Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Stephen
PM sent
Old 03-25-2008, 10:56 AM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picking mine up today. RMS leak fix and LWFW upgrade. Cant wait!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates for this thread?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

I had an RS LWFW and RS Clutch installed in to my 997 GT3. I have done 4 track days on the car with it installed.

I can say the car revs blip up incredibly fast. Heel and toe operation is a snap. Other than a slight chatter sound at idle, I am very pleased with the results.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Well, 1 week after the lwfw went in I was on track at Pocono and the pulley went.
Lost power steering, coolant ect. Could have been a BIG problem if it happened at the wrong time. But all was ok.
Long story short, Princeton Porsche came up and got the car and put in a new pulley, bolts and washer. The RS parts would have taken a while according to them. They are still on order. They torked the sh*t out of it and used plenty of
loc-tight. They truely dont believe it will happen again with the way they put it in.
Other wise The lwfw is a great mod
Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
I had an RS LWFW and RS Clutch installed in to my 997 GT3. I have done 4 track days on the car with it installed.

I can say the car revs blip up incredibly fast. Heel and toe operation is a snap. Other than a slight chatter sound at idle, I am very pleased with the results.

Exact same here; mine is perfect! It was well worth it and my mechanic at the dealer did an outstanding job. We even got the blessing from our Porsche rep since he was at the dealer while this was being done to my car. We used all OEM parts and changed out the pulley and bolt and washer, and installed and torqued every thing per RS specs. This mod has only made the driveablility of my car better, and as stated, makes heel and toe a snap. Even me with my limited experience and talent can do some nice H&T'ing now!

I will let you know if anything happens with the crank pulley, and I will have it checked by the dealer to see if it has loosen up at all.

What a great mod to go along with my Sharkwerks center exhaust delete. Alex is the man! (I bought my LWFW kit from him and got the pulley & bolt part numbers from him also).
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by rickg87
Well, 1 week after the lwfw went in I was on track at Pocono and the pulley went.
Lost power steering, coolant ect. Could have been a BIG problem if it happened at the wrong time. But all was ok.
Long story short, Princeton Porsche came up and got the car and put in a new pulley, bolts and washer. The RS parts would have taken a while according to them. They are still on order. They torked the sh*t out of it and used plenty of
loc-tight. They truely dont believe it will happen again with the way they put it in.
Other wise The lwfw is a great mod
This bothers me because it makes the LWFW install look like a questionable mod, but you did state that they did not do the RS pulley. What if they had, and they torqued and used loctite as per factory RS spec (not sure if the loctite is done by the factory)?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Exact same here; mine is perfect! It was well worth it and my mechanic at the dealer did an outstanding job. We even got the blessing from our Porsche rep since he was at the dealer while this was being done to my car. We used all OEM parts and changed out the pulley and bolt and washer, and installed and torqued every thing per RS specs. This mod has only made the driveablility of my car better, and as stated, makes heel and toe a snap. Even me with my limited experience and talent can do some nice H&T'ing now!

I will let you know if anything happens with the crank pulley, and I will have it checked by the dealer to see if it has loosen up at all.

What a great mod to go along with my Sharkwerks center exhaust delete. Alex is the man! (I bought my LWFW kit from him and got the pulley & bolt part numbers from him also).
Always a pleasure and I can't agree more.. the LWF really does make the engine rev "properly" in my mind I always have LWF's in any NA P-car....
Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 AM
kailuadog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this upgrade effect the drivablity in traffic?
Also how much weight did it take off do you think?

Aloha,
Todd
Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 AM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise
This bothers me because it makes the LWFW install look like a questionable mod, but you did state that they did not do the RS pulley. What if they had, and they torqued and used loctite as per factory RS spec (not sure if the loctite is done by the factory)?
To clarify, When the lwfw was installed, the pulley was not adjusted at all.
After the pulley went they reinstalled a new one as securely as possible.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I am being told that all I need is the LWFW - that the clutch is the same - can I get a confirmation on this?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
I am being told that all I need is the LWFW - that the clutch is the same - can I get a confirmation on this?
Unless it's some aftermarket one... the parts are indeed different. You _need_ a different ring gear, bearing, sleeve and so forth...
Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Alex.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by kailuadog
Does this upgrade effect the drivablity in traffic?
Also how much weight did it take off do you think?

Aloha,
Todd
I was also worried about the driveability, but found that it is just as easy as before; and in many ways easier. The only possible negative is that there is a little bit of sound coming from the clutch when you are stoped and the clutch is fully released (so you are in neutral since the motor is running). This sound is not bad at all, and to me I like it. It reminds me that this car is something special, not your average daily driver for sure!

It just shifts so smoothly, and the engine revs go up and down much faster and freely; you can just tell that this is how the car was engineered. It makes me think that they did all the testing and engineering based on this flywheel, and that they decided to put the dual mass into the regular GT3 just so they could differentiate the cars some more. I suppose the sound that the LWFW generates is also why the regular GT3 does not have it. To some who do not understand, this could come across as a poorly built car and that something is wrong with the tranny. You really need to understand the benefit and why it is making that sound.

It really is easy to drive this car smooth (from a shifting point of view), and the LWFW does not make it any more difficult. Great mod from all aspects.

The weight of the LWFW is about half of the dual mass one; aprox. 14 lbs instead of 28 lbs.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

+1
Ditto on all of the above from 340Elise

Quick Reply: Those with LWFW Please Read