Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Grill screens

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
willr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanz
Has anyone actually punctured a radiator?
Yes, on a trackday just before I fitted some mesh I got a cracked windscreen and a stone through the central radiator. Total cost £1300.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 AM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

I installed the Porsche Motorsport Grill Screens and I am happy I did. PNA does not install for the street car probably because you don't see as much rocks and debris thrown up on the road (although I think they should come OEM). At the track lots of rocks get picked up. I see lots of broken windshields, Headlights fg lights and punctured Radiators.

If you track I would recommend a protective device, and do closely monitor your temps!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 AM
MarekN
Racer

Yes, I can confirm that after 12.000 km the radiators are dented in some places by small rocks, in fact one rock about 3 mm across is lodged into the central radiator and I don´t want to take it out because I don´t want to mess up the surrounding area.

The one thing that is keeping me from doing anything about it is that the GT3 looks best without any protection at all.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Hanz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by willr
Yes, on a trackday just before I fitted some mesh I got a cracked windscreen and a stone through the central radiator. Total cost £1300.
Sorry to hear that. I had plenty of track day induced dings and dents in my prior 997 C2S radiators but never a puncture. Its funny you should mention the windscreen (maybe this has been talked about elsewhere) is it just me or is Porsche using incredibly soft auto glass? I've got many small ****** in the windscreen.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I have a crack, and 3 small chips in my windscreen. I compared it to a Cayman at the track and he had similar problems and neither of us drive on the highway except to get to the track and we're both careful about following trucks.

His glass was from germany, my gt3 glass was from czech, same crappy glass. I would have figured for absolute sure that Porsche would have used better glass considering their cars are meant for the autobahn.. or maybe they don't have rocks there.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 88 Posts

I had Princeton Porsche install the screens. The off the shelf parts weren't available, so they just made them themselves and had them powder coated. Same coast. They look great, and given the amount of crud that I clean off the screens instead of the radiators - well worth the money.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanz
Sorry to hear that. I had plenty of track day induced dings and dents in my prior 997 C2S radiators but never a puncture. Its funny you should mention the windscreen (maybe this has been talked about elsewhere) is it just me or is Porsche using incredibly soft auto glass? I've got many small ****** in the windscreen.
Originally Posted by Brian S
I have a crack, and 3 small chips in my windscreen. I compared it to a Cayman at the track and he had similar problems and neither of us drive on the highway except to get to the track and we're both careful about following trucks.

His glass was from germany, my gt3 glass was from czech, same crappy glass. I would have figured for absolute sure that Porsche would have used better glass considering their cars are meant for the autobahn.. or maybe they don't have rocks there.
I think one of the problems is that on the GT3 they use lighter weight or thinner glass as per the press materials- I've always thought that porsche glass got speckled or chipped too easily...
Old 10-06-2008, 02:54 PM
eriojas
Track Day

Originally Posted by Brian S
Because the gt3 isn't meant to be a street driven car, although the birds I hit are always on the track. I'm not exactly sure what would have happened to the grill without the filter material in place but the white dove (small bird) dented the radiator past just the thin fins. not enough to cause a leak but you can certainly see the impact mark from 120mph or so when I hit him. I too ask myself why porsche didn't design this better and if it's required.. but I am happy with my solution.

My screens obviously impact air flow more than say a carbon or steel mesh, you can see in that picture above that you can not see all the way through it even on the ground. That being said I drove for over half a tank of gas almost straight (time enough to come in for water) last weekend in 102 degree weather with 80% humidity and I never saw over 175 degrees on the water temp and never more than 1 mark below the 250 degree mark on the oil (240 maybe?)

saturday going to the racetrack a stone made a hole in my radiator, i was looking into the screens, now a new radiator is needed, two questions:

the AC filters you installed did you just squeeze them into the holes, and are they all they way back on the radiators or you leave some space between the filters and the radiators?

second, anyone that has replaced radiators, about how much did the dealer charged you? im in mexico so theres no way to have a second quote on the reapair.

thks

Here is a picture of the entire front of the car, it was parked in the garage backwards last night so I couldn't get it until now. And it's still not clean :P
jjjjjjjjj
Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM
eriojas
Track Day

Originally Posted by eriojas
jjjjjjjjj
sorry about the last post, messed up

saturday going to the racetrack a stone made a hole in my radiator, i was looking into the screens, now a new radiator is needed, two questions:

the AC filters you installed did you just squeeze them into the holes, and are they all they way back on the radiators or you leave some space between the filters and the radiators?

second, anyone that has replaced radiators, about how much did the dealer charged you? im in mexico so theres no way to have a second quote on the reapair.

thks
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

i made some grille screens from OSH. it was made of stainless steel and powder coated gloss black. here is a link to some more pictures

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...le-screen.html

Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of us install screens because we think that it is inevitable that the radiators will get damaged. Has anyone actually punctured a radiator?
I had a rock puncture the left side radiator/cooler on my 996 GT3, during a track day. Needless to say cargraphic grills were installed on my 997 as soon as I could get them. They look just like the pics above. I've noticed that most Cup cars have a more aggressive version.

Robin
Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet
i made some grille screens from OSH. it was made of stainless steel and powder coated gloss black. here is a link to some more pictures
Do you have a link or info on where to buy the screen?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Originally Posted by todinlaw
frank.. in the first link i posted, i stated i got them from OSH its really a BBQ grille

Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

The AC filters are just slightly larger than the openings, reach around and get an idea because they are quite large on the sides. They fit directly on top and compression just holds them in place. This last set has lasted since my last post and have not moved but they've collected a lot of insects so I will most likely replace them soon for $5 and 10 minutes of labor now that I have a set that I can copy.

I still believe in the AC filters as padding over the screens for protection. I have yet to see a screen install that I believe would stand up to a 120mph white dove impact that my filter has with only some fins bent under the impact mark. I also have yet to see anybody else hit a bird directly in the radiator, but rocks are a common threat that I may or may not have hit but most of the fins on the radiators are still straight.

Last edited by Brian S; 10-07-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I bought mine at TRG. Around 350.00 . No problems since installation 18months ago.

JoeD

Quick Reply: Grill screens