Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
just attract RICH women.
Wrong. Attract women who like RICH guys.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get having a sunroof on a GT3, so imagine my confusion with a Turbo Cab...

PS: Actually, a Turbo Cab makes more sense than a GT3 with sunroof!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 11 Posts

I didnt WANT a sunroof and I didnt have a Choice.
Noel. People actually ORDER turbo cabs.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Last car was a turbo cab. Loved the torque and the open air driving. That being said, it sucked on the track. Did 30+ days in it. Was a fat pig in the twisties, but tore down the straights (typical pint and shoot driving). Absolutley no fun with all it's electronic gizmos and weight on track. Decided track performance and fun was more important than running down the street with the top down. Do I miss it for city driving, Yes. Do I miss it on the track...Hell no. But to each his own.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:36 PM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by supercup
OG - faster = more fun. If you get the cab, then drive the TT cab and you will get that too. I have not owned a cab, but after driving a TT cab I would own one in a second as my daily driver (which you can do is S. Calif.), but I would not buy a 997 Cab, just too slow.

I have a Cup car, so the RS seemed like a duplicate tool and sat in the garage most of the time. So a cab would/will be a worthy street car portion replacement. If I had no Cup then the dual purpose car (GT3 or RS) would be my car, but I don't consider it a daily driver, just a weekend car. With the Cup it is hard to justify another weekend car, but not a daily driver.

JCM

JCM

Substitute pro mazda for cup car and the above accurately summarizes my opinion also.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
LOL Tim
maybe I should be a be asking why anyone would buy a Porsche with no sound deading
Harsh suspension
a sucky stereo
with a really noisey exhaust?
hey, my 944 resents that... lol
Old 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

turbo cab makes the same sense amg sl, aston martin, jag xkr, maserati, ferrari, lambo, m6, s4, all make. seems many people like open top high end sports cars, me included. why should porsche ignore that market?

imo f1, alms, can am, etc are the best racing cars because of the fact they are open top. all my favorite racing cars are open top: 333sp, p spyder, 917 can am, 1990 ferrari f1.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
why should porsche ignore that market?
I'm not a fan of the TT Cab, but some people like it and have the money for it. So why not have it for them? It's still a great car and whoever buys one will probably not be taking it on the track.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul,

It's not about all out track time, rigidity etc. I have seen many open top cars at track events 914's etc. although I would never track an open top car.

My primary track car is a 951'S which I still love. Converting my 944 Cab to the same spec. for two reasons.

1. After driving the S with more power, turbo boost, sharper turn in etc. the cab feels soft and a bit boring.

2. Now having the extra boost in an open top car (for street use) is a little more xciting similar to driving a stripped down light weight track car, you hear and feel more open top. Just my opinion.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Some guys have actually opened my eyes. I am beginning to see if you really wanted a high performer
and the sun and only could have only one car the TT cab might make sense.
Bob, what you says makes alot of sense too.

I just didnt understand the
compromise. Take the biggest HP car then chop it all up and compromise its structural rigidity. To spoil the very thing it was designed to do. To make it what one poster called it, a pig on the track.
And Spiderman I dont consder a Jag, Aston Martin, a Mercedes, M6, S4 or Maserati on the same playing field with a Porsche Twin Turbo. Those cars are beach cruisers, and thats borne out by the fact in all my days at the tracks in California and Nevada I have never seen any of those cars anywhere but spectator parking. In fact I have seen more TTs on the track than all those cars AND Ferrari combined!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:35 PM
rop3
Pro

Well I have to say you start some interesting threads. BTW I am chopping the top off my RS (only kidding). Hit 1,200 miles today hoping to get to break in soon!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I start some on Fridays and Saturdays when more interesting people dont have time to start
threads. Its too hot here now to doing anything but stay inside and surf.
104 today. It was 70 last week. We had no acclimation time.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 AM
rop3
Pro

I was in Fla last weekend with some friends three straight days mid 90's high humidity almost to hot. Now back in NJ mid 50's cold and damp and sick.

I start some on Fridays and Saturdays when more interesting people dont have time to start
threads. Its too hot here now to doing anything but stay inside and surf.
104 today. It was 70 last week. We had no acclimation time.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

QUOTE=rmag;5419757]Last car was a turbo cab. Loved the torque and the open air driving. That being said, it sucked on the track. Did 30+ days in it. Was a fat pig in the twisties, but tore down the straights (typical pint and shoot driving). Absolutley no fun with all it's electronic gizmos and weight on track. Decided track performance and fun was more important than running down the street with the top down. Do I miss it for city driving, Yes. Do I miss it on the track...Hell no. But to each his own.[/QUOTE]

So true, and the turbo cab and coupe are BIG disappointment to me. I would never buy the turbo Coupe because I can get the superior GT3 for less and it is every bit as comfortable for daily driving. But I will tell you a little secret; that GT3 that your driving; it too is fat pig. But god damn is it an amazing fat pig.

