Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you buy a facelift 997 GT3 or RS without a GT1 motor for track use??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
what ever goes in the cups. I think I will keep my 996 for a few more years or go to a Lotus or Noble then to the 998 or what ever they are going to call it.
trust me, DO NOT go the noble route.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Bucking, its just that some of us would prefer "Porsche" did the proving by racing the thing first in the real world. I can't speak for others but I don't have a bottomless pit of cash to do their real world track testing for them.

The porsche of 20-30 years ago was more about building the best race cars and motors (and thus reputation) that they could whereas the modern day Porsche is more about selling more cars and returning a profit to investors. One would have to question a product that is built to maximise returns....

We ain't shooting down the new motor, we'd rather be shown by Porsche that its up to the task before parting with the cash for a track machine...
So the theory is that Porsche is going with a new wet sump engine across the entire street product line (including GTx) but stick with the GT1 dry sump (or some other dry sump variant) for the racing line? How can they homologate Cup cars, RSR, etc. with a different engine than the street GT3's?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the next engine retains the characteristics (8400 rpm+, etc.) of the existing engine and delivers the necessary power and torque increases to remain competitive, so be it. Perish the thought of the GT3 becoming a Carrera S with a power kit on the new DI heads.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

One of the reasons I bought the GT3 and GT3 RS is because the the GT1 motor and being able to trace it back to racing. I would probably try to buy a GT1 based GT2 or GT1 based cup car rather than a new GT3 variant based upon a non race proven engine.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
So the theory is that Porsche is going with a new wet sump engine across the entire street product line (including GTx) but stick with the GT1 dry sump (or some other dry sump variant) for the racing line? How can they homologate Cup cars, RSR, etc. with a different engine than the street GT3's?
The suggestion on the Driver Republic article in the other post was that the new street motor in the new Carreras is stronger and more developable according to the head of engine development. Thus the suggestion or assumption is that it could replace the gt1 motor presumably in all cars... and for that reason I suppose the RSR as it needs to be homologated..

Doesn't make much sense since it certainly isn't competition proven but this is what they seem to be eluding too potentially.

As stated previously, if they were to take this path, I'd want to see it in "their" race cars completing and winning endurance events as did the gt1 motor before I'm parting with cash for a track car that potentially is just a CarreraS with X51 upgrade...
Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

The wet sumps are like 10k right? And the dry sumps 40k? So if the next GT3 has a wetsump I expect it to be 106+6-30 = 82k new including inflation? Sign me up for that. Otherwise...
Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

A crate 996 motor is $8K
I just had a friend buy one. A GT3 motor is $45K.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

This was what I was eluding to when posting also. Apart from the unknown reliability of the new motor, effectively we'd be buying a car with a motor worth US$30-40k less. Would Porsche be passing on the saving? I think not!!!

" Here you go sir, take this stripped out poverty pack Carrera S with wings and will be throwing in this gt3 badge for a super low $110k + extras" ... I can just see it know...

and...

"Oh whats that? You've thrown a piston out the side of the block on a track day, Thats unusual with our NASA pump!... Warranty won't cover that... It's a shame you ain't driving a Carrera S or it would be $10k but for the gt3 it'll be $45k because it says gt3 on the cover..." lol...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am now very disappointed. Here I was all excited that a PDK GT3 was in my future. Now I will have to fret about it until they come out and we have a definitive answer on the engine, in what 6 to 9 months? Perhaps I will end up adding a V8 M3 to the fleet.....
Old 06-19-2008, 12:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This was what I was eluding to when posting also. Apart from the unknown reliability of the new motor, effectively we'd be buying a car with a motor worth US$30-40k less. Would Porsche be passing on the saving? I think not!!!

" Here you go sir, take this stripped out poverty pack Carrera S with wings and will be throwing in this gt3 badge for a super low $110k + extras" ... I can just see it know...

and...

"Oh whats that? You've thrown a piston out the side of the block on a track day, Thats unusual with our NASA pump!... Warranty won't cover that... It's a shame you ain't driving a Carrera S or it would be $10k but for the gt3 it'll be $45k because it says gt3 on the cover..." lol...
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:45 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
I am now very disappointed. Here I was all excited that a PDK GT3 was in my future. Now I will have to fret about it until they come out and we have a definitive answer on the engine, in what 6 to 9 months? Perhaps I will end up adding a V8 M3 to the fleet.....
Don't be disappointed yet. This is ALL spectulation.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and...

Old 06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts
Default I think ...

It all depends ...

If they put the wet sump into the cup cars etc then that I think would prove the engine on track, you have to figure that they need to do something to counter the V8 M3's etc that will start to appear in competition ...

We *might* get the 3.8L headed version of the GT1 engine in the next GT3 ...

I think I'd still put a deposit on one if only someone would take one!

- Larry
Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
It all depends ...

If they put the wet sump into the cup cars etc then that I think would prove the engine on track, you have to figure that they need to do something to counter the V8 M3's etc that will start to appear in competition ...

We *might* get the 3.8L headed version of the GT1 engine in the next GT3 ...

I think I'd still put a deposit on one if only someone would take one!

- Larry
The speculation isn't helping, but I have a deposit on one for the reason you've stated-ie.upgraded gt1 motor.

If anything else goes into the car, I'll be taking it back and waiting to see it proven on track before making the purchase. Tough call but I'm not interested in parting with $300k for a dud...
Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Porsche does this, before you know it they'll require all GT3's to have sunroofs.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a facelift 997 GT3 or RS without a GT1 motor for track use??