Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cost no object, RS or 430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008 | 01:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree with all and disagree with none.

money no object- neither...CGT and an ENZO. lol

but seriously- if you can truly afford one, you can almost afford both.

I'm looking to get myself a 360 CS when the time is right, and would prefer it over the 430 due to the more spartan interior and conceptual philosophy of the car (lightweight, exposed metal and carbon).

For the old "drive it to the track, run it, and bring it home" - the RS or the standard GT3 is a great car- not just because of the dynamics but because if/when you go off and rip something, chances are it's plastic or rubber and 150-400 bucks. it doesn't have to ruin your week, or even end your day.

in a 430, 360, etc- all the low and scrapeable parts are carbon/metal and cost lots to replace- so chances are you're not gonna drive it as hard. if you want to drift it around an airfield like Top Gear- yeah the 430 is probably sexier for that because of the sounds and E-differential doing so much.

like colm says- "stage in life"

I'm young and don't mind the attention that my ORANGE rs brings, so I'm sure a ferrari with a flat black wrap on it won't be any worse.
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:19 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
..... One other thing about the 430 - I sold it for $2K less than I paid new, after two years - that doesn't happen with a Porsche.
I just sold my RS for about $10K more that I paid for it - 1 year later. Although I guess if you count the roll bar, seats, clear bra, etc. it is more like $4 - 5K more than I had in it. (I don't expect that to happen with too many Porsches though or ever again for that matter).

Anyway, I can not say from experience what car is better, but the RS is just much more appealing to ME. I would love to own both, but I could not afford it (financially or if I want to keep my wife/family).
I just sold my Orange RS as I mentioned. Then some issues came up about the time and money I have been spending racing the 996 Cup. So I just made a deal to trade my CUP and some $$ for another RS. This time all black because I did get tired of the attention the Orange car brought (so much so that I didn't drive it nearly enough). I think I will be more comfortable driving the black RS.

I have owned 5 GT3's (including the Cup). The black RS will be my 6th GT3.
I guess that tells you what car gets my vote.
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I just sold my Orange RS as I mentioned. Then some issues came up about the time and money I have been spending racing the 996 Cup. So I just made a deal to trade my CUP and some $$ for another RS. ]

I have owned 5 GT3's (including the Cup). The black RS will be my 6th GT3.
I guess that tells you what car gets my vote.
LOL, your handle "GT3 NUT" is right on.

you even beat me by one GT3. i only have/had 5 and no cup cars.
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:30 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, your handle "GT3 NUT" is right on.

you even beat me by one GT3. i only have/had 5 and no cup cars.
been meaning to talk to you about that...why not just rent a garage at T-hill or something and get one?
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:34 AM
webster132
Intermediate

To me, it really depended on the breakdown of your usage. I had the GT3 for 5 months and took it to the track 5 times. The rest of the time I drove it on the street. So in terms of miles, it was probably 80% street, 20% track. If that's similar to your usage pattern, I'd say definitely go with the F430 if you can stand the attention.

If, on the other hand, you're more like 80% track, 20% street, then the GT3 is a very sweet proposition. And as many have noted already, it's significantly cheaper to run. A full set of brake pads for the ceramics on the F430 is more than 3k!

It certainly also depends on what type of driving style that you like. 911s drive a certain way and some people just love that. How you can be so hard, so early on the gas coming out of a corner. I enjoyed that charm, but I think I ultimately like the mid-engine dynamics better. The F430 feels a lot less vindictive and more willing to play it a little loose.

The trouble is that you can't really just take the two for a test drive on the street. That'd be selling the GT3 short, imo. So you kinda have to just bite the bullet and buy both and drive them before being in a good position to know which you prefer
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:36 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I agree with all and disagree with none.

money no object- neither...CGT and an ENZO. lol

but seriously- if you can truly afford one, you can almost afford both.

I'm looking to get myself a 360 CS when the time is right, and would prefer it over the 430 due to the more spartan interior and conceptual philosophy of the car (lightweight, exposed metal and carbon).

