Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Hans! Way too much info on the nads!

Is that all you can squat?
come on over to our moldy hardcore gym...we'll see how many lbs we stack up on your back....my goal is to puke mid-squat into a pail and keep going!!!! (holding steady at 262 lb but looking to get up to 275 -280 and then shred down to 255 at < 4 % BF...how's your training going?)
Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
come on over to our moldy hardcore gym...we'll see how many lbs we stack up on your back....my goal is to puke mid-squat into a pail and keep going!!!! (holding steady at 262 lb but looking to get up to 275 -280 and then shred down to 255 at < 4 % BF...how's your training going?)
I stopped training and bought an AR15.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by malammik
I ruined my driver seat by sitting on it in wet pants after doing autocross flag duty during a nasty downpour. So watch out!
what caused you to wet your pants
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started my track driving hobby mostly driving with the BMW Club and sometimes the Audi Club (with occasional PCA events with NER PCA). This discussion is very amusing. It is true that when the skies open up the Porsches mostly stay parked. Others keep driving (well, maybe some muscle car guys park too).

There is nothing uber macho about driving in the rain. Yes, it's a bit scarier as mistakes are much more pronounced. But this is DE we are talking about. Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and demands that they go faster. Go slower, there is nothing wrong with that.

But maybe if I had an RSR I'd park it too, especially if in a race. It also depends on the track. Some tracks are better in the rain than others.

But any AWD Porsches that park it during the rain are major league wussies, that's for sure.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in the Pacific Northwet, if we did not track in the rain we would track in August and September. It does nothing bad to the inside. Rain is a great time to develop the right attitude, learn the line and balance of the car. Less room for poor technique. Get out and have fun. Buy an instant canopy.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Max Power
Racer

By my 2nd or 3rd DE, I was actually hoping for a little rain to make things interesting.
Granted I am risking less on the track than you guys, and going slower, but the rain didn't stop me.
I can easily imagine after a few more years and a hundred more track days I would think differently though.

I remember hearing a quote from Michael Schumacher - something to the effect of "In the dry, the tires speak to you. In the rain, they whisper."
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amaist
I started my track driving hobby mostly driving with the BMW Club and sometimes the Audi Club (with occasional PCA events with NER PCA). This discussion is very amusing. It is true that when the skies open up the Porsches mostly stay parked. Others keep driving (well, maybe some muscle car guys park too).

There is nothing uber macho about driving in the rain. Yes, it's a bit scarier as mistakes are much more pronounced. But this is DE we are talking about. Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and demands that they go faster. Go slower, there is nothing wrong with that.

But maybe if I had an RSR I'd park it too, especially if in a race. It also depends on the track. Some tracks are better in the rain than others.

But any AWD Porsches that park it during the rain are major league wussies, that's for sure.
Ok Andrei You made me feel a little less of a wimp, by separating the all wheel guys from the rear wheel guys. Maybe what I should do is just strip all the carpet out of the car and then not worried about it. I don't care about the seats I have the GT3 leather seats but they are easy to clean and dry, i am just not excited about driving around in something that smells like my gym bag if it gets molded out. Maybe I just need to get out on the track and take some of this free time off my hands.

I notice that some of the high speed track have cars signal the pass with a turn signal rather than an arm out the window.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Frank, if you get water in the car, it will be on the door panel and a bit on your harm but never enough to flood your carpet and make them rot.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leif997
Franz...pay me to run in the rain in someone elses car with no liability and I will be out there all day....one corner of the RSR suspension/body (all carbon kevlar) cost ~25K in parts and labor to repair and its never just one corner; trust me.....and yeah; sqats with 750 lbs. on my back def. cost me some 'nad tissue over the years....(but my sack looks huge with a loop of intestine hanging down in there)
LOL your a sick man, fellow bodybuilder here too

BTW I don't run my GT2 in the rain either, have once and it's just not worth it!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started out a "wuss" until my first EXPENSIVE track day during which it was raining buckets... Luckily, I was still running PS2 street tires and said the hell with it and went out on the track... OMG! I had more fun than ever and it definitely made me a better DE driver.

Interesting side note - the women who were usually as slow as molasses in the dry were now beating the men in the wet during the morning session.... Food for thought, eh?

In short, I adhere to several rules for running in the wet:
1) I only do it on a track where you can't hit walls. My local track (MMP in Utah) fits the bill.
2) I will only run street tires to maximize traction
3) I will only run when I can keep my windows fully or partially up (depends on DE organizer's rules)
4) I will wipe the car down COMPLETELY inside and out after the event

I have been running R-compouns since last year and love the grip. As I live in a desert climate, I do not see much summer rain so have been debating whether to buy light-weight track wheels (CCW, Fikse, etc.) for the R-compounds, and the put street tires on the factory wheels for street driving & rain tracking... I'll give it another year...

My $0.02,
-Blake
Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

I'm looking forward to a rainy track day so that I can take my RS4 out in the wet on PS2s...our track here (MSR Cresson) is all grass unless you go off in two particular sections that I'm pretty careful in anyway...but sooner or later I'm gonna track in the wet and have a great time.

The miata cup car I'm looking at comes with rain tires, so I might as well use them up- and that doesn't even have a roof.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

If I "do it in the wet" I will be running the Corsa system, It is R compound, I have been told they are a decent wet tire, but Idono.

Quick Reply: Big Wuss