Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to leave them on. I can pretend that I have a real race car>>>>>

I use paint cleaner Meguires work fine.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
Several people have mentioned a product called 303. I'm not familiar with it personally but it sounds like good stuff for wheel well plastic, etc. Is there any reason for concern about using the product in such close proximity to metal components (suspension, brakes, etc)? Where are you buying it? Thanks.
I use 303 on my boat vinyl. It has a UV inhibitor. It is over kill and expensive to be useing on whell well plastic. Nope it will not hurt metal.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seefouress
Several people have mentioned a product called 303. I'm not familiar with it personally but it sounds like good stuff for wheel well plastic, etc. Is there any reason for concern about using the product in such close proximity to metal components (suspension, brakes, etc)? Where are you buying it? Thanks.
I believe its full name is "Aerospace Protectant 303" or something along those lines. Google it.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default rubber marks

Don't make the mistake I did. I had a detail guy clean and wax my car after my last DE event (I was lazy). Anyway, he did a great job cleaning the car and removing the rubber marks. He also removed a good portion of the clear bra (burned through in a least 4 areas). Looks like he "scrubbed" the bra the an abrasive. There are scratches throughout my hood and fenders. He tried to claim that he could "polish" out the abrasions from the bra. Obviously that won't work. I'm pretty frustrated since I just had a new bra placed a few weeks ago. The whole thing needs to be replaced. So much for taking the easy way out.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

What do you use to get the rubber out from between your teeth from smiling so much?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
Don't make the mistake I did. I had a detail guy clean and wax my car after my last DE event (I was lazy). Anyway, he did a great job cleaning the car and removing the rubber marks. He also removed a good portion of the clear bra (burned through in a least 4 areas). Looks like he "scrubbed" the bra the an abrasive. There are scratches throughout my hood and fenders. He tried to claim that he could "polish" out the abrasions from the bra. Obviously that won't work. I'm pretty frustrated since I just had a new bra placed a few weeks ago. The whole thing needs to be replaced. So much for taking the easy way out.
I think this is a matter for the detailer to take the hit and have the clear bra company remove and re-install the damaged areas at the expense of the detailer. It sounds like he didn't notice the clear bra and ran over it with whatever paint polish he shouldn't have been using in the first place ... Maybe he used a solvent because the tire rubber marks can be stubborn and he was in a hurry. Doesn't sound like a skilled "detailer" to me.

And you're right to be skeptical about letting this guy touch the paint ever again. Polishing is another word for "removing paint" which is the last thing you need done.

I keep seeing friend's cars go to "high end" detailers for what amounts to an unskilled laborer bashing around in the cabin with a shop vac then attacking the paint with a low speed angle grinder. Hopefully this detailer won't take the "dead beat defense." In fairness, I should mention a SMOG company dropped my car on a wheel chock and (thankfully) the only part damaged was the plastic tray under the transmission. It cost about $130 and I installed the new piece myself -- and the smog company paid the invoice on the part. So who knows -- every now and then you'll come across an ethical business operator. Maybe I'm being optimistic.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but a quick question on Simple Green. Does it work for removing rubber from the clear fender guards as well? I'm assuming people are buying the multi-purpose Simple Green? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but a quick question on Simple Green. Does it work for removing rubber from the clear fender guards as well? I'm assuming people are buying the multi-purpose Simple Green? Thanks!
The clear fender guards discolor anyway after a while, and Simple Green does work on them for removing rubber marks, but not as easily as on the painted surfaces.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thank you!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
F*ck!!! remind me not to use him again...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm bring an old thread back from the dead. I've found another product that works even better then anything else so far. Among the items that I have in my garage and have tried: WD40, Simple Green, 3M finess it on Flex, Mezerna on Flex, 3M adhesive remover, Plexus, Miracle Wash and others. Up until now my favorite was Miracle Wash, closely followed by 3M Adhesive remover. My main problem is that most of them work fine to great on painted surfaces, but lousy on the clear bra, and 80% of my car is covered in clear bra.
Somebody turned me onto Racer Eraser sold by Wine Country Motorsports among others, and so far it has been the best I've tried. I think it is a Citrus Degreaser, and as the name implies, specially made for us, but either way, it works fantastic. My clear bra is already damaged beyond control, and lots of rubber marks have permanently stained the bra, but it is worth a try.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
The most gentle and effective approach I found is this. It is effortless!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amw.aspx

2nd. Works great.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Easiest way I found is just leave them! Who cares, they will just show up the next weekend

Quick Reply: Cleaning rubber marks from track days - solution