Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

4 SALE: HRE C21 WHEELS (19X12 19X9.5)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
jeepnee driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 SALE: HRE C21 WHEELS (19X12 19X9.5)

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by jeepnee driver; 06-07-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: moved to classifieds.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

beautiful wheels. Looks like the Sharkwerks ones. Does HRE do the pinstriping in house now?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm curious to understand what a "proprietary" offset might be. Given these have known widths and fit the hubs of a narrow body GT3, where's the intellectual property?

ps. I'm not meaning to comment on the wheels or their price, just the nonsense of a wheel maker suggesting they've got some secret sauce. : )
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
jeepnee driver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm curious to understand what a "proprietary" offset might be. Given these have known widths and fit the hubs of a narrow body GT3, where's the intellectual property?

ps. I'm not meaning to comment on the wheels or their price, just the nonsense of a wheel maker suggesting they've got some secret sauce. : )
That's the response I got from them when I requested the actual offsets. I think it has do with other wheel manufactures duplicating their wheel designs, which I can understand based on the amount of R&D they do to get the fitment correct.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful wheels - but probably impossible to repair curb rash with black spray paint
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeepnee driver
That's the response I got from them when I requested the actual offsets. I think it has do with other wheel manufactures duplicating their wheel designs, which I can understand based on the amount of R&D they do to get the fitment correct.
And that might make sense in the market for a few months before general availability or in a low production volume car like the forthcoming 8C Competizione, but for a GT3 or RS in the market since '06, it's a strange position to take.

Also, you can measure the dimensions of the wheel for yourself with nothing more than a straight ruler and a square, so it's not as if they're at all protecting themselves from their competitors. After all, wheel manufacturers are at the expense, deep end of the pool and they're not about to build a wheel based on hearsay, they'll just buy a set new (about the same cost as a single tool setup on a CNC machine) and reverse engineer whatever caliper clearances or other dimensions they're curious to study. There's a public work shop near here with a 3D digitizer capable of reverse engineering components, assembling the virtual elements in software and "printing" the parts in 3D using plastic printers (stereo lithography)

That said, for sure, building a wheel is not a simple game and wheel builders have their own vocabulary of arcane mumbo jumbo that I don't profess to keep in mind. And HRE is a top shelf brand, but hell, I doubt they know anything about a 911 that numerous other makers don't know from the last half century or so. : )
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 PM
TripleM
Racer

These are custom wheels so there's nothing wrong for not revealing the offsets..
DPE, IForged are similar names doing these kinda practice
Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TripleM
These are custom wheels so there's nothing wrong for not revealing the offsets..
DPE, IForged are similar names doing these kinda practice

Custom wheels? What does that mean? Custom to the owner or custom to the car? Seriously -- how is it a wheel maker could purport to have "custom" (or proprietary) dimensions for the basic measurements of a wheel to fit a production car? Perhaps they're saying their measurements are so valuable in the market that they deserve patent protection or an intellectual property copyright, but those processes are unsatisfactory (presumably in terms of time to market, cost or effective protection against infringement) but again, for something with a known and decidedly limited set of variables, how can a wheel maker argue that they've invented the wheel within a wheel?

Pish posh I say sir! Pish posh!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:32 PM
TripleM
Racer

In all honesty, I dont particularly like the so called not telling you the offsets thingy but that's the way it's done. All these makers assure flushed fitments to the cars. And in many cases, some car owners would want to have this X inch of lip depth. So I guess that is why it's called custom wheels.

Unlike BBS, Neez, Volk...HRE, Iforged and DPE dont have any tabulated info that shows specific wheels for a specific car. If one wants to a set of rims for M3, they hv the specs for the car and will be made to order. And if the recommended widths are 8.5 and 10Js but the car owner wants a 9 J in the front, they can get it done too based on their knowhow on the dimensions. Arent these things called Custom made wheels?

Quick Reply: 4 SALE: HRE C21 WHEELS (19X12 19X9.5)