Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

front lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've got the cup lip without ducts. looks amazing. track friday will tell me if it is amazing
C.J. I'm thinking that the combo of the deeper front lip and cranking in some downforce with the RS wing will result in a tangible and significant handling benefit.

Let us know your impressions after you track on Friday!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,257 Likes on 610 Posts

Larry I get all my stuff through GMG, RUF installs it for me here in dallas. James and Fabryce @ GMG are pretty cool guys, when we were out there playing the angelenos of OC I got to visit their shop. I think their parts guy is Ryne or Ryan. I'd just ask for 997 Cup Car Brake Ducts. There's really only one type of them, and they're a bit lower and bigger than the stock ones. My mechs Zip-Tied them so none of those pesky lawn gnomes try to steal them.

about the chin spoiler...I drove the RS on the freeway today but couldn't really tell on the onramp whether it brought noticeable downforce to the front- lots of traffic!

about the chin spoiler- it's lighter and seems a bit more flexible than the the stock pieces, so scraping might not be as blunt of a trauma. I went with the non-vented one because I figured it will give me that much more downforce and since I always do cool down laps, I'm not too worried about the brakes overheating or anything anyway. Plus it looks meaner!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
HKE46Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first cup spoiler was w/o duct, the one w/duct in the pic is my 2nd spoiler. I'm ordering my 3rd one from GMG next week.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:17 AM
TripleM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FVD Cup one works great at high speed, v stable as the sides are extended out unlike the regular one which is flat to the side bumper...
HOwever, do NOTE that this lip is about an inch lower so when u get one, u should already order the nxt one just like I did.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

slight bump as I think Law wanted my track report of the cup lip

there is definitely a little bit more stability at high speeds, and turning in is a bit crisper than I remember it with the standard lip. I'm still not at the absolute handling limit of the car since I'm still running stock tires/wheels- but the balance of increased frontal drag from the lip and rear wing angle is much better than stock for sure.

for basically 200 bucks- it's a great track mod. The lip is thankfully more flexible than the stock one so even though I scrape it more often (in the middle) it rolls, folds and comes back to normal instantly. this is important because for those of you like me who still street drive the car, it's not gonna tear itself apart around town.

I recommend the cup spoiler- ducts or no ducts is your choice.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

CJ,

Any pics of the cup spoiler on the RS, just tore up my stock one today.

slight bump as I think Law wanted my track report of the cup lip

there is definitely a little bit more stability at high speeds, and turning in is a bit crisper than I remember it with the standard lip. I'm still not at the absolute handling limit of the car since I'm still running stock tires/wheels- but the balance of increased frontal drag from the lip and rear wing angle is much better than stock for sure.

for basically 200 bucks- it's a great track mod. The lip is thankfully more flexible than the stock one so even though I scrape it more often (in the middle) it rolls, folds and comes back to normal instantly. this is important because for those of you like me who still street drive the car, it's not gonna tear itself apart around town.

I recommend the cup spoiler- ducts or no ducts is your choice.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

give me a few mins...load it up on photobucket
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for that, looks good

Just had my paint protection done finally last week did all painted panels, installed the protective screens in front, took it out this weekend,did the "break in" procedure for the brakes now trying to rack up 2k miles so I can run it over 4k rpm.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

you can run it over 4k rpm- the engine is meant to mix and match revs! it's just not meant to be lugged at 1200rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear. I progressively increased the revs in 300-500 mile intervals and was at 6000 rpms before too long. Don't waste sunny days puttering when you can roar.

how did you enjoy bedding in the brakes?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

. . . I'm still not at the absolute handling limit of the car since I'm still running stock tires/wheels- but the balance of increased frontal drag from the lip and rear wing angle is much better than stock for sure . . .
You won't believe the difference when you finally do get some better tires and wheels for the track! What are you waiting for?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm waiting for my miata cup car purchase and some "over the limit droving" in that first.

I still need to work on my consistency- still getting used to the Hans device and had a 2 month layoff from my car, so the footwork and track vision still could use a bit of work on my end.

no reason to waste money on additional tires when I've already got some spares laying around. Can't let that good french rubber go to waste!

checklist-
get trackside garage (splitting 2 car with DRG13)
get in-car camera equip
get the new track pads and bed them in (got a lot of life out of the first set- somewhere between 45-55 track sessions out of the stock pads ~4200 miles overall)
LOOK UP!
smoother with the feets
take delivery of GMG exhaust system/tuning
buy and take delivery of miata cup car
sell my condo, move closer to track(s)
buy my dad a 944 as a surprise (life's short, why wait for birthdays?)
then-

get some track wheels and tires

not that I've got it all planned out or anything...
Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CJ,
I've got the camera mount for you, I meant to give it to you saturday, it's in my garage @ MSR...

Nice picture of your RS, but I really like that yellow car next to it...lol...
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

I'm waiting for my miata cup car purchase and some "over the limit droving" in that first.

I still need to work on my consistency- still getting used to the Hans device and had a 2 month layoff from my car, so the footwork and track vision still could use a bit of work on my end.

no reason to waste money on additional tires when I've already got some spares laying around. Can't let that good french rubber go to waste!

checklist-
get trackside garage (splitting 2 car with DRG13)
get in-car camera equip
get the new track pads and bed them in (got a lot of life out of the first set- somewhere between 45-55 track sessions out of the stock pads ~4200 miles overall)
LOOK UP!
smoother with the feets
take delivery of GMG exhaust system/tuning
buy and take delivery of miata cup car
sell my condo, move closer to track(s)
buy my dad a 944 as a surprise (life's short, why wait for birthdays?)
then-

get some track wheels and tires

not that I've got it all planned out or anything...
CJ: good list! you might add a Traqmate, after the surprise for your dad. That surprise is the most important item on your list!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yeah I was going to send him to europe on one of those fall tours of the autobahn but life's too short- and he's looking to buy one for himself, but I'd like to get it him a decent one, maybe a turbo.

if I do the traqmate, I'll be tempted to go full out for the data system where it mates to the video too...and since I'm not really "racing" I don't see the point just yet.

Dan- if you want to leave the mount at Ruf, I can get it installed when I drop my car off. Oh and too bad there's not more of your car in the shot...we need a pick of our cars in the garage together.

Quick Reply: front lip spoiler