes, having owned and driven Porsches for over 40 years I know they have all had one problem or another. If I would go with the Cayman S it would not be a track car. My '83 Euro spec SC is set up for that. The Cayman S is just a nice handling vehicle. The Carrera and Careera S have gotten larger and heavier. Right now I'm just waiting for some decision from Porsche.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I appreciate all the comments. Yes, having owned and driven Porsches for over 40 years I know they have all had one problem or another. If I would go with the Cayman S it would not be a track car. My '83 Euro spec SC is set up for that. The Cayman S is just a nice handling vehicle. The Carrera and Careera S have gotten larger and heavier. Right now I'm just waiting for some decision from Porsche.
i wish you luck and that porsche will do you right.
if you haven't serviced all those 40 years of porsche ownership at the same dealer, you want to mention that to the rep.

long term p car ownership buys a few brownie points. it did for me. they have authorized a lot of "bonus" for my cars. and i dont have 40 year of p car ownership.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i wish you luck and that porsche will do you right.
if you haven't serviced all those 40 years of porsche ownership at the same dealer, you want to mention that to the rep.

long term p car ownership buys a few brownie points. it did for me. they have authorized a lot of "bonus" for my cars. and i dont have 40 year of p car ownership.
Mooty:

I have not used the same dealer with all purchases as having been a career military officer I moved around. The dealer I bought the GT3 and my wife's Cayenne GTS from is great, I have no reservations with the people there and they are going out of their way to make things right

For everyone, I did get a response back from Porsche NA and they said that if I wanted to use the turbo seal I could, but it would be at my expense and it would void the factory warranty as it is not a Porsche AG approved procedure. ...... and the beat goes on.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the AG in Porsche AG must stand for A$$holeis Germanis...not very helpful were they...let em put in the factory seal under warranty...one of these days your dealer is going to get tired of doing the warranty work and will ask for a new motor...your patience has you pot committed at this point so you might as well stick it out and hope the dealer gets pissed...if it fails again go for the lemon law...that will definitely motivate your dealer to get more agressive with PAG....as Mooty said previously get all of your documentation together..and ask the dealer for a service record printout....
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 279 Posts

Lemon Law it. We really do need to get some attention to PCNA and Germany. If mine leaks again it's going in...two times more and I will be giving it back and moving away from the brand. There are too many fun cars at 2/3 the price for this BullSh*t.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
the AG in Porsche AG must stand for A$$holeis Germanis...not very helpful were they...let em put in the factory seal under warranty...one of these days your dealer is going to get tired of doing the warranty work and will ask for a new motor...your patience has you pot committed at this point so you might as well stick it out and hope the dealer gets pissed...if it fails again go for the lemon law...that will definitely motivate your dealer to get more agressive with PAG....as Mooty said previously get all of your documentation together..and ask the dealer for a service record printout....

Thanks for the comments. I am well aware of the lemon law. In fact years ago I sued Ford Motor company, acted as my own lawyer and won in court. Yes I do document everything. As to my dealer , everyone there up to an including the owner has been fantastic and done everything they can. The problem lies at some level within Porsche NA. I'm not sure top management really knows the extent of the leak issue. I would think that by now the "bean counters" are elevating it if the technical people are not. Why so many warranty claims on the same issue and why so many repeat claims for the same VIN for such a simple issue. My advice is if you have a leak do what the Owners manual states in bold take the car to your nearest dealer and get it fixed. We all enjoy our cars and just want them to be right as they are susposed to be. I would bet the engineers at Porsche AG have a fix. Lived in Germany for three years in the 70's and spent many hours at the factory, these people are good and pride themselves on perfection. This simple seal leak issue is not something they would take lightly... and that attitude is why I have been a Porsche owner and driver for over 40 years and want to keep that record growing.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Thanks for the comments. I am well aware of the lemon law. In fact years ago I sued Ford Motor company, acted as my own lawyer and won in court. Yes I do document everything. As to my dealer , everyone there up to an including the owner has been fantastic and done everything they can. The problem lies at some level within Porsche NA. I'm not sure top management really knows the extent of the leak issue. I would think that by now the "bean counters" are elevating it if the technical people are not. Why so many warranty claims on the same issue and why so many repeat claims for the same VIN for such a simple issue. My advice is if you have a leak do what the Owners manual states in bold take the car to your nearest dealer and get it fixed. We all enjoy our cars and just want them to be right as they are susposed to be. I would bet the engineers at Porsche AG have a fix. Lived in Germany for three years in the 70's and spent many hours at the factory, these people are good and pride themselves on perfection. This simple seal leak issue is not something they would take lightly... and that attitude is why I have been a Porsche owner and driver for over 40 years and want to keep that record growing.
I spoke to a contact I have at Porshe NA, Atlanta, a marketing guy. I asked him if he was aware of the RMS problem and he said he was not. I told him to check out Rennlist, because there are some very frustrated and disappointed GT3 and RS owners. Many owners with multiple repairs and no solution. Not sure anything will come of my conversation. It seems that a proper repair may not be simple. The vent holes that are suppose to relieve crank case pressure are said to be the source of the leaks, the seals do not hold the oil back when the motor is not running in a lot of cars. Perhaps the only way to stop the leaks is a redesigned crank case or vent system, similar to the turbo which would mean a campaign to replace GT3 motors.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

the sad thing is they have proof/history of another seal that worked very well prior and if they would just go ahead and implement it/use it they could probably make this issue go away
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the 993 seal you speak of?

Flash

Quick Reply: Thanks to Sharwerks RMS suggestions