Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anybody not understand a turbo cab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:10 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt mind a 911 cab. top down 911 cruising along the coast
but turbo cab I dont get.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I...
the LAST Thing I need is to start attracting more women. ....
just attract RICH women.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:30 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Porsche was a 2001 Boxster (non S) and I loved it. Then I thought I had to have a 911, that is the real deal. So I went for a 2003 996 Coupe back when you could steal them. I remember I already made the deal before I went out to Dallas to buy the car and had NEVER test driven a 911 of any kind and just assumed that I would love the 996. I remember being disappointed during the test drive thinking "what have I done, this car does not feel right, my 217 hp Boxster was better." So I bought the 996 (out of pride, I could not back out of the deal at that point) and quickly got used to it and liked it. Pretty damn cool in Seal Grey with the rocker panel option. I just needed to learn how to drive the thing; definetely different than a mid-engine car.

So I was getting used to the 996 and really liking it, but I missed the sun. So 3 months after I bought it, I called Dallas and asked if they had a Cab. They did, so I took off for Dallas and traded in my SG Coupe for an SG Cab with the same grey interior. I did not regret that move one bit; that top was down constantly and I had a blast! I did think though that a turbo cab would be even better. Why not, crazy power (for me anyway) and full leather (I always dreamed of having that one day), lower and tighter suspension, and the wide body and all the cool turbo ducts and ground effects; what's not to love! But a turbo coupe was way out of my price range, so forget the cab.

Then I ordered a Speed Yellow (I always wanted yellow) 997 right when they came out and could only afford a base car (non S and only a few options), plus they didn't have the cabs in the beginning. IMHO, the demo 997 Coupe that I test drove made my 996's (both coupe and cab) feel like pieces of junk. Night and day difference to me. The 997 was solid inside and out and more planted, and did not have the floating front end, better interior, cleaner exterior (especially the headlights), and, and , and ...

Then I discovered the magical Lotus Elise and forgot about Porsche's very existence. It has a targa top which I loved and had off very often; just as good as a cab but without the ridiculous weight and complexity of a Porsche Cab. Amazing how simple the Lotus roof is, and that it weighs about 10 lbs and rolls up; you can almost put it in your back pocket!

Now I have a 997 GT3. What is this Turbo Cab you speak of?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:33 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it certainly isn't anywhere near the same league, we have an SLK32 AMG and that little car with 350HP is a blast to drive around scenic mountain roads. We took it on a trip to Crater Lake in Oregon (beautiful place) and we had so much fun bombing around there in the car.

I can definitely see the attraction for a car like the 911 Turbo Cab.

Cheers,
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 11 Posts

Then I discovered the magical Lotus Elise and forgot about Porsche's very existence
I dont think thats happened to me since I was 10 years old. Not in any waking moment that is.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:47 AM
h20skier
Instructor

so you have both. cab for the girlfriend and hardtop for the track. problem solved
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I think there is a big point being missed. It didn't cost Porsche much to develop a 997TT cab from the coupe, and there are very few unique parts, so it doesn't cost them much more to build. But they can put a very big price tag on it. When selling luxury goods, there will always be people reaching for the top shelf based on price tag alone.

A Boxster S may be more fun to drive and cost 1/3 the price...but it will get parked in the back lot instead of on the street in front of a restaurant in Los Angeles.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dont get me wrong I wouldnt mind a 911 cab. top down 911 cruising along the coast
but turbo cab I dont get.
Do you want to know which 997 I don't get? The $128K C2 Cab with a list of exclusive options including a custom color interior. Think about that OG. For $128K you can get a GT3 and have money left over. You can also get a turbo coupe for that money. And if you put just a little on top, you can get a turbo cab. Like this one for example:

Are you kidding me?

I think the interior looks awesome, but for 128.5K!!! I don't get it??? A turbo cab goes for $8K more than this car and a turbo coupe for less.

Forget my last post at the end (I was just kidding anyway), I TOTALLY get a turbo cab and would like to have one; but it would have to be in addition to my GT3. But when someone builds a ridiculous Porsche with $25 to $40K in exclusive options, which could bring them up a level or two in the Porsche model line-up if they didn't have to get the same damn interior to match their purse or couch at home; THAT my friend, is what I don't get!

I agree with the others on here. A turbo cab is almost the perfect car if you can afford it and makes a lot of sense. I would love to have one parked next to my 3 with basically no options (it has more than enough standard), and dump about $8K into the suspension to make it right; not GT3 right, that would be a waste, but it has a LOT of room for improvement. Oh, and I would see if I can put in my old GT3 clutch with the dual mass fly wheel. That way I don't have the wimpy turbo clutch and instead only have the wimpy turbo steering and shifter! And at some point I would take it to SharkWerks to get the HP up to about 550 to 580 at the most.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

There's not a single aspect of a convertible that appeals to me. I hate the sun on my head. I hate the wind buffeting. I hate the feeling of being exposed, both to the environment and to people gawking. Sun, weather and dirt damage to the interior. Structural softness. Shimmy and shake (they all do it a bit, even the 911). Squeaks and rattles. Extra weight. Extra cost. Stowage space. And all convertibles look like bath tubs with roof down. Roof up, the lines are ruined (with the possible exception of the Gallardo).

I don't get it. But hey, that's just me.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Always been attracted to turbo cabs but never actually baught one. When decision time comes, I always end buying a coupe. One day I might get one but not anytime soon.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
jbryan
Advanced

Talking

Thye only Porsche "Cab" that ever made sense to me was the Speedster. I have never had the sunroof open on my 08 GT3 either.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my F430 coupe because the GT3 is that good. So, I picked up my 1st cab with the change. I'm a 993 guy so I love driving that car. Now with the weather I cant stop driving this cab. Its a blast! The open air, sound of the air cooled engine is so cool.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

OG - faster = more fun. If you get the cab, then drive the TT cab and you will get that too. I have not owned a cab, but after driving a TT cab I would own one in a second as my daily driver (which you can do is S. Calif.), but I would not buy a 997 Cab, just too slow.

I have a Cup car, so the RS seemed like a duplicate tool and sat in the garage most of the time. So a cab would/will be a worthy street car portion replacement. If I had no Cup then the dual purpose car (GT3 or RS) would be my car, but I don't consider it a daily driver, just a weekend car. With the Cup it is hard to justify another weekend car, but not a daily driver.

JCM

JCM
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Diff'rent strokes.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

I have no problem with a cab version of any of the non-GT3/2 911 variants. A turbo cab would look great and be a blast to tool around in. The Turbo is Porsche's top GT car and most of the other competing marques have cab versions in this category. So why not.

Quick Reply: Anybody not understand a turbo cab?