Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone do GIAC software with GMG center exhaust section?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone do GIAC software with GMG center exhaust section?

I have the GMG center exhaust unit on my GT3, and it is great. I have the exhaust bypass valve unplugged all the time. I seem to be losing some power between 2k and 4k, when compared to the valve plugged in and in Sport Mode. Since I am still in the process of breaking the car in, this is the range that I am working with right now.

Anyone have the GIAC software upgrage with the GMG? Did the software improve power in the above RPM range? Also, is there a significant difference above 4k? Just wanted some feedback before I talk to GMG.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by chardonet; 03-17-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
jeepnee driver
Intermediate

I have done it but since only had 500 miles on my car I am not sure about the gains. I'm not ready to go WOT yet but soon. If you want to check it out i'm in orange county.

Last edited by jeepnee driver; 03-18-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

How loud is the GMG exhaust ? can it be driven on the street without undue notice?
thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I'm actually getting the full exhaust installed with the GIAC software...I can't wait
Old 03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm actually getting the full exhaust installed with the GIAC software...I can't wait
I didn't realize GMG had a full system out yet. Any more details?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
FooFighterGT3
Intermediate

How long have you had the exhaust? I was told that the ecu needs some time to calibrate to eliminate the flat spot. This was with the valve plugged in though. I expect the power and torque curves of the GIAC with GMG exhaust to be similar to the GIAC with Sharkwerks exhaust. Design looks very similar.

I think the GMG full exhaust is to be released in the next month or so.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chardonet
I have the GMG center exhaust unit on my GT3, and it is great. I have the exhaust bypass valve unplugged all the time. I seem to be losing some power between 2k and 4k, when compared to the valve plugged in and in Sport Mode. Since I am still in the process of breaking the car in, this is the range that I am working with right now.
This is what James from Sharkwerks, who sells a very similar center exhaust delete unit as GMG, told me:

When you switch to sport mode, it is not simply leaving the bypass valve open all the time and at any RPM, which is what you are doing by unplugging it. I believe it opens it up at the higher RPM's, but also at idle and some of the lower RPM's. And we know that with the full stock exhaust, our GT3's are supposed to make more midrange power when switched to the sport mode.

I think this is achieved by using that valve to control the correct back pressure at certain RPM's to make the best power with that exhaust. So if you just unplug it, you get the louder exhaust at all times, but you may not be getting the best power, especially in the midrange.

If I understood James correctly on this, then it would explain why you are noticing this drop in power with the bypass valve unplugged.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
CJ is it this system?

BTW, we need sound clips asap!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:19 PM
daytonaviolet
Racer

** subscribing **
Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

the GIAC software tuning was done at EVOMs facility with our exhaust section but I would imagien it being absolutely fine
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

yes that is the system...I'm lucky that our track locally has no sound police, only fire trucks.

It's pretty pricey but getting an entire exhaust system seemed like something I can afford to risk $-wise and I'm sure everyone will want to hear the results both literally and figuratively. I wanted the meanest/ loudest solution, and this is it.

I'm not sure how much that "the powers that be" want me to disclose on the nature of the product but basically GMG has the connection in terms of this mod. It was being hand-built last week, and getting shipped to my car. I heard from my mechanic, and I will be running a before and after dyno for everyone's benefit. I will post pics and info ASAP.

Quick Reply: Anyone do GIAC software with GMG center exhaust section?