Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
In all my years of motoring, I've never had an issue with HIGH oil pressure, it's always been with LOW oil pressure. I would expect the intent of the gauge is to warn you if you have low oil pressure during high rpm driving.

This was often the case with 944 Turbos causing the #2 bearing problem. After sustained high rpm, high g-force driving, the oil pressure would drop and you'd see scary numbers at very high rpm's. That was time to pull in and save the engine.

You've paid a tremendous amount of money for a transportation device; I'd suggest letting Porsche figure this out, even if it takes them 10 tries. I feel for you and the others with repeated RMS problems, but you've paid for the warranty so why not use it.
I would agree with you that the majority of oil pressure malfunctions are low oil pressure HOWEVER a high oil pressure (right now not evident as the gauge is pegged) could lead to a blown seal, loss of oil and oil pressure and the resultant issues of low or no oil pressure. My point is the German's at the Porsche factory made the effort and expense to put a gauge in the GT3 AND additionally printed a specific statement as to what it should read in the owners manual. Couple that with our rather significant investment and I for one monitor all the gauges, if there is a malfunction and or failure I want the fix to be clearly a warranty issue if I followed the procedures as laid out in the owners manual..... I guess I have some German in me.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:53 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you f4 when it comes to stressing out about something when it's written in the book, but doesn't mesh with reality. As I'm getting older, I'm trying not to be so OCD with my cars, but some small things still drive me to insanity (ie, door dings, rattles, etc).
Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any chance of a pic (or better a video) of the gauge when it's registering from say idle to full scale (say 4000 rpm) please?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Any chance of a pic (or better a video) of the gauge when it's registering from say idle to full scale (say 4000 rpm) please?
Don't honestly see the purpose.As I have stated at the start of this tread: There is a picture in the owner's manual of the oil pressure gauge. As I've said AT idle (again normal operating temp) the gauge reads 1 bar as stated in the manual. As the RPM rises the needle quickly rise and when above 2000 RPM it is approaching 5 BARS (that is the maximum reading on the gauge) AT cruise RPM, 2400-2780 depending on speed the gauge is firmly pegged at the top of the case (5 BARS) and stays there until the engine decelerates down to around 2200 RPM

Again the owners manual is very clear in stating that at 3000 RPM (again normal operating temp) the gauge should read 3.5 bars or mid-scale. As you can see mine reads MUCH higher as to many others, never seen this in a Porsche. The Technical shop manual states that at 5000 RPM (agin normal operating temp) the oil pressre gauge should read 3.5 bars or slightly higher.

As I have said before one that pegs on the high side so early serves no purpose and the Germans do not do anything that does not have a purpose. Hope this clears it up for you. Thanks
Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Don't honestly see the purpose.As I have stated at the start of this tread: There is a picture in the owner's manual of the oil pressure gauge. As I've said AT idle (again normal operating temp) the gauge reads 1 bar as stated in the manual. As the RPM rises the needle quickly rise and when above 2000 RPM it is approaching 5 BARS (that is the maximum reading on the gauge) AT cruise RPM, 2400-2780 depending on speed the gauge is firmly pegged at the top of the case (5 BARS) and stays there until the engine decelerates down to around 2200 RPM

Again the owners manual is very clear in stating that at 3000 RPM (again normal operating temp) the gauge should read 3.5 bars or mid-scale. As you can see mine reads MUCH higher as to many others, never seen this in a Porsche. The Technical shop manual states that at 5000 RPM (again normal operating temp) the oil pressure gauge should read 3.5 bars or slightly higher.

As I have said before one that pegs on the high side so early serves no purpose and the Germans do not do anything that does not have a purpose. Hope this clears it up for you. Thanks
Old 06-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt

Again the owners manual is very clear in stating that at 3000 RPM (again normal operating temp) the gauge should read 3.5 bars or mid-scale. As you can see mine reads MUCH higher as to many others, never seen this in a Porsche. The Technical shop manual states that at 5000 RPM (again normal operating temp) the oil pressure gauge should read 3.5 bars or slightly higher.

Sounds like this is driving you crazy.

The pic / vid would allow others to see if the gauge appears to be FSD or an analog reading on the scale.

At present, it sounds like either the sender or the gauge has an electrical problem. Gauges with a poor ground can tend to behave in the way you describe. Uncommon, but hardly in the "never" category for 911's. It could be as simple as a filter.

As for Germans and their products, the "teutonic" generalizations can be fun, but you might be taking it just a tad too far when it comes to a bung gauge. Hopefully it's nothing more. The dealer should be willing to have a tech test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge as well as compare the gauge activity on your car side-by-side with a similar car. If it's as pronounced as you describe, they shouldn't have to do anything more than eyeball it. Did this not happen some time during the 3rd RMS replacement (or prior attempts?)

Back to my fascination with solving things visually instead of trusting customer descriptions, a pic of each of the seals going into the car (and coming out) would also be useful.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure