Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tough to get into first gear from a standstill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 05 996GT3. If you went to second first it worked fine. I spoke with the Porsche technical director and they agreed to change the box. The second box worked fine, go figure. In any event, it should not happen! You would not tolerate this with your 25K car and why would you tolerate for what we paid?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An update: I took the car into the dealer and was able to replicate the problem with their tech. They adjusted the shifter which seems to have made it better, but it might just be placebo effect.

They had a master tech drive the car and declared it normal. I don't think it's normal, but will give them the benefit of the doubt. At least it's logged in the system in case problems develop in the gearbox later in its life.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Did the master Tech replicate the issue? If he did and declared it normal he is giving you Porsche lip service. I hope for your sake the issue does reslove itself with the adjustment, however I am willing to bet it does not. I wonder why they changed my box with the identical issue??? Good Luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same 1st gear problem. Been looked at by P at least 4x and they keep giving it a thumbs up. But, problem remains.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apex GT
Did the master Tech replicate the issue? If he did and declared it normal he is giving you Porsche lip service.
I took the tech for a drive in the car and it happened 4 times on the drive. I had the tech grab the gear lever to feel how it gets stuck. He then took the mastertech out for a drive and was able to replicate the issue. The mastertech drove it and said it was normal.

I've had the same 1st gear problem. Been looked at by P at least 4x and they keep giving it a thumbs up. But, problem remains.
Let's hope something breaks so that it makes it easier for Porsche to diagnose. These intermittent problems must be a nightmare for them. I might try and put some fresh Porsche gear-oil in to see if it makes it better.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've changed every fluid there is to change...no help.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I've changed every fluid there is to change...no help.
You just saved me some money, but also took away some hope

When did yours start to have this problem? My gearbox was really tight for the first 1,000km (especially 2nd to 3rd), but then loosened up really nicely. It was the best gearbox I've ever had, in terms of "rifle action" feel. Unfortunately, at 7,000km, the first gear started to act up and I'm now at 7,500km.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fc-racer
You just saved me some money, but also took away some hope

When did yours start to have this problem? My gearbox was really tight for the first 1,000km (especially 2nd to 3rd), but then loosened up really nicely. It was the best gearbox I've ever had, in terms of "rifle action" feel. Unfortunately, at 7,000km, the first gear started to act up and I'm now at 7,500km.
Mine has been doing it in last 3000 miles or so. I've currently got 6k on it now. Doesn't feel like anything is majorly wrong, just aggravating at a traffic light if I don't notice it didn't go all the way into 1st. The rest of the box warms up nicely and shifts well. Just really notchy when cold. Only time will tell I guess unless one of us finds out what the problem is.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Mine does same. My 05 M3 did also. Just slightly begin to release the clutch as you slide it into gear and it is smooth as buttter. Once you get comfortable with it , it will be natural. I use this technique with all my cars now. 2nd to 1st works but takes longer.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
Mine does same. My 05 M3 did also. Just slightly begin to release the clutch as you slide it into gear and it is smooth as buttter. Once you get comfortable with it , it will be natural. I use this technique with all my cars now. 2nd to 1st works but takes longer.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot. It is the only thing about the car that bothers me, everything else is 110% perfect.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
Hi Kevin, would you be able to provide a bit more detail on what you're doing. I've tried to replicate what you've suggested and it seems to work well, but I want to ensure that I'm doing it right.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 PM
scss98
Instructor

I don't have such a problem with my RS in 1st. The shift to 3rd would sometimes get notchy. This has improved with time. I have about 8000 miles on it now and the gear box is now finally feeling right. when you go to first, is your clutch depressed all the way? does it make a difference if you have the clutch open for a full second versus immediately before shifting? I think the master mechanic says its normal because it is within their "tolerance". It does not mean a thing, I would keep escalating it with PCNA if I were you.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Clutch is fully depressed and makes no difference if I wait 1sec or 10sec. With the temps in the 30C+ range lately, the gearbox actually feels better and seems to do it less. Hopefully it stays this way! I've got a work order in so if the gearbox continues to act up, I'll keep taking it back until it's right.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM
C4S993
Pro

Hi

Took delivery late April '11 of 12k mi gt3

Drove 750 mi home

1st gear sucks

Dealer that car w cpo porsche exchange says 2 master techs of their day box is ok

Prior owner complained re same 1st gear user and got bs that adj was that was needed

Now car is at my Pa p shop

They want a new box in it and noted that Porsche knows of issue and thus changed the gear set remedy the issue

Patrick

Quick Reply: Tough to get into first gear from a standstill?