Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 04:41 AM
340Elise
Banned

Default RS Differences

I noticed on Park Places internet ads for any RS's that they are selling, they post these items of differences between the regular GT3 and the RS:

Here is what you get over and above in a RS.
-Rear fenders similar to the Carrera 4, 44mm wider than the GT3
-Adjustable carbon fiber rear wing
-Carbon fiber front lid
-Race-regulated rear wheel carriers and split rear wishbones
-Single-mass flywheel to allow revs to build faster
-Solid roof (no sunroof)
-Weight reduction of 44 pounds over the GT3

This all looks correct to me, but I am not sure about the carbon fiber front lid, I thought it is aluminum just like the regular GT3???

The other question I have is about the suspension. I know that there is a difference between the 3 and the RS, but I thought it was as simple as the spring rates being a bit stiffer in the RS. Is the above comment about the race regulated rear wheel carriers and split rear wishbones correct?

I want to know since I am considering buying an RS and I need to know every last detail of what it has to offer over the regular GT3.

Stephen
Old 03-27-2008 | 07:09 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

CF front lid is on the 996 RS, not 997. Lid and doors are aluminum on 997 GT3 and RS.

Wheel carriers are indeed different. Someone with more knowledge than me can explain why?

Split rear wishbones on the RS allow for more camber adjustment than on the GT3.

Also, RS rear wheels have different offset than GT3 making a wider rear track. And something about the geometry gives the RS a 5mm longer wheelbase.
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:19 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

There are also engine component differences. I believe the RS has lighter titanium connecting rods, among other changes. The engines are specially flagged as "RS" on the production line in Zuffenhausen.
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:27 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
There are also engine component differences. I believe the RS has lighter titanium connecting rods, among other changes. The engines are specially flagged as "RS" on the production line in Zuffenhausen.
Thats something new to me, specially flagged as RS engines. Sound awesome and I wouldnt be surprise if Porsche are putting the higher output engines for the RS.
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:09 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
I believe the RS has lighter titanium connecting rods
Are you sure? I have no knowledge either way, but I somehow doubt it. That would be a major difference. Can't imagine why Porsche would keep something like that secret. Or why they wouldn't just use the lighter ones in the GT3 as well. RS has same redline as GT3, right?
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:38 AM
Unitah
Instructor

The engines are identical between the 997 GT3 and 997 GT3RS as far as I believe.
Old 03-27-2008 | 12:25 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

The motors are not flagged for RS cars. Every motor is engine dyno'd and tagged for output. Output is 103-105% of rated output or the engine is torn down. I got to see it with my own eyes.
Old 03-27-2008 | 12:32 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

I thought all 7gt3 engines have titanium connecting rods.
Old 03-27-2008 | 12:37 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by GeoT3
I thought all 7gt3 engines have titanium connecting rods.
They do. I can't imagine Porsche putting lighter ones in the RS but not in the GT3.

It's possible those engines going in RS's are flagged to be fitted with LWFW.
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I didn't think any US 997 coupes had sunroof delete - I thought this was just a ROW option.
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I noticed on Park Places internet ads for any RS's that they are selling, they post these items of differences between the regular GT3 and the RS:

-Carbon fiber front lid
-Solid roof (no sunroof)

This all looks correct to me, but I am not sure about the carbon fiber front lid, I thought it is aluminum just like the regular GT3???

The other question I have is about the suspension. I know that there is a difference between the 3 and the RS, but I thought it was as simple as the spring rates being a bit stiffer in the RS. Is the above comment about the race regulated rear wheel carriers and split rear wishbones correct?

I want to know since I am considering buying an RS and I need to know every last detail of what it has to offer over the regular GT3.

Stephen
PM me your email address - I have the GT3 brochure in pdf format that covers both GT3 and GT3RS - the file is 3.6 meg
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:10 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I didn't think any US 997 coupes had sunroof delete - I thought this was just a ROW option.
The only 997 without a sunroof is the GT3 RS.
Old 03-27-2008 | 05:28 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by eclou
The motors are not flagged for RS cars. Every motor is engine dyno'd and tagged for output. Output is 103-105% of rated output or the engine is torn down. I got to see it with my own eyes.
Yup, this is exactly what I heard.

The motors are the same guys. Only difference I can think of is the pulley on the crank which is related to the LWFW.
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise

-Carbon fiber front lid
-Solid roof (no sunroof)

Stephen
- The rear wheels carriers are the same between the GT3 Open Top and the RS.

- The front wheel carriers are different depending if the car has PCCB or not.

- In the U.S. model the weight reduction is close to 60 lbs.

- The hood is the same for both cars.
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:57 PM
am722
Drifting

Front "lid" or "lip"? This video suggests that there is a lighter front lip on the RS. It also says there is a lighter engine, but the narrator may simply be referring to the LWFW. Check out around the 2:45 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdDt...eature=related

Quick Reply: RS Differences