Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Grill screens

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM
docron7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the mesh filters (Brian S) beginning a few months ago. Work great all summer. Amazed at the amt. of debris that ends up in the intakes. Best idea I've seen for a while. Just try it before you spend hundreds on fancy screens
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 AM
daytonaviolet
Racer

here's the finished OSH grilles on the car

Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM
eriojas
Track Day

Originally Posted by Brian S
The AC filters are just slightly larger than the openings, reach around and get an idea because they are quite large on the sides. They fit directly on top and compression just holds them in place. This last set has lasted since my last post and have not moved but they've collected a lot of insects so I will most likely replace them soon for $5 and 10 minutes of labor now that I have a set that I can copy.

I still believe in the AC filters as padding over the screens for protection. I have yet to see a screen install that I believe would stand up to a 120mph white dove impact that my filter has with only some fins bent under the impact mark. I also have yet to see anybody else hit a bird directly in the radiator, but rocks are a common threat that I may or may not have hit but most of the fins on the radiators are still straight.
Hi Brian, just bought the AC filters al Walmart, 3.50 dls, do you by any chance have the measurements for the three protectors?

thks
Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eriojas
Hi Brian, just bought the AC filters al Walmart, 3.50 dls, do you by any chance have the measurements for the three protectors?

thks
I don't, and it's kind of tricky because the sides are considerably larger than you would expect because they fit so far in the intakes. Just feel around inside and cut larger than you think, see where you need to adjust it. Mine are not a specific size, I just trace the same set over and over now and they are not square (the sides are kind of square with one corner cut at a 30 degree angle) and the middle is more trapezoid shaped.

I would take mine out and measure them for you but my car has been in the shop for the past week for a front main seal leak, no ETA on the return.

I'm glad you are trying the filters first though, you will be happy once you get them right. I am still on the set from when I did those last pictures, I just pull them out and tap out the dragonflys and other large creatures every once in a while.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I think one of the problems is that on the GT3 they use lighter weight or thinner glass as per the press materials- I've always thought that porsche glass got speckled or chipped too easily...
i had to replace a windshield last year after a track day. it had a 4" linear crack at the upper driver side. i dont recall a rock hitting it and there was no impact spot either. i assume the chassis flexed at speed and glass cracked.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 PM
eriojas
Track Day

thks again, hope your car goe back to you soon, if you get and you could give me the measurements, great.

about the middle one, after the center radiator was changed, i saw that the top part of the radiator is very close to the bumper, the bottom part is far back, i cant see where to stuff the filter between the radiator and bumper, i dont know if it was like this before, or maybe the dealer didnt install it right, dont have any available car to check against, anyone know if this is how is it supposed to be?
if its correct, then how did you attach the top part of the ac filter for the center intake?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

thks again, hope your car goe back to you soon, if you get and you could give me the measurements, great.

about the middle one, after the center radiator was changed, i saw that the top part of the radiator is very close to the bumper, the bottom part is far back, i cant see where to stuff the filter between the radiator and bumper, i dont know if it was like this before, or maybe the dealer didnt install it right, dont have any available car to check against, anyone know if this is how is it supposed to be?
if its correct, then how did you attach the top part of the ac filter for the center intake?
The trick is to oversize the middle one and stuff it in there, the bottom will hold it in the other GT3's I've seen.

My car has a laser deflector there, so it is held by that as well.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:37 PM
eriojas
Track Day

The trick is to oversize the middle one and stuff it in there, the bottom will hold it in the other GT3's I've seen.

My car has a laser deflector there, so it is held by that as well.
read in the crankcase leak thread, you got your car back, i hope everything was sorted out well, drive safely.

if you can get the measurements, would appreciate it.

thks again.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

read in the crankcase leak thread, you got your car back, i hope everything was sorted out well, drive safely.

if you can get the measurements, would appreciate it.

thks again.
No time tonight, it's really not that hard but I'll try and get some measurements soon but they are not square or easy to describe.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
eriojas
Track Day

No time tonight, it's really not that hard but I'll try and get some measurements soon but they are not square or easy to describe.
ok thanks, if its too much trouble, really, its ok, you´ve been very helful.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a black 7GT3 at Porsche of Fairfield, CT last weekend, the dealer showed me the black mesh grills he'd had installed and said they recommended it to customers to prevent radiator damage. I didn't ask whether it was OEM or not, but it looked very good.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 AM
eriojas
Track Day

i installed the mesh this weekend, it wasnt hard at all, just measured some, cut the filter, checked the fitment, cut a little again and the fit was perfect for all air ducts, thks brian, great idea and DIY, took about 10 minutes, well 15 because of the two beers....
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

i installed the mesh this weekend, it wasnt hard at all, just measured some, cut the filter, checked the fitment, cut a little again and the fit was perfect for all air ducts, thks brian, great idea and DIY, took about 10 minutes, well 15 because of the two beers....
great job, I wouldn't have had time until saturday to get measure them out properly.

Quick Reply: Grill screens