Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tough to get into first gear from a standstill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tough to get into first gear from a standstill?

Do any of you have a tough time getting the car into first gear from a standstill? I pull up at a traffic light, dis-engage the clutch and put it into neutral. When the light changes, try to put it into first and go.

Putting it into first 50% of the time feels like it's gone in only half-way. I then have to pull it out of that partial engagement of first gear and either dis-engage/re-engage the clutch, push harder on the gear lever or go to 2nd and then back up to first to make the gear go in smoothly.

I know the gearbox on this car is pretty notchy, but it had become a lot better with some mileage (currently 6,600km). I'm wondering if others have the same issue; perhaps it's normal for our cars.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:21 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea its notchy but I dont notice the 1st gear thing. I will look at it tomorrow though.
I had more of a 2nd to 3rd gear hesitation in the beginning.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta know how to put yer stick in the notch. I practice regularly ...

J/K ... Scott needs another drink ...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Mine is similar.
Going into first is a bit notchy from a standstill.
My 04 GT3 was the same way.
My 99 C2 was horrible.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's butter smooth going into 1st but a very notchy 2nd to 3rd shift.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Do any of you have a tough time getting the car into first gear from a standstill? I pull up at a traffic light, dis-engage the clutch and put it into neutral. When the light changes, try to put it into first and go.

Putting it into first 50% of the time feels like it's gone in only half-way. I then have to pull it out of that partial engagement of first gear and either dis-engage/re-engage the clutch, push harder on the gear lever or go to 2nd and then back up to first to make the gear go in smoothly.

I know the gearbox on this car is pretty notchy, but it had become a lot better with some mileage (currently 6,600km). I'm wondering if others have the same issue; perhaps it's normal for our cars.
From neutral move the lever slightly towards second gear before putting it into first.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From neutral move the lever slightly towards second gear before putting it into first.
Please elaborate more on this, I'm not sure I'm following.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you have a short shifter? As I have the exact same problem going into 1st when cold, will get better when car warm up. Dealer said it is normal.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan

From the time I started to drive, an old friend who had driven Porsche's and Vw's for years told me to ALWAYS use this routine from a standstill:

-clutch
-move gear shift to second
-then straight into first
-release clutch along with revs

He said, the synco's in 2nd are larger and easier to engage then 1st. He continued, "The gearboxes on these German cars do not like to be rushed, take your time and do it right."

Regadless if there are old wives' (old Porsche drivers') tales woven into the logic, I have always done this and it makes it so much easier to shift into first.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
chardonet
Racer

No problems in any gears, with 3,200 miles on her now. Do not have any issues in any of gears mentioned above. I guess I am lucky....
Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
From the time I started to drive, an old friend who had driven Porsche's and Vw's for years told me to ALWAYS use this routine from a standstill:

-clutch
-move gear shift to second
-then straight into first
-release clutch along with revs

He said, the synco's in 2nd are larger and easier to engage then 1st. He continued, "The gearboxes on these German cars do not like to be rushed, take your time and do it right."

Regadless if there are old wives' (old Porsche drivers') tales woven into the logic, I have always done this and it makes it so much easier to shift into first.

That's the way I was taught as well....is second nature now to move from neutral to 2nd then first...never had an issue.

Bill
Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
That's the way I was taught as well....is second nature now to move from neutral to 2nd then first...never had an issue.

Bill
You guys explained it better than I did...however, I never really fully engage second gear - just move towards second until I real resistance and then straight into first.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
jenk12m
Banned

2nd to 3rd was a bit notchy at 1st, but has smoothed out quite nicely
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM
prg
Pro

It is a little annoying that my $32k Honda has better shift feel than my $140k GT3RS.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:08 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks for all the replies. I went for a drive today and it still feels more notchy than I remember it being. Perhaps the gear oil is not optimal after three track days? Going into 2nd before 1st helps, but not always. I find this gearbox, like almost everything on this car, requires due attention when driving.

It's a price I'm willing to pay for the way it drives on the track, when suddenly the gearbox feels butter smooth and the clutch feels "right". Maybe it's time for a used Audi S4 automatic for the street :S

Quick Reply: Tough to get into first gear from a standstill?