Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

I asked this question on about page 4 of the thread on RMs and I think it got lost in the shuffle so here goes again and I would appreciate some feedback quickly as I'm off to the dealer again today to check on the progress of the "new" seal install in my GT3

At normal operating temps and at cruise 2500 RPM plus, what oil pressure are you seeing? The owners manual says 3.5 to 4 bars is normal. On my car above 2000 RPM the gauge is pegged at 5 bars (maximum gauge indicates and stays there until RPMS drop below 2000 RPM. Thus you really can't tell what the actual oil pressure is. I've never seen it constantly that high on any other Porsche. It does drop to 1 bar at idle. Don't know if it is an actual pressure issue or just a gauge thing. I appreciate the quick responses Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 AM
rsman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your oil pressure readings are normal
Old 06-07-2008, 05:30 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

From the single reply I must assume that everyone's oil pressure gauge is pegged on the high side ie 5 BARS when the engine RPM is above 2000 RPM and at normal operating temp. If this is the case why bother to have a gauge. You will not be able to see if the pressure should rise and if it should fall off of pegged it would be a sign of problems. Again the owners manual as I remember states 3.5 to 4 BARS at cruise thus not at the top peg of the gauge. Responses please.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went for a drive today and the gauge for the most part was at 5 except at idle once the motor was warm.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
SGonzo
Advanced

Oil gage at 5, except at idle. My advice is if you get the RMS leak again, buy the LWFW kit and have it installed at the time of the RMS repair. I just did that to my GT3 and the LWFW really makes the engine feel more "lively"
Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses which of course, prompts the next question to Porsche. "Why put an oil pressure or any gauge in a car that is basically worthless?". The gauge going to max at a low RPM gives the driver no feedback as to what the oil presure really is. Guess they just had a blank hole to fill in the dash. Also as I have said before the owners manual as I remember it (my GT3 is still in the shop) states 3.5 to 4 BARS at cruise and normal operating temp. Interesting
Old 06-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has started to show 4 to 4.5 bar (slightly fluctuating) at ~2000 to 2500 rpm slow highway-cruise. As soon as I accelerate it goes to 5. When I first picked up the car and during the first 2-300 miles it was constantly pegged at 5 bars.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 AM
MarekN
Racer

When fully warm on a hot day, idle pressure hovers around 0,9 to 1,1 bar.

At 3000 rpm on constant throttle it is 5 bar.

When backing off slowly from higher rpm, it stays at 5 bar until about 2600 rpm.

At constant throttle at 2000 rpm the pressure hovers around 3,5 bar.

The car (MY 08 GT3) had a per-manual run-in, is on it´s second oil change and now has 13,000 km.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

I had the same questions after getting the car. The oil pressure seemed very high. Higher than it says it should be in the manual.

I was told by the dealer that it's normal to the 997 GT3.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i researched this question extensively one year ago to the day when i noted this same thing on my car. it seems the needle is pegged once above idle. makes no sense but thats the deal.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
MarekN
Racer

Spiderman, that´s definitely not the case in my car. If you are subtle with the throttle, you can drive the oil pressure needle up and down the scale all day.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I got my GT3 back today after the third RMS install and it gave me a chance to read the page in the owners manual concerning oil pressure. It clearly states:

at normal operating temp. the oil pressure should read 3.5 BARS at 3000 RPM

The technical manual at the dealer's states at 5000 RPM and at normal operating temp it should read 3.5 BARS or slightly higher...... neither manual indicates a pegged gauge at 5 BARS is normal.

For all those with RMS leaks the owners manual also states Do not drive the vehicle with a known oil leak.

On the 65 mile trip at highway speeds home from the dealership my oil pressure gauge was pegged on the high side when above 2000 RPM unless the engine was coasting on deceleration and then and only then would it come off the peg until well below 2400 RPM
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the new RMS, I hope the seal works this time around.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

More on oil pressure. I have spoken several times to a pleasent Lady from Porsche whose title is Field Technical Manager and the bottom line is she has stated several times to me that the gauge pegged at the high side at cruise is normal. I have then asked her how do you tell if you have abnormally high oil pressure? No answer was provided. Those that have been around engines for any length of time know that all engines have operating limits including oil pressure and the operator should be able to see if the engine is exceeding those limits either on the high or low side. ... that has always been the case in aircraft I have owned and flew and vehicles I have driven. Oh she did say in an e mail that at 2500 RPM ( at normal operating temp.) oil pressure as measured by a tester should read 5 bars. She does not say where this tester should be attached and read or why the gauge pegs so quickly. She went on to say any technical questions should be addressed to the service manager at my local dealership. The service professionals at my dealership are great as shortly after I got the e-mail the local Service Manager called to say he had gotten a copy of the e-mail and done additional research. He is ordering a part to modify thus producing a special tool so he can attach a calibrated gauge and read oil pressure at the same place as the gauge sender on my engine. As I have said several times I could not be happier with the pro-active interest the dealer. My purpose in all this is not to make a mountain out of a hill or to get anyone in trouble but I just want to know what my oil pressure is and be able to tell if it become abnormally high..... and I'm convinced that was the factories intention. It is a very expensive engine that I want to protect. I'm sure there is more to come after they measure the true oil pressure.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all my years of motoring, I've never had an issue with HIGH oil pressure, it's always been with LOW oil pressure. I would expect the intent of the gauge is to warn you if you have low oil pressure during high rpm driving.

This was often the case with 944 Turbos causing the #2 bearing problem. After sustained high rpm, high g-force driving, the oil pressure would drop and you'd see scary numbers at very high rpm's. That was time to pull in and save the engine.

You've paid a tremendous amount of money for a transportation device; I'd suggest letting Porsche figure this out, even if it takes them 10 tries. I feel for you and the others with repeated RMS problems, but you've paid for the warranty so why not use it.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure