Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rotor Update – drilled slotted or both

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 DE days now two at Laguna and 2 at BW. I am new to the P-Car but not new to DEs. My Fronts are stressed cracked as others have described. Of bigger concern though is that I have to increase my breaking distances though the day. I tried to follow Mooty at BW last friday and quickly saw that he could go much deeper than I. I am concerned that the cracks could become more severe at a moment I would not like (like not when I am sitting in the paddack but on track... ).

On my 97 M3 we went to Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors and their 01 Compound pad and since have been completely happy, thus I am strongly considering the PFC Direct Drive Rotors for the Front and their 01 pad.

Questions: Anyone use them? Can I continue to use the stock rear rotors and pads? Would it be better to use the PFC 97 pad on the rear with the stock rotor? apparently there is no 01 pad for the rear.

Thanks

I think I am going to need to dump the stock shocks too.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by fjpdds
I called Protosport today, and talked to their GT3 rotor man. He was helpful and reassuring. I described the condition of my rotors & their use. Blue color and rubbing when hand spun.
He says the following: that is okay and is what happens with DE use. They will talk to you when really warped, vibration and shudder under braking. I am fine for now, but to replace them right away if that begins to occur. He would expect 5-6 DE's out of a set of Protosport, and only 1-2 out of OEM. He recommends I just replace the pagid pads for now.
I'll give that a try and see how it goes at Road Atlanta next week.
am i reading that correctly, did he say only 1-2 DE's for the OEM rotors
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
am i reading that correctly, did he say only 1-2 DE's for the OEM rotors
I think that is a bit conservative from what I have read. I have 5 DE's on mine although admittedly, my first two were not that hard on the car as I was not pushing it. Mooty's post consistent to what I read over the weekend when I did the search. that they are cooked around 1000 track miles.

Still looking for opinion on just changing out the front rotors with something new. I will keep the pads all the same,
Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Ok I can't wait for feedback, so today I am installing PFC Direct Drive Rotors on front. Installing PFC 97 Compound pads at all corners with SS Braided Lines and Motul 600 Brake Fluid. Sat-Sun it will be tested at Buttonwillow.
Cheers

PS: Stock front rotors weigh approx. 24 lbs each. PFC DD rotors weigh ~20 lbs. each.

Upon removing the Factory front pads, they are cracking and beginning to break up. Over 1/4" of material remains. They are Pagids (factory), but I don't know what compound, clearly they are not holding up to track use.

Last edited by Kevinlpl; 05-29-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
Ok I can't wait for feedback, so today I am installing PFC Direct Drive Rotors on front. Installing PFC 97 Compound pads at all corners with SS Braided Lines and Motul 600 Brake Fluid. Sat-Sun it will be tested at Buttonwillow.
Cheers

PS: Stock front rotors weigh approx. 24 lbs each. PFC DD rotors weigh ~20 lbs. each.

Upon removing the Factory front pads, they are cracking and beginning to break up. Over 1/4" of material remains. They are Pagids (factory), but I don't know what compound, clearly they are not holding up to track use.
Show us some pics.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I would love to try some PF rotors, but I don't want to use their pads since I'm completely satisfied with Pagid RS19's (except the price, but that's another story)
Old 05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Erik
I would love to try some PF rotors, but I don't want to use their pads since I'm completely satisfied with Pagid RS19's (except the price, but that's another story)
You will want to check size of Pagid 19/29 compared to the stock pad to determine if the PFC DD rotors will work. The stock pad will NOT work with the PFC DD rotor, I tried. Stock pad is a about 1/32 to wide. The PFC pads are about 1/8" narrower to make room for the hat. If the 19/29s are slightly narrower than the stock Pagid pad it could work.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

You will want to check size of Pagid 19/29 compared to the stock pad to determine if the PFC DD rotors will work. The stock pad will NOT work with the PFC DD rotor, I tried. Stock pad is a about 1/32 to wide. The PFC pads are about 1/8" narrower to make room for the hat. If the 19/29s are slightly narrower than the stock Pagid pad it could work
Just checked some used up Pagids against my stock pads that I took out the first week after I had the car. They are identical in size (which makes sense since Pagid PF50's are the stock pad). So no performance friction for me until they chance the hats. I'm okay with the Protosport ones, just don't like that they weight so much.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
I have 4 DE days now two at Laguna and 2 at BW. I am new to the P-Car but not new to DEs. My Fronts are stressed cracked as others have described. Of bigger concern though is that I have to increase my breaking distances though the day. I tried to follow Mooty at BW last friday and quickly saw that he could go much deeper than I. I am concerned that the cracks could become more severe at a moment I would not like (like not when I am sitting in the paddack but on track... ).

On my 97 M3 we went to Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors and their 01 Compound pad and since have been completely happy, thus I am strongly considering the PFC Direct Drive Rotors for the Front and their 01 pad.

Questions: Anyone use them? Can I continue to use the stock rear rotors and pads? Would it be better to use the PFC 97 pad on the rear with the stock rotor? apparently there is no 01 pad for the rear.

Thanks

I think I am going to need to dump the stock shocks too.
u can have stress crack to wazoo it's ok UNTIL, you have 3-4 cracks connecting hole to hole OR if the crack is reaching the outer edge of the disk.

i dont know the brk fluid you run or if the pads got glazed, but even if rotors are cracked, you shouldn't experience pedal feel change.

LS is not a good track to measure rotor life. one LS day is 2.5 BW day in brake usage. i can start stress cracking the rotors in 1/2 a day at LS.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
My fronts are going to need to be replaced soon. can I go ahead and leave OEM in the rear and go with a protosport replacement in the front?????
yes, that's how i run them.
proto front
oem rear
protosport doesn't make rear rotors. OEM is cheap for the rear so no one bothers to compete
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 AM
TripleM
Racer

So PFC does make the 2piece floating rotors with alu hat for 997GT3...
When I wrote to them, their reply said, sorry we dont make....wtf.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Default Brake Performance

Has anyone tried this rotor or have any comments on quality. ??

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...oogle.shopping
Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Update: PFC Brake set up worked excellent! I am very, very happy. Understand I am still learning to drive a P car. But compared to my first four times out, I could brake much later, and had very consistent brake feel both days. Same track (BW, with similar conditions, 85, a little wind, and plenty of Yahoos dragging dirt on to the track), as last week on the stock set up. A lot more confidence. For those who will find numbers helpful we were running 13 CW and I got down to 2:04s always with a passengers.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 AM
TripleM
Racer

JZMachtech of UK has got his now...check it out

http://www.jzmachtech.com/shells/dia...php?id_diag=23
Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleM
So PFC does make the 2piece floating rotors with alu hat for 997GT3...
When I wrote to them, their reply said, sorry we dont make....wtf.
If you hadn't seen, I think somewhere else it is mentioned that they don't officially make them for the 997, you have to use the 996 ones or something. Do a search for the details, but hopefully this explains your experience.

How much lighter were the pf rotors? (i should just search...).

Quick Reply: Rotor Update – drilled slotted or both