my 9yr old daughter beat me at the track today

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default my 9yr old daughter beat me at the track today

Vacationing for the week

My 7 year old son is too short to ride in his own go-cart but my 9 year old daughter is now 54 inches so she just made it

Over the last 2 days we have gone from me and my son (together) lapping my daughter to her winning today

My wife was freaked out at first but I'm a big believer of learning by doing so reep what you sew and now she is faster

We went to the local go-cart track 5 times over the last 2 days and today she finally beat us

The first day and a half I just left her alone to figure it out on her own but I decided today to give her a ride in the double car to show her what was possible - ie foot to the floor everywhere and a little bit of counter stearing if required

She had no idea that you could counter stear but on the very next lap she did it

When she went to bed tonight she said she didn't need the gt3 as there will be better cars when she grows up

When I was young I almost went pro as a tenis player so I understand what child skill is all about but I was just not ready for my nine year old daughter to be counter stearing / drifting a go-cart on her second day and not allowing me to pass her

I was very proud

My wife was bewildered

At 12 years old I could beat everyone at our tennis club - now I understand why I will never be a formula 1 driver - when you learn something as a child there is just no way of replicating it as an adult - to this day I can hit 95 out of 100 second serves in at 100mph but cannot hit a few fairways in a row even though I almost play daily

Just so you know I drive WG at a 2:15 pace in my gt3 so I was not giving it to her

Paul
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are absolutely correct on all counts!

Your memory will tell you that as a child/young man you had no fear of failure. If you just "weren't good enough" today, you'd come back tomorrow and just be better. Eventually, you were the best since that was your goal. Your golf game won't get better unless you adopt the same attitude, and unfortunately that's so hard to do as an adult.

I'm sure C.J. doesn't dwell on the bad pitches he makes, just on how to be better next time.

Golf is a mind-f*ck since you have way too much time to picture a bad shot in your set up. In tennis you just have to forget about it and get in position.

It's a great day when your child exceeds your anticipation! Few other things as an adult can be so satisfying. Better in many cases than if you had done it yourself.

You'd better get her a faster Kart!

BTW, was that the BEST final you've seen since Borg v Mc Enroe or what???
Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

it could have been a lot worse...it could have been someone else's 9 year old daughter....
Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
You are absolutely correct on all counts!

Your memory will tell you that as a child/young man you had no fear of failure. If you just "weren't good enough" today, you'd come back tomorrow and just be better. Eventually, you were the best since that was your goal. Your golf game won't get better unless you adopt the same attitude, and unfortunately that's so hard to do as an adult.

I'm sure C.J. doesn't dwell on the bad pitches he makes, just on how to be better next time.

Golf is a mind-f*ck since you have way too much time to picture a bad shot in your set up. In tennis you just have to forget about it and get in position.

It's a great day when your child exceeds your anticipation! Few other things as an adult can be so satisfying. Better in many cases than if you had done it yourself.

You'd better get her a faster Kart!

BTW, was that the BEST final you've seen since Borg v Mc Enroe or what???

damn skippy. there's always something else on the horizon...

paul, the funny thing is that I hate golf. congrats on finding a new way to drain your bank account...having kids that race isn't any cheaper than racing your gt3!

btw, in regards to "learning new tricks"

The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin

grandmaster chess player quits at 26 to become world champion martial artist.

I'm still young enough to be a pro driver...but I've got to learn quick!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 AM
gete3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an indoor Kart that my six-year-old son could drive and after a few laps he was drifting and countersteering very well. Kids today.............
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

The tennis was fantastic. - two greats at the very tops of their games - doesn't happen in sports that often that 2 hall of famers meet in their prime and you witness a changing of the guard
Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
The tennis was fantastic. - two greats at the very tops of their games - doesn't happen in sports that often that 2 hall of famers meet in their prime and you witness a changing of the guard
Gotta admit, Raffy owns Roger lately.

So,you think it's over, huh?

Either way,those two hit the ball together like no one I've seen!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

At that level it is all mental and the french loss was absolutely brutal - add the Wimbledon loss and there has to be a 90 percent chance Roger retires within twelve months. If nadal. Wins or someone else wins in NY then he will retire this year. What nadal is exposing is Rogers one hand back hand - the same thing Andre would do except this is even worse because nadal hits so much Topspin. Roger can beat him if nadal is off but there is no way for him to beat him if he has to be returning the ball when it is above his head with one arm on his backhand
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
At that level it is all mental and the french loss was absolutely brutal - add the Wimbledon loss and there has to be a 90 percent chance Roger retires within twelve months. If nadal. Wins or someone else wins in NY then he will retire this year. What nadal is exposing is Rogers one hand back hand - the same thing Andre would do except this is even worse because nadal hits so much Topspin. Roger can beat him if nadal is off but there is no way for him to beat him if he has to be returning the ball when it is above his head with one arm on his backhand
It was interesting to watch Nadal mercilessly attack Roger's backhand. He must have practiced hitting to the left side non-stop. Roger was trying to run around it every chance he could but Nadal just pinned him in the L corner all match. He virtually never hit to the right, and then only outright winner attempts. When Roger did get to run around it he was effective, but...

What's interesting is how even Wimbledon is now a baseline tournament. You noticed I'm sure how little the grass was worn at the T and in. The whole thing is groundstrokes now. No one can rush and crush anymore.

Quick Reply: my 9yr old daughter beat me at the track today