Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Those with LWFW Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those with LWFW Please Read

I have my car at the dealer right now and they will be installing the LWFW and RS clutch ino my car. But I have some time as they are doing some research on the pully problem before they begin.

I need to make sure that I want to do this mod. I would like to talk with a couple of you who have gone from a regular GT3 to an RS, or from a GT3 and you had the LWFW installed. It is important to me that you experienced both clutches/flywheels and only on the 997 GT3.

If you fall into one of these catagories, could you please PM me this morning and I will PM you my phone number. Or if you don't mind PMing you number to me, then I will call you.

I would like to have at least 3 of you respond if you have the time. Let me know if you can do it and mention that I have a PM from you.

I'm dead tired now, going to bed.

Thank you to anyone who can and will talk to me

Stephen
Soon to join the LWFW Club, I think!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please dont PM. Post here so all of us can read your experiences too. we all want to know.

Thanks,

Flash
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by richardmacpherson
Please phone my technician at 9024538800, his name is Brad Sellars for complete info.

Regards,

Rick
i would call him, but since elise is the one doing the work, i'll let him directly talk to the tech. let's not all call brad with 100 questions ;-)

and pls post everything you found out. i am sure LOTs of owners would like to know.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
340Elise
Banned

Guys,

I'm definetely going to post all the info. I am only using PM for the phone number portion. I don't want to post mine for the world to see and I'm sure none of you want to either.

I will call the number above.

Is there anyone else? They are starting with an oil change, then checking the pulley. I just dropped it off.

Please PM me if you can give me a description as to the differences between the two. I need to talk with you and have specific questions.

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 03-20-2008, 01:09 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by richardmacpherson
Please phone my technician at 9024538800, his name is Brad Sellars for complete info.

Regards,

Rick
Rick,

Thanks for the number, I will call him right now. Btw, you might want to remove that phone number; unless you don't mind it being public like that.

Thanks again!

Stephen
Old 03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the flywheel and clutch done last week. Ordered all parts from suncoast and had pacific install. The car is completely different. I had a chance to play with it at an autocross and it is easy to heel/toe. It revs like a motorcycle.
Also very easy to start from a stop now. none of that dead band sloppiness when starting. very direct.

I asked the SA and master tech on the pulley. I had the RS part with me. They checked the torque of the original unit and said it was in spec. They offered to switch the part but wanted to charge $500 in labor for the swap. So instead, we arranged for me to drive it for a month and have the car come in again to check the condition of the pulley. They don't believe its necessary to swap the pulley.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by carrering
I had the flywheel and clutch done last week. Ordered all parts from suncoast and had pacific install. The car is completely different. I had a chance to play with it at an autocross and it is easy to heel/toe. It revs like a motorcycle.
Also very easy to start from a stop now. none of that dead band sloppiness when starting. very direct.

I asked the SA and master tech on the pulley. I had the RS part with me. They checked the torque of the original unit and said it was in spec. They offered to switch the part but wanted to charge $500 in labor for the swap. So instead, we arranged for me to drive it for a month and have the car come in again to check the condition of the pulley. They don't believe its necessary to swap the pulley.
So yours is the one with all the holes in it; about 5 or 6? Based on the pulley thread, the regular GT3 pulley is the one with all the holes in it. I thought that was a mistake and that it was the RS version since it would be lighter with the extra mass removed. I like that advice on the pulley.

Let me know what yours looks like.

Stephen

Stephen
Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

stephen, I went from the regular (good enough) GT3 to the RS.

lwfw is noticeably different. If it's in your financial ability, I see no reason to hold off.

I love the LWFW, and was going to do it to my GT3 if the RS didn't come to be.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Droped GT3 of yesterday to have RMS leak fixed and LWFW installed. Big savings on labor. They said they would inspect the pully. Is there a certain version of the pully that is the one that fails??
Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey 340elise, hope James gave you what you needed (sounded like it?) and you're right the pulley with all the holes in it is the non RS one. Good luck and I know you'll like it
Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 PM
340Elise
Banned

Alex,

My tech was wondering why you recommended the 993 bolts for the pulley instead of the 996 bolts as shown in his manual?

He ordered the 993 because we trust you, but still would like to know.

I will give you all feedback on this mod tomorrow; since it is supposed to be done by then.

Stephen
Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey stephen... I know you can't really get access to PET but if you look in there and under the RS section those are the _exact_ three part numbers It may have been a 996 on the 996GT3 for that pulley but for the 997GT3RS that's the correct length bolt and what is specified in PET
Old 03-21-2008, 01:13 AM
daytonaviolet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey's guys.. you can access PET files here but i dont see any for RS

997 PET
997 GT3 PET
997 TT PET

thanks to http://www.karrera.n
Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
340Elise
Banned

Update on my LWFW install. My tech was not able to work on the car last Thursday since the Audi rep was there and he had to sit in on the meetings. Also, he is taking his time on this one and making sure it is done right.

I ordered all of the parts including the RS pulley and the correct length bolt and washer for the pulley. My tech said that the pulley is easy, and it certainly will not be $500.00! But I have the Sharkwerks center muffler delete, so I think that makes it easier.

Whie he was removing my old clutch, he did say that he broke one part that was in there really tight. I can't remember what it was, but I believe he said it was a plastic piece??? he ordered a new one which will be in tomorrow.

Right now the car will be ready tomorrow or on Wednesay; so I am thinking Thursday or Friday!

I will give more details as we progress with this project, and I will also find out about the damaged part that is being replaced.

I must say, I am very curious to see how this clutch is going to feel when it is done.

Stephen
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise

I must say, I am very curious to see how this clutch is going to feel when it is done.

Stephen
You are going to love it! There will be a slight learning curve as the RPM's will now drop off just as quickly as they rev up. I had it down after my first trip over Skaggs!! (about 50 twisty miles)

Quick Reply: Those with LWFW Please Read