Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brutal GT 3 crash

Wow...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=134366
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Reminds me of an open wheel wreck. Unbelievable youtube footage.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/437656-for-the-harness-bar-lovers.html
See here
Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 AM
AFAlinebacker42
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol on that site Black V12 asks if anyone knows what happened in that picture.

yeah, he hit the wall - going very fast - and flipped in front of a ford focus and some corner workers :-P
Old 06-22-2008, 02:26 AM
maximus951
Advanced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F7Kh...eature=related
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 AM
neros
Advanced

[youtube]_MczoR1LVh0[/youtube]
Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Code brown moment for the coner workers too.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Lucky camera man as well.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoT3
Interesting catapult.

What really astonishes me is the track crew -- does that track have a policy of "we hire the morbidly obese?" I'm a little flabby around the middle, so I know I'm throwing stones and I don't mind if someone isn't interested in keeping fit, but hell, if you take a job where you're expected to save lives and step into the breach ... can those people seriously do any good in an emergency that requires physical strength and stamina?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

He's not "both feet in"!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Inclined to agree about faith in corner workers at tracks, if not for the reasons stated. I always think of them as saviors, and thus highly. This video, taken at last weekend's ALMS race at MMP, has me wondering about my previous assumptions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXxwWBR1-4k

After the car rolls to a stop, I count:
-7 seconds before the door opens and driver gets out.
-14 seconds until the video cuts with (still) no help on scene. Wonder how much video was cut (enough that it was either boring to watch or indicative of a problem?)
-After the safety truck rolls to a stop, another 17 seconds before the first retardant is sprayed.

Of course, I wonder if the Falken car could have found a fire station, or at least a corner worker with an extinguisher before stopping (which let flames engulf the car). That said, it's gotta be tough to keep your cool when your car is on fire! Then again, the car was rolling around ON FIRE for a bit... one might think some mobilization was in effect.

Glad Sellers was not hurt, and even gladder they got the car back together — but I do wonder what a similar scenario at a track day/DE would look like, and am reminded how important it is for all of us to be able to exit a burning car quickly — especially if the driver's door cannot be opened for some reason.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
neros
Advanced

Originally Posted by excmag
Inclined to agree about faith in corner workers at tracks, if not for the reasons stated. I always think of them as saviors, and thus highly. This video, taken at last weekend's ALMS race at MMP, has me wondering about my previous assumptions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXxwWBR1-4k

After the car rolls to a stop, I count:
-7 seconds before the door opens and driver gets out.
-14 seconds until the video cuts with (still) no help on scene. Wonder how much video was cut (enough that it was either boring to watch or indicative of a problem?)
-After the safety truck rolls to a stop, another 17 seconds before the first retardant is sprayed.

Of course, I wonder if the Falken car could have found a fire station, or at least a corner worker with an extinguisher before stopping (which let flames engulf the car). That said, it's gotta be tough to keep your cool when your car is on fire! Then again, the car was rolling around ON FIRE for a bit... one might think some mobilization was in effect.

Glad Sellers was not hurt, and even gladder they got the car back together — but I do wonder what a similar scenario at a track day/DE would look like, and am reminded how important it is for all of us to be able to exit a burning car quickly — especially if the driver's door cannot be opened for some reason.
The response time was pathetic. I was at the race and saw the car right after the fire extra crispy. First of all, the fire hose they used stopped working after a couple of seconds forcing the crew to switch to fire extinguishers. Then, they were kind of all over the place with the extinguishers without a proper sweep from the bottom up. The fire was allegedly caused by the carbon fiber overheating near the exhaust and catching on fire.
Falken did a great job changing the engine and re-wrapping the car in a couple of hours though and they were able to make the race.

Check out this video from the first ALMS race of the season. It was a similar situation and the response time was slow as well. That's why I always wear fire suits even for DE events which have half the staff. You just never know especially with street cars with no fire extinguishers or fuel cells...

[youtube]Df2-eDLQOuA[/youtube]
Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO corner workers should always be positioned so they can be behind / duck behind a barrier.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

posted that long time ago!

Quick Reply: Brutal GT 3 crash