For the old "drive it to the track, run it, and bring it home" - the RS or the standard GT3 is a great car- not just because of the dynamics but because if/when you go off and rip something, chances are it's plastic or rubber and 150-400 bucks. it doesn't have to ruin your week, or even end your day.

in a 430, 360, etc- all the low and scrapeable parts are carbon/metal and cost lots to replace- so chances are you're not gonna drive it as hard. if you want to drift it around an airfield like Top Gear- yeah the 430 is probably sexier for that because of the sounds and E-differential doing so much.

like colm says- "stage in life"

I'm young and don't mind the attention that my ORANGE rs brings, so I'm sure a ferrari with a flat black wrap on it won't be any worse.
CJ you're too cool man. I'm young and didnt even like the attention that my Turbo brought. When do we get to see that RS in Cali?

A CS huh? That would effectively complete your garage as "dream!"
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:39 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by webster132
To me, it really depended on the breakdown of your usage. I had the GT3 for 5 months and took it to the track 5 times. The rest of the time I drove it on the street. So in terms of miles, it was probably 80% street, 20% track. If that's similar to your usage pattern, I'd say definitely go with the F430 if you can stand the attention.

If, on the other hand, you're more like 80% track, 20% street, then the GT3 is a very sweet proposition. And as many have noted already, it's significantly cheaper to run. A full set of brake pads for the ceramics on the F430 is more than 3k!

It certainly also depends on what type of driving style that you like. 911s drive a certain way and some people just love that. How you can be so hard, so early on the gas coming out of a corner. I enjoyed that charm, but I think I ultimately like the mid-engine dynamics better. The F430 feels a lot less vindictive and more willing to play it a little loose.
Vindictive, that's an interesting way of putting it? Do you mean at the limit the 430 is just more forgiving?

Originally Posted by webster132
The trouble is that you can't really just take the two for a test drive on the street. That'd be selling the GT3 short, imo. So you kinda have to just bite the bullet and buy both and drive them before being in a good position to know which you prefer
If only that were possible for all.
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

been meaning to talk to you about that...why not just rent a garage at T-hill or something and get one?
TH is just one of 4 tracks i go to.
what am i gonna do when i am at the other 3 tracks.
and once you meet me you will realize how little patience i have. i would start pitching the ball before the fk batter gets on deck. if i have to wait 5 min for my dinner, i rather not eat. i tell my wife to get ready and if she's not waiting for me in the garage, i often just drive off without her. yes, true. i dont wait when i eat. i put my *** down and i eat, usually by the time my guests sit, i am done eating.

i usually write very well for official doc's. but here, as you can tell, i skip words and mispell things b/c i am on thought number 10 while typing word number 2. i dont have patience even with myself.

so i cannot endure the time it takes to get the car on/off the trailer.

tragic flaw, i know. but i can't help it.
Old 07-02-2008 | 02:12 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

and once you meet me you will realize how little patience i have. i would start pitching the ball before the fk batter gets on deck. if i have to wait 5 min for my dinner, i rather not eat. i tell my wife to get ready and if she's not waiting for me in the garage, i often just drive off without her. yes, true. i dont wait when i eat. i put my *** down and i eat, usually by the time my guests sit, i am done eating.

i usually write very well for official doc's. but here, as you can tell, i skip words and mispell things b/c i am on thought number 10 while typing word number 2. i dont have patience even with myself.

Yikes John!

I was always curious as to why your words were often missing letters. And to think i was going to ask for another test ride before our chat. You sure you want to sit down and school me on club racing and instructing?

I suppose at the end of the day though, impatience is a big part of why your so good at the track. Do anything it takes to be first as soon as possible! Darn good thing you've got enough skill to make up for impatient mistakes, granted you make them.
Old 07-02-2008 | 02:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by carn3rd
CJ you're too cool man. I'm young and didnt even like the attention that my Turbo brought. When do we get to see that RS in Cali?

A CS huh? That would effectively complete your garage as "dream!"
I'll be bringing it out in october. I'll be at the ALMS race @ Laguna Seca at the very latest, and will definitely be running it around in the Norcal area for various trackdays. CS is a spectacular looking and sounding car. haven't driven one because it's too expensive for me at this point and I need to get my life settled down a bit first. most likely I'm gonna find some land in Texas to build myself a nice little house with my own gokart track, so the homeys can come out and race whenever!

