Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How Often Are Track Alignments Needed ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How Often Are Track Alignments Needed ??

Just wondering after how many track days is a track alignment needed to be done? That is assuming hard driving and no "offs" .

Does the same apply to corner balancing as well?

Does the changing of new tires and wheels impact the track alignment? What if the wheel sizes are the same but the tires are one up-size larger on the front and rear?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three times a year at least.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The GT3 is notorious for going out of alignment if you hit even little bumps, especially rear toe. Upsizing tires using the "plus one" method will not require re-alignment nor corner balance. The use of better rear toe links is a good idea since they will keep the correct settings far better than the OEM ones. I do mine twice a year and more often if the car's handling changes.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

having OCD, my alignment is chk'd every 4 weeks.

though with OEM toe links, i have NEVER had my rear toe go off despite hitting and driving over all the apex berms, i decided to go with the better toe links. there is no reason to take unnecessary chances.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM
yss
Advanced

before every track event
toe often neeeds correcting
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had new toe links installed. If you get new toe links you can have it done a few times a year unless you are a serious track junkie. My alignment was off after one three day weekend at VIR before I got the new links
Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

+1 for upgrading Toe links
Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Thomas Crown
Advanced

Who carries this links? I assume you guys are talking about rubber to soild... TIA
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My toe links and solid goodies are going in next week, should be a nice difference taking those sweepers at 140 and having no little hint of "wallow" lol..

Im fully redoing my suspension setup and it's been about a month, but ye I guess I would check it as Mooty says every 4-6 weeks depending on how much track duty your doing or street driving with rough roads!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Crown
Who carries this links? I assume you guys are talking about rubber to soild... TIA
Almost all of the site sponsors have the toe links. It is not a matter of rubber versus metal. The OEM toe adjuster is an eccentric cam which rotates against aluminum. It can be jarred out of position easily. I like the ones from The Racers Group. they are like turnbuckles and once adjusted are locked into position very securely. Toe is adjusted by changing the length of the toe link. There are others, check in with one of the suppliers who sponsor this site who is loacl to you.

best,
Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Almost all of the site sponsors have the toe links. It is not a matter of rubber versus metal. The OEM toe adjuster is an eccentric cam which rotates against aluminum. It can be jarred out of position easily. I like the ones from The Racers Group. they are like turnbuckles and once adjusted are locked into position very securely. Toe is adjusted by changing the length of the toe link. There are others, check in with one of the suppliers who sponsor this site who is loacl to you.

best,
Tarret is highly recommended even over the porsche motorsports parts and others on the market, that's what i went with from talking to tons of people in the porsche racing industry!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Marking current adjustment

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

best,
Does it help to take a marker and mark across the current setting to see if it moves? would you be able to see the difference if it moves out of alignment???
Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your whole suspension should be visually inspected and nut & bolted and aligned as well as a spin balance of wheels that may have thrown a weight and bearings checked before each track event at a minimum....if your race shop is not recommending or doing this for you; change shops...
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
your whole suspension should be visually inspected and nut & bolted and aligned as well as a spin balance of wheels that may have thrown a weight and bearings checked before each track event at a minimum....if your race shop is not recommending or doing this for you; change shops...
+1. And replace those OEM toe links with the Racers Group as Bob suggested. ASAP.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobbyC
+1. And replace those OEM toe links with the Racers Group as Bob suggested. ASAP.
Agreed with leif, that's what I do as well. BTW do people usually go with F/R toe links or just the rear?

Quick Reply: How Often Are Track Alignments Needed ??