Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For those few who own both a GT3/RS and a GT2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I would wait for the 997GT3 RS MKII. It has the looks and sound over the GT2 and will hopefully get the upgraded suspension. Basically you will get all the goodness of the GT2's set-up with the killer looks and sound of the NA GT3RS.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Personally, I would wait for the 997GT3 RS MKII. It has the looks and sound over the GT2 and will hopefully get the upgraded suspension. Basically you will get all the goodness of the GT2's set-up with the killer looks and sound of the NA GT3RS.
What RS MKII?, don't hold your breath unless you have some inside Porsche information. Speculation about another RS variant (soon) without the credentials (or PCNA sources) is merely pandering to the gullible.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 AM
RSA333
Racer

I have owned and tracked both (RS=one track weekend; GT2=6 track days). I sold the GT2 with no premium.

The RS is just more like the current cars that Porsche races in its european series and elsewhere. Obviously, neither could approach a modern RSR, but the RS is just more rough and mechanical, and therein lies the beauty. With the RS factory cage, 996 GT3 sports seats, carbon fiber panels, suspension upgrades including proper camber and toe settings, the stock GT2 was no comparison IMHO. Certainly more power, but as someone else mentioned, an experienced driver can be faster in a NA 944 than someone in a Porsche turbo at most tracks.

Again, I am biased, I like the fever pitch, tactile feel and sound of normally-aspirated 911s - read the evo articles comparing the 2 cars, don't just rely on Pete's recent excellent article in Excellence (Sept '08).

-Gerry

07 GT3 Clubsport

Rennlist #: 000406-1820 (why isn't it reactivated? I paid the renewal fee online)

Sold:

08 GT2
08 997 TT (~700bhp)
07 997 Turbo, modified, Tip, 0-60 in 3 secs
04 GT3
05 GT3
02 996 Turbo X50
95 IMSA GT2
93 RSA
92 911 Turbo S2 (1 of 25)
...and a couple of 993 cup cars that I co-owned
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colm
What RS MKII?, don't hold your breath unless you have some inside Porsche information. Speculation about another RS variant (soon) without the credentials (or PCNA sources) is merely pandering to the gullible.
More pandering;

last I heard (from the typical "reliable" sources), it isn't going to happen.

If you want the last of the 997 dual purpose cars, get a 3 or 3RS. Nothing till the 998 or whatever they call the thing they'll make when they get rid of the back seat and move up the motor.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
But I'm really looking for a buy and hold that scores well in;

fun to drive
trackworthy for at least short outings
holds value

Your thoughts?
Ahhhhh....Herman,

Just get the GTR.....I've seen you lurking on their forum.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jack
Ahhhhh....Herman,

Just get the GTR.....I've seen you lurking on their forum.
well I think it will score well in just about all categories but value. I suspect they'll be very available in a year. That 's why I'm selling the one coming in next week

Hey haven't heard from you in a long time...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Call me gullible...but what is this, then? Center exhaust, facelift LED taillights, disguised front bumper cap...they're building production-ready prototypes of cars they don't intend to sell? While leaving a very profitable gap in the product line for 4+ model years?

http://hellfreezes.files.wordpress.c...-facelift2.jpg
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Call me gullible...but what is this, then? Center exhaust, facelift LED taillights, disguised front bumper cap...they're building production-ready prototypes of cars they don't intend to sell? While leaving a very profitable gap in the product line for 4+ model years?

+1

Key is what we can't see.

pete
Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

Good info, but a GT3 does not an RS make (despite all the protestations). The RS moniker has always demanded pedigree; and Porsche might lose more than revenue (image) if they monkey too much with their "brand" heritage. It is one thing to introduce a new platform, it is another to bastardize a legendary moniker.

There can be a GT3, without the RS.

I have no special knowledge, and my opinion is that another RS is quite awhile away (pedigree needed).
Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

^

Good info, but a GT3 does not an RS make (despite all the protestations). The RS moniker has always demanded pedigree; and Porsche might lose more than revenue (image) if they monkey too much with their "brand" heritage. It is one thing to introduce a new platform, it is another to bastardize a legendary moniker.

There can be a GT3, without the RS.

I have no special knowledge, and my opinion is that another RS is quite awhile away (pedigree needed).
Ah, sorry, I was for some reason seeing "GT3 MKII", not what was posted. Too much editing today, maybe. Time to go home.

Anyway, I am with Colm on this. There was only one 996 GT3 RS, and it served a very important purpose via several interesting tweaks, unibody without glovebox structure and rear suspension pieces among them.

The 997 GT3 RS, too, has served a purpose...unless there is another purpose that needs servicing.

pete
Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,087 Likes on 587 Posts

I agree, the next RS might not be until 2012

the main issue is what kind of engine and transmission will the next gen GT3 have?

I'm excited because the new RSR engines are running 4.0L with some of the teams around the world- with direct injection...could really be a nice power upgrade
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Maybe it's the new mark II 997 aerokit and X51
Old 07-25-2008, 02:22 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by redpackage
Just finished a 2 day track event at VIR in the new GT2. Compared with my RS at the Glen last Oct, I prefer the GT2. Ran both cars stock (except for the harness) with factory suspension settings and factory rubber. While I liked the trumpet sound of the RS in sport mode, I liked everything else better in the GT2. First, the seats are unbelievable. Porsche should drop everything and offer these seats to all P car owners. I'm 6'2" and these seats with a harness hold the driver better than my Recaro racing seat in the CGT. None of the alleged bad behavior of the GT2 was evident to me. I had no problem with the move from normal aspiration to turbo but the GT2 remains a little less civil. Both cars had ceramic brakes that never faded. The added push from the higher hp added a lot of enjoyment. I suspect the fun would only go up with suspension adjustments and slicks. My vote: GT2
Awesome... I was about to post up my thoughts, but then I realized until I get in a 997 GT2 for some good time, I can't really say. All I know is, coming from my RUF GT2 with motons, etc. I would be severely underwhelmed, the car just looks so soft but I can be very wrong!

If I had to pick one without driving both, and no modding? GT3RS.

GT2 need some good mods for it to be spot on and enjoyable, but once you reach that level, it's game over!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 AM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good to see that that more and more sharp drivers are starting to echo the stellar performance of the GT2. There has been so many articles and opinions on what the GT2 is and what not (ie GT3 track - GT2 weekend cruise), which did never relate back to my driving experience. GT2 is definitely sharper and quicker on a track than GT3/RS. The GT2 track performance with the respective set-up reached into my former 996 Cup track time territory. Setup options are massive and really make a difference.

Having said this, all agree with looks and sound, however to more you start to appreciate the performance of the car, the less important it becomes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 AM
RSA333
Racer

Sims-

Well, I guess we can each have our own opinions, they resemble a certain piece of anatomy in the perineum. Admittedly, although it is a small sample size, my GT3 RS laptimes were 0.5-1 second faster than with my 997 GT2. Of course, the GT2 was bone stock, and I have modified the GT3 RS. I guess the only other point is that turbocharging has left the world of most professional racing for now, and certainly the RS is a much closer approximation of the 997 cup car than is the GT2.

Cheers - Gerry

07 GT3 RS Clubsport

Sold:

08 GT2
08 997 TT (~700bhp)
07 997 Turbo, modified, Tip, 0-60 in 3 secs
04 GT3
05 GT3
02 996 Turbo X50
95 IMSA GT2
93 RSA
92 911 Turbo S2 (1 of 25)