Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How Often Are Track Alignments Needed ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by yss
before every track event
toe often neeeds correcting
damn, that may be every week for me then.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 AM
yss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Toe and track time

Originally Posted by mooty
damn, that may be every week for me then.

my camber seems to hold up but my toe really steps out.

there was one track day where my car was aligned before hand - 15 minutes of toe out on the front beforehand - i got back and checked it and there was 50 minutes of toe out on the front. granted i had mounted a kerb or 2 while trying to break my personal best but still..... interesting that the car was the most stable i have every felt anything in a straight line but exiting a turn hard felt like axle tramp understeer (remember getting wheelspin on a rear wheel drive car with a live axle rear end (bunny hop) when you where a teenager ..... but on the front end of the car!)

the example above is extreme but the rear toe has needed adjusting EVERY time. for $40, its worth it.

i wish i could get out once every 3 weeks let alone everyweek.
in Oz, you get access by booking the whole track for the day = $$$$$$. open to the public on very few days of the year for general admission.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yss
my camber seems to hold up but my toe really steps out.

there was one track day where my car was aligned before hand - 15 minutes of toe out on the front beforehand - i got back and checked it and there was 50 minutes of toe out on the front. granted i had mounted a kerb or 2 while trying to break my personal best but still..... interesting that the car was the most stable i have every felt anything in a straight line but exiting a turn hard felt like axle tramp understeer (remember getting wheelspin on a rear wheel drive car with a live axle rear end (bunny hop) when you where a teenager ..... but on the front end of the car!)

the example above is extreme but the rear toe has needed adjusting EVERY time. for $40, its worth it.

i wish i could get out once every 3 weeks let alone everyweek.
in Oz, you get access by booking the whole track for the day = $$$$$$. open to the public on very few days of the year for general admission.
$40 is cheap.
i presume your rear toe, not front, goes out?
if so you really need toe links.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
yss
Advanced

$40 is cheap.
i presume your rear toe, not front, goes out?
if so you really need toe links.

yes rear toe not front toe.

ill get the toe links - any specific contact ?
what do they cost?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

rear toe links and locking plates:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-products/list.htm
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
So are we just talking about rear toe links it this all I need?
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When ever you put new tires on and the car still feels bad then it is time to check your alignment. A cornerbalance cannot change unless you add new parts to the car or crash a few parts off the car.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by George3
Just wondering after how many track days is a track alignment needed to be done? That is assuming hard driving and no "offs" .

Does the same apply to corner balancing as well?

Does the changing of new tires and wheels impact the track alignment? What if the wheel sizes are the same but the tires are one up-size larger on the front and rear?

Thanks

hi george hope all is well, nice alot of info here about this. i'm going to have to check into solid links.but my car feels great at, vir with my 19's mpsc's than switched to the ccw's with r888's.

is your car having any handleing problems?
my next events i'm already signed up for as follows;

may 5-6 summit point with nnjr
may 12-13 wgi with chin
june 6-8 mid ohio with nnjr
june 27-29 wgi with potomac zone 2

let me know what events you'll be going to.great runing with you at our last two events.
oh yea i'm glad i found you over here.
talk soon thanks stuart
Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Stuart,

It was nice running with you, too!! I just got back from Summit Point this past weekend with Potomac. Weather was great and the car is handling great! A pro-driver came over to me (can't say who) and looked my car over... he suggested I go another notch stiffer on my front sway bar. Wow, what a difference it made. Much crisper turn-ins.

My Fikse wheels and R888's (255/315) should be in shortly. I can't wait, because I just can't get my CCW's clean from the brake dust. (Not really a great powder coating job, IMO.)

I probably won't make any of your events listed (due to other track events) until Potomac at WGI. I'll be at Pocono this Friday with BMWCCA-NY chapter. A quick 1-day event -- see if you can make it.

G

Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Stuart,
I just can't get my CCW's clean from the brake dust. (Not really a great powder coating job, IMO.)

