Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

new porsche pdk transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
gripet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new porsche pdk transmission

can anybody clue me in on the new PDK transmission. A magazine article about the new '09 P carrera said the transmission is "sequential" like all modern race cars. Is this going to make all our GT3's outdated.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

ZF developed this with Porsche. Dual wet clutch, similar to what is in my Audi A3. When upshifting the next gear is already engaged if accelerating, when under breaking the next lower gear is engaged. I will say in my Audi when transitioning from accel. to brake and then downshifting with the paddles the trans does not like it too much.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i have it on my daughters vw eos and its really versatile. super smooth as an auto and quick when manual. doesnt rev match downshifts though. i imagine the pdk will. im ready to get one on my next car in 3 yrs time
Old 07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Even the Turbo's old transmission out dates our GT3 setups if you go by raw time alone, the auto is faster 0-60.

I still personally like the thrill of driving, I am not a paid formula 1 driver so I will give up a little bit of speed to be more involved in the experience with rev matching and manually reaching over and moving the stick myself.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,311 Likes on 610 Posts

Will drive PDK next week. Very curious. Sounds like it is great.

DSG is impressive, but I searched long and hard to avoid it in my newest personal car. For me (personally), I want all the interaction I can get with a car. Racing might change that perspective, but I am not a racer.

I asked Rohrl about the replacement for sticks issue, and he said there is one thing saving "people like you" , and that is cost. I suspect we'll see sticks available in 911s for some time yet. High-end models will be interesting, however...

pete

Quick Reply: new porsche pdk transmission