Another Rennlist member came to visit me this past weekend for the second time and brought his family this time. We had a lot of fun and we went to the Lotus dealer to drive a brand new Exige S 240. He loved it and it is all he can talk about now. He still loves his 3 (how could he not), but wants to add a Lotus next to his 3. One of the first comments he made is how it reminded him of his old 70's or 80's 911 Targa (I really don't remember what he once had), only the Lotus was much, much better. The main point he was making though is that the simplicity of the car and light weight (Porsche used to build some pretty light 911's once) is what reminded him of it. But then driving it, the Lotus is razor sharp and has an engine drive train combo that you don't need to worry about.

We both decided that we would be getting an Elise/Exige Lotus and hopefully adding it to our wonderful GT3 (I already knew I would be doing that anyway, but I have another convert now). And although they are Targa tops, they are every bit as fun as a cab, but with a real rollover bar, no extra weight, etc... It really is a lot of fun to remove the roof from the Elise or Exige (yes you can do the same with the Exige, it is just an Elise with a standard hard top and can go topless just the same) and either enjoy a warm summer night of cruising, or tearing it up on the track.

If Porsche did not build the GT3, Porsche might as well not exist as far as I am concerned.

The updates for 2009 really scare me; Bi-xenon’s will now be standard on the regular 325 hp (which will be 345 or 350) 997. Sorry, but that SUCKS; I friggen HATE bi-xenon’s. All the crap that they are adding that Americans think these cars should have for the price (and modern times) are now being added along with more weight. I hate it. If the weight of the MKII 997 goes up, I will hate Porsche even more, but as I stated, I am only interested in the GT3. If the next GT3 comes standard with the bi-xenon’s and the turning headlights (I forgot about that one), then I am done with Porsche, other than keeping my MKI.

If the bi-xenon’s are the only thing they make you get, then I would consider it, but cut those god damn nipples off, get the old lights and rip those piece of crap heavy *** bi-xenon’s out, put the old lights with halogens in and get a new bumper. But if there are significant additions that are standard, and the weight goes up again, bye-bye Porsche; or at least bye, bye brand new Porsche.

They need to get their **** together and offer a club sport package for all of the 911 line including the GT3. It can have the new folding GT2 seats with all its blow up doll air bags attached (still too heavy and complex for me, but I can make some compromises), upgraded fully adjustable suspension (like the Lotus Track Pack; but this is not necessary, I can do an aftermarket), 18" light-weight FORGED wheels with the MPSC's or Corsa's is fine (again, not necessary, I can buy my own; wheels and tires are easy), and the brake options would be the same as they have now (Porsche brakes are excellent and they have the ceramics as an option if you like those). This Clubsport would just be a stripper model (mmmmmmmmmmm strippers..............). It would not have any options other than a basic piece of crap radio with 4 speakers and AC and it can have PSM (that does not bother me as long as you can turn it off). It would have light weight carpeting and light weight minimal sound deadening. No cost options would be as follows: Sunroof delete, rear seat delete, radio delete, AC delete. It would not have a harness bar in it or anything that would scare the **** DOT. You add that yourself later, not hard to do. But it would have all the attachment points welded in for a bar that is a Porsche motorsport one, not a fake Tequipment poseur one.

Why can't they do that? Is that too much to ask for? Oh, wait, I can just buy a Lotus; never mind.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

I have tried to justify this to myself and I cant. I have tried and tried to figure this out, and I cant come up with anything.
I can understand a Cabriolet
I can understand the Turbo.
But put the two together and I come up at a loss.
You want the sun get the sun
You want to go 180 mph get the Turbo
I know the most popular ferrari is the spyder but that kind of speaks for itself.
The look at me factor.... and they quit driving them at 2,900 miles. I dont think that applies here.
Does Porsche sell alot of turbo cabs?
I know.. I know.. the GT3 has a sunroof but I didnt ask for it. And the structural rigidity isn't compromised. I just think the Turbo cab is not the best way to use your Porsche dollar or Euro.
Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and by no way means that I am right.
Oh Thank God!.......I talk to people and say "what is that 911 cab thing?" and they dont care..........I go to Porsche Club meetings and ask the same question and whilst not confronted with actual violence, I am made to feel outcast! Finally someone else doesnt get it either! I am so happy to have found this thread...........I thought I was the only one!

Quick Reply: Anybody not understand a turbo cab?