Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is this the infamous RMS leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:49 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the infamous RMS leak?

Started to notice a drop or two (only) on newspaper which I purposely put under the engine due to all the RMS hype. When checking under, I noticed a very minimal amount of liquid (oil?) accumulated at the bottom edge of the brass thing (circled in yellow) just in front of the rear sway bar.

Also, is that a piece of the RMS ('stick' thing circled in red) hanging from the case? Looks like a few liquid (oil?) drips are still hanging onto the 'stick' and dripping off onto the brass thing and thus the accumulation?

The drips are very minimal, only a drop or two over the span of a few weeks and I just started to notice.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:01 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

From my reading the location of the oil drippings appear to be rear main seal. I don't know what the "stick" thing is. My 2007 GT3 developed the same small drip in that location at about 200 miles. I reported it to the dealer and he said watch it and go ahead and complete the break-in. I followed the break in ( as to max RPM's) to 2000 miles. The leak did not get worse but remained. It is now in the shop and they will drop the engine Monday. fortunately the Tech that is working on my car has done one other GT3 so I am not the test case. I will post when I learn something. They are going to call me when it is apart and I plan to take pictures.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 AM
sheep911
Track Day

oil in the "brass thing" is rms
Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

For reference my 2007 GT3 was a July 2007 production with August delivery
Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 AM
flash1034
Pro

I cant tell from your pics but I do know the cosmoline they spray on the case will melt and accumulate over time and may look like motor oil when it drips off the lowest point. Consider smelling the stuff or running it in your fingers to see if its cosmoline.

Flash
Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
4retr
Track Day

Hello:

My 08 RS went in for its 1st oil change at 1,500 miles and was notified that it had the RMS leak (no oil observed on the ground) - Now 500 miles later (3 months) I have oil (minor) on the ground and oil exactly in the same location as yours. I paln on putting some more miles on the car before taking it in and will keep you posted on developments.

BTW: Maybe I'll see at the May SGV get together at Outback.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Since it's so little and just a minor annoyance, I've decided to wait. Besides, I just changed the oil around 2k miles (now 2.9k) Maybe I'll wait till my next oil service.

From what i understand the fix may not be one-time and some showed recurrance, it gives me even a better reason to wait and see...

Is this consider a warranty or a service bulletin (recall) item? If it's the latter, then there should not be any deadline on fixing this.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Originally Posted by flash1034
I cant tell from your pics but I do know the cosmoline they spray on the case will melt and accumulate over time and may look like motor oil when it drips off the lowest point. Consider smelling the stuff or running it in your fingers to see if its cosmoline.

Flash
I sure hope that's the case! Another reason to wait and see...

BTW, how can I tell cosmoline vs. engine oil?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

My dealer got the engine out on mine yesterday and I'm on my way in this morning to look at the issue and take pictures. They did remove the old seal and measured to make sure the seal flange was true, it is. I was glad to hear this as several of the early 997 GT3's that had the RMS problem was because the milled flange was not true and thus a seal would not seat properly. I understand a few engines were replaced. Since my leak started at 200 miles and the dealer told me to go ahead and drive it through the break-in I was glad they didn't have to replace the engine now as I would have to go back through the RPM limited break -in. I was also told that Porsche has issued a update on the corrective procedure. It includes the use of a spacer with the seal to insure a good fit. My dealer is about 45 miles away and since today is forecast to be nice I will enjoy the ride in my '83 SC. I poked at the service manager yesterday telling him my '83 has over 130 K miles on it, has been raced and autocrossed by me and the previous two owners, its engine has never been apart and there is no oil leaks at all. I was lucky to find it and have enjoyed tweaking it.

I hope to have my GT3 back by Friday and hopefully be done with RMS issues, I plan to kep and enjoy it for a long time.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowDragon
I sure hope that's the case! Another reason to wait and see...

BTW, how can I tell cosmoline vs. engine oil?
cosmoline is very tacky when new... I think the stuff has a very high liquid temp. Engine oil looks and feels like oil... very slick and may look dirty...

sadly mine 07 gt3 has the rms leak at 1000 miles... going to wait and see how bad it gets and then yell at OPC... may go with gt3 rs light weight fly wheel and pulley set up....
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Follow-up: I went to the dealer todya and physically looked at the seal area. Indeed the flange is true as seen and checked with the factory approved measuring tool. I also saw the print-out of the new instalation procedure which includes installing what they call a spacer ( more correctly a shim or washer) before the seal is installed. The purpose as I understand it is to divert or sling the oil before it comes in contact with the seal. I am impressed with the care they are giving my car. They also said that they would change the oil and filter while they are at it which I appreciate. I'm happy that I don't need a new engine and the repeated break-in. So I get the car back on Friday, which is good as there is a car show on Saturday. Hope everyone else that has the RMS has as good a dealer as I do. I'm very happy with the dealer Porsche Center of San Antonio, their service department is very sensitive to the customer and takes great care of each persons car.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Thanks for the info! Please keep us updated.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I did get the GT3 back on Friday and have run it over 100 miles since then with outside temps as high a 87 . Each time I get it home I take a paper towel and chek under the engine for leaks. So far it is dry. Perhaps the new factory procedure is the answer. I did not want them to end up changing out the engine and then having to do another break-in process. Hope others have the same good luck.

Quick Reply: Is this the infamous RMS leak?