dude- you missed my point! just keep it at T-hill to run there, and then drive your other cars at the other tracks! I plan on keeping my MX-5 here in Texas and the RS in CA, eventually I'll get either an nsx that is all tracked out or a 996gt3 that is all hollowed out, maybe even a spec racer ford, and keep them at various tracks around the country (VIR, florida, Norcal, socal, TX,) ...little satellite bases everywhere! I'll be able to do track events all winter.
Old 07-02-2008 | 02:24 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

I'll be bringing it out in october. I'll be at the ALMS race @ Laguna Seca at the very latest, and will definitely be running it around in the Norcal area for various trackdays. CS is a spectacular looking and sounding car. haven't driven one because it's too expensive for me at this point and I need to get my life settled down a bit first. most likely I'm gonna find some land in Texas to build myself a nice little house with my own gokart track, so the homeys can come out and race whenever!
Sick, i can't wait! With any luck by then i should definitely have my 3 and a couple HPDE/DE's under my belt so i can attempt to keep up.

Your own person gokart track? Man let me know when you get that set up! I'll fly out to Texas to race ya!

Last edited by Carnerd; 07-03-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2008 | 09:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Yikes John!

I was always curious as to why your words were often missing letters. And to think i was going to ask for another test ride before our chat. You sure you want to sit down and school me on club racing and instructing?
i also dont cap my letters b/c it takes one extra key stroke. when i write to close friends, i also do not use ANY punctuation, and i not only just miss letters, i would skip words. but we have no prob understanding each other. if ppl dont understand me i get very upset (tragic flaw). thus i realize that i am not good at instructing newbies. i either confuse them with too many inputs or assume they know too much. but with intermediate and adv drivers, i am much more helpful. i dont club race, i would be DFL. so not sure if i can help you there.

I suppose at the end of the day though, impatience is a big part of why your so good at the track. Do anything it takes to be first as soon as possible! Darn good thing you've got enough skill to make up for impatient mistakes, granted you make them.
not really, if i would slow down a bit i would be much better at everything i do. but i can't get myself to slow down. all my friends are convinced i will die of a heart attack in near future
Old 07-02-2008 | 09:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

dude- you missed my point! just keep it at T-hill to run there, and then drive your other cars at the other tracks! I plan on keeping my MX-5 here in Texas and the RS in CA, eventually I'll get either an nsx that is all tracked out or a 996gt3 that is all hollowed out, maybe even a spec racer ford, and keep them at various tracks around the country (VIR, florida, Norcal, socal, TX,) ...little satellite bases everywhere! I'll be able to do track events all winter.
NO, i did understand your point of keeping a car at TH. but you didn't understand the fact that i am not made of money LOL. park $100k+ at TH in a car i can use maybe 12x a year. but when i hit the jack pot, i will and you are free to drive it anytime

if you want to know NSX. kip olsen probably has the single best NSX in the country. he's in CA and tracks a lot. i believe his car has everything comptech ever made, and even some that are never released. it is fast.
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

NO, i did understand your point of keeping a car at TH. but you didn't understand the fact that i am not made of money LOL. park $100k+ at TH in a car i can use maybe 12x a year. but when i hit the jack pot, i will and you are free to drive it anytime

if you want to know NSX. kip olsen probably has the single best NSX in the country. he's in CA and tracks a lot. i believe his car has everything comptech ever made, and even some that are never released. it is fast.
well hey it's a goal of mine to hit the jack pot also...maybe I'll get one of the old Risi Competizione 430s and we can duke it out!
Old 07-02-2008 | 01:59 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

i also dont cap my letters b/c it takes one extra key stroke. when i write to close friends, i also do not use ANY punctuation, and i not only just miss letters, i would skip words. but we have no prob understanding each other. if ppl dont understand me i get very upset (tragic flaw). thus i realize that i am not good at instructing newbies. i either confuse them with too many inputs or assume they know too much. but with intermediate and adv drivers, i am much more helpful. i dont club race, i would be DFL. so not sure if i can help you there.
Well i meant becoming an instructor. I dont like asking for help, it puts people in a weird position to say no. I'd rather just put it out there that i need the help and see who is willing. DFL? I highly doubt that. Unless you're totally out classed car wise. What is the racing you do with Jeff and 171?

not really, if i would slow down a bit i would be much better at everything i do. but i can't get myself to slow down. all my friends are convinced i will die of a heart attack in near future
Yikes, i hope not.

Quick Reply: Cost no object, RS or 430?