Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has anyone installed the fabspeed High Performance Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 AM
997CarreraS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed the fabspeed High Performance Air Intake System

Have any of you installed the Fabspeed High Perfromance intake system? Are you happy with it? Did it increase horsepower as claimed?

http://www.fabspeed.com/997GT3_5.html
  • GT3 cars gain +14 HP and see DYNO RESULT for all data.Fits all GT3 cars worldwide USA and European models.
  • Allows unobstructed airflow to the engine for a MAXIMUM POWER!
  • More airflow than any other system available anywhere in the world.
  • COLD AIR is force feed to the engine's airfilter by the stock FAN and snorkel. See the photo above as the FAN blows cold air directly onto the airfilter and the intake snorkel dumps cold air directly to the filter.
  • Easy to install and saves weight. CNC air craft machined with T304SS drip edge.
  • Retains stock MASS AIRFLOW sensor plastic grate and location for maximum power and no Check Engine Light.
  • More sports car sound and CUP car sound!
  • Reuse either stock OEM paper airfilter or use a K&N and or BMC F1 airfilter.
  • Easy to install and complies with emissions and factory Porsche warranty. Saves weight and looks cool and is the best and most productive upgrade for the GT3.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 AM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

You will probably get some good replies to this one! It has been a while since we discussed it here. There are many of us who just do not get how this works. It says it forces cold air into the intake yet the design of the product means that the open air filter is exposed in the hot engine compartment and there does not appear to be a way to force the cold air into the filter from the fan.

LJ
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

besides the fact that it is totally unshielded, the stock engine fan probably doesn't even flow 100cfm. This might be better:

Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
besides the fact that it is totally unshielded, the stock engine fan probably doesn't even flow 100cfm. This might be better:

Love their cold air intake for the 996 GT3.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

I'd rather mess with the exhaust system than the intake system if I had to pick one...
Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 AM
997CarreraS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Fabspeed mufflers that in theory reduces back preasure. Not ready to do headers yet. Not sure about doing this intake. It does not make sense to me .
Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not do it. I have yet to hear anything positive other than from your know who. Messing with an intake has a much higher risk of damaging your motor and voiding your warranty than the exhaust. And the gains are usually either BS, or run during optimal conditions, or are cancelled out by the ECU.

I personally am keeping my distance from this one. Put that money towards the LWFW kit from Sharwerks; now you are talking about a benefit in more ways than one; but make sure it is done right. The Sharkwerks center muffler delete is also a good one; again with multiple benifits.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I dont see how this setup results in cooler engine air ... OR a higher airflow into the intake since there is neither any separation from cold(er) external air and warmer engine air or any ducted path from outside to inside due to the absence of the airbox that mates with the decklid ... if any benefit is to be gained from the BMC, replacing the stock filter in the existing airbox would likely be a bettter solution ...

having said that ...

look at some of the intakes on the 996 and 997 race cars ...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

larry, the benefit of a race car is you've got little gnomes who rebuild them ever so often...that probably allows for more people to run open intakes since there is no "long term affect" to the engine- it's rebuilt every few dozen hours or so.

I like the intakes on the newer cup cars...it's like a funnel slamming the air into the engine
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

yeah the intake on the new Cup S is cool ... doesn't look like something that could retrofit onto a street car without some work on the decklid!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

agree with the above and would like to add that everytime I fell for this in the past, I F 'ed up more than one MAF unit (mass air flow)....PIA that then causes CEL to be lit up permanently.....I would just duplicate or order the cup car intake and be done with it...
Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I put a cup car cone on my mkI clubsport a few years back ... made not a whit of difference with the exception of a little more intake noise and an occasional "turbo"-ilke whistle which was not unpleasant!

seriously any intake mod I would make would have to isolate the intake air from the engine compartment ala this:

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...iletype=normal
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If anyone thinks Porsche left 14 HP on the table with a suboptimal air intake system, then you deserve to buy the Fabspeed intake.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
If anyone thinks Porsche left 14 HP on the table with a suboptimal air intake system, then you deserve to buy the Fabspeed intake.
that pretty much sums it up....well said...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to hear from the manufacturer of the product with an explanation of how it makes the power and proof that it does. I also want to know where all these parts are manufactured.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed the fabspeed High Performance Air Intake System