Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hot shocks = noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hot shocks = noisy?

I drove about 100mi this weekend in 95 degree weather. The roads were somewhat bumpy, but not unbearable.

Near the end I started to notice a progressively louder squeaking/scrunching noise coming from the front end that that seemed to go with the bumps in the road, at high or low speeds.

The next morning the noise was gone.

My questions: Can shock temperature changes cause these kind of noises? If so, is it normal, or does it indicate a problem?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting quite a bit of noise from the front suspension as well, I don't believe it is from the shocks though. rapid compression doesn't seem to do it but slow inclines are bad. a friend of mine has had both of his front shocks replaced to get rid of the same sound.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian S,

So with your friend it was the shocks, and not another part of the front suspension?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said the actual shocks, 3 times total. The dealer told me I was crazy the last time but I was really there for an alignment so they probably didn't look into it at all. I am planning on leaving the car with them a couple of days because it's really obvious, every driveway causes the squeak once the car is up to temp. It never squeaks out of a sharp incline leaving my house in the morning though.

Quick Reply: Hot shocks = noisy?