Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need alignment suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need alignment suggestions

Car has about 2800 miles and I want to get it re-aligned. Street driving, which is the vast majority of the miles, is on PS2s and Champion RS98s. For the track, I intend to use stock wheels and MPSCs, if a dry day.

My goal is to set it up to eliminate some understeer, but primarily save the edges on the front tires. I'm not looking for the ultimate track setup, as I run in the beginner group, although I'm generally the fastest in the group, and drive a consistent 90% of the limit, and getting signed off to run solo. (This will be my first time with this car on the track.)

Tires need to wear well on the street, yet the fronts shouldn't get chewed up on the edges when on the track. Definitely don't want to make the car hard to handle or introduce any oversteer characteristics.

SO...stock street alignment, with a bit more camber up front? Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default alignment

This issue has been well covered in this thread - just do a search. 997 GT3 North has an excellent thread with great details on camber choice. In general, you can't go wrong with more front camber. Up to - 2.8 to 3 will still be very benign on the street. The rear does not need as much camber and will eat up your inside edges if you push much past -2.1 to 2.2 rear.

As for MPSC tires - they are very good for your level. However, no matter what you do, the MPSC front tires will get torn up. I've tried every combination from stock alignment to aggressive camber - all settings give way to very unusual wear up front. Just ignore the wear and drive until your rears are gone - then replace both front and rear.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
sws1
Pro

I've read almost all the alignment threads I could find. Most seemed to focus on track settings, with a little street, where as I'm going the other way.

Can I just add front camber, without having to do something to the rear? i.e., are they like 2 ends of a teeter totter?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
sws1
Pro

Here is one suggestion from GT3 North. Not sure if this is too aggressive for my needs though.

Front
- camber -2.4
- toe 0

Rear
- camber -2.2
- stock track toe in
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default alignment

That's a great place to start. You'll like the change on the track and street. Won't wear your tires excessively. Good luck. Oh yeah, you'll likely need to add spacers to the front to achieve the -2.2 unless they rotate your struts.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/443123-alignment-specifications-for-my-gt3.html

Moderate set-up for 50/50 street and track. I'm in Black, but my son is in Yellow, so I had them not go too extreme. I also wanted good and even tire wear as well as some understeer as a safety valve.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:42 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,253 Likes on 610 Posts

sws- you're only going to wear the front tires on the track, even with 2.4-2.8 deg of negative camber, mainly because there's absolutely no weight on the front of the car, unless you're under heavy braking.

so crank those things in, bring the rears around the suggested 2.0 or so, and enjoy!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With my alignment I've got very good wear characteristics and have put on about 2000 miles (of 9200) on my GT3. With a good alignment, I think your fronts will do plenty of work, especially if your driving style recognizes the rear weight bias of the car.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Adam S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first got the car on track I hated it.
Felt worse than my C2S which I had tuned before.

My biggest issue was with the full stiff in rear and nearly all soft in front.
Car was tail happy and not commmunicative enough.

It felt like it ws leaning too much in turns, mostly because with those settings it was like a tripod, with the wide rear on hard and the narrower front on soft.

Beside changing the camber, I firmed up the front 1 notch and softened back 1 notch to middle hole.

Car corners much flatter now, feels a lot more neutral, communicates better.

And if you drive it on the street, I found it improved ride. Amazingly it is a lot more comfortable on the road as the rear complies much better to uneven pavement and various other bumps in the road.

Last edited by Adam S; 07-26-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Need alignment suggestions