Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

lookng for pictures of a 996 techquipment bar in a 997 ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anything about the GT2/3 Clubsport bar.

For the Teq bar, you need to poke holes in the carpet so there will always be tell-tale signs a bar was installed. The DAS isn't destructive at all. You completely remove the carpet piece covering the strut towers and bolt it there. I called my dealer for a price on a replacement carpet panel (so I could butcher one to make it fit around the bar) but laughed when I found out how much it cost. So I grabbed some thin plywood, foam for the bottom (no rattles) and black carpet for the top and made my own piece. It isn't perfect, but you can't tell it isn't factory with a quick glance. The camera flash shows the color difference much, much more than you can see in person.

Here's a couple pics to show what I mean. First is with the carpet panel removed, next is with the bar bolted in place, and last is with my new carpet shelf installed (top view).

Cheers,
Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

bingo!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts
Default here is the problem ...

see where the sliders strike the bar mount
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

just out of curiousity; everyone dis-es the techquipment bar, but is there any actual direct experience that the bar fails either as an anchor for restriants or during a rollover situation. Clearly the fact that
it's a bolt-in at the seat belt mount points is a significant compromise vs something bolted to plates
on the floor ... but I'd really like to separate the "subjective" and the "objective" here ...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I don't know anything about the GT2/3 Clubsport bar.

For the Teq bar, you need to poke holes in the carpet so there will always be tell-tale signs a bar was installed.

Cheers,
Not so. I purchased that piece of carpet that covers the rear seat wells, from Sunset for $145.00 plus shipping. Its sitting in my attic for the just in case some day maybe.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Not so. I purchased that piece of carpet that covers the rear seat wells, from Sunset for $145.00 plus shipping. Its sitting in my attic for the just in case some day maybe.
That price isn't too bad. Good for folks to know if they want to "hide" their roll bar installation.

Cheers,
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
just out of curiousity; everyone dis-es the techquipment bar, but is there any actual direct experience that the bar fails either as an anchor for restriants or during a rollover situation. Clearly the fact that
it's a bolt-in at the seat belt mount points is a significant compromise vs something bolted to plates
on the floor ... but I'd really like to separate the "subjective" and the "objective" here ...

My wife really liked the safety aspect of a roll bar of some sort so I read every post I could about the Teq and DAS bars. I didn't see anything objective making the Teq inferior to the DAS, just opinions on how the DAS was stronger due to bigger tubing and design. I also never saw any posts on a Teq bar failing in a rollover or any other situation.

From a physics point of view, I like how the stance of the DAS is wider than the front-to-back stance of the Teq. The DAS seems like it'll be more stable and it also ties in the struts which (on paper anyhow), could be better. I don't think my driving skills are at a point where I could tell the difference.

That said, after I installed the DAS I noticed fewer squeaks from the car when I drive on bumpy roads so I think it stiffened up the car a little bit. I'm not sure if the Teq bar could do the same. Once again, it probably won't translate into anything I'll notice on the track.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: lookng for pictures of a 996 techquipment bar in a 997 ...