G

you must have C10 then?
iknow what you mean. the wheels are actually clean, i can rub my fingers over it and no dust, but it still looks dirty/dusty.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

you must have C10 then?
iknow what you mean. the wheels are actually clean, i can rub my fingers over it and no dust, but it still looks dirty/dusty.
Right !!! I have the C10's.

I spoke with John @ CCW and he said I have to rub off the dirt with rubbing compound.

Last edited by George3; 04-14-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s997gt3
hi george hope all is well, nice alot of info here about this. i'm going to have to check into solid links.but my car feels great at, vir with my 19's mpsc's than switched to the ccw's with r888's.

is your car having any handleing problems?
my next events i'm already signed up for as follows;

may 5-6 summit point with nnjr
may 12-13 wgi with chin
june 6-8 mid ohio with nnjr
june 27-29 wgi with potomac zone 2

let me know what events you'll be going to.great runing with you at our last two events.
oh yea i'm glad i found you over here.
talk soon thanks stuart
STU man, you forgot to give me the list today haha, was good seeing you and i'll see you soon. When you can pm me a list or i'll call you and write it down!

Hi Stuart,

It was nice running with you, too!! I just got back from Summit Point this past weekend with Potomac. Weather was great and the car is handling great! A pro-driver came over to me (can't say who) and looked my car over... he suggested I go another notch stiffer on my front sway bar. Wow, what a difference it made. Much crisper turn-ins.

My Fikse wheels and R888's (255/315) should be in shortly. I can't wait, because I just can't get my CCW's clean from the brake dust. (Not really a great powder coating job, IMO.)

I probably won't make any of your events listed (due to other track events) until Potomac at WGI. I'll be at Pocono this Friday with BMWCCA-NY chapter. A quick 1-day event -- see if you can make it.

G

George buddy i'll see you out at Pocono on the 18th, my buddy Demitri who runs metro pca events and works for Habberstad BMW got me into it I'm pissed I missed Summit this weekend :|

I spoke with John @ CCW and he said I have to rub off the dirt with rubbing compound. WHAT?????

Well, I'll tell you... I rubbed my ***-off and they are still dirty and look like crap. I can't really say I'm happy with the CCW C10's. The powder coating job is for s**t, and that's not just my opinion. Not the answer I was looking for from a wheel manufacturer.

I guess you get what you pay for. I will not buy CCW again.

Interesting to hear :/
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

George buddy i'll see you out at Pocono on the 18th, my buddy Demitri who runs metro pca events and works for Habberstad BMW got me into it I'm pissed I missed Summit this weekend :|

Nice... I'll see you Friday !
Old 04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I spoke with John @ CCW and he said I have to rub off the dirt with rubbing compound. WHAT?????

Well, I'll tell you... I rubbed my ***-off and they are still dirty and look like crap. I can't really say I'm happy with the CCW C10's. The powder coating job is for s**t, and that's not just my opinion. Not the answer I was looking for from a wheel manufacturer.

I guess you get what you pay for. I will not buy CCW again.

i got 3 sets of CCW's, all have different finishes.
the C14 annodized is easy to clean.
the C10 powder coated is hard to clean, mind you that all my brake dust are off the wheels, use full strength SIMPLE GREEN, and sponge it off. i swear there are no dust, but it looks dirty. i know there's no dust b/c i rub my fingers over them very hard to test for dust.
c10 now has new brightpoint annodized finish, that's one step up. v ery nice, easier to clean but still not the easiest finish to clean b/c they are texture.

that said, CCW is for track use. and many ppl (unlike us) NEVER clean them

fikse and HRC comp series will be what you are looking for. light strong and easy to clean. but they do cost a bit more.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I have new C10s, powder coated silver THEN lightly, perfectly, sprayed with Argent Silver paint by John. Look 99% as well finished as OEM wheels. No exaggeration. I waxed them, and will run the wee out of them as track wheels starting in May. I'd be surprised if the don't wash up clean. The finish to the touch is the same as my GT3. I paid a bit more but CCW did a great job.

Curious Question: Anyone roll their fenders by tapping then "in" with a piece of hard wood and a hammer, or what?

Quick Reply: How Often Are Track Alignments Needed ??