Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Next generation GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Next generation GT3

I did a quick search with this title, but couldn't find anything conclusive. Forgive me if this is a well-worn topic, but I missed out on ordering a 997GT3 and I'm anxious not to miss the next one. Any and all information, rumours and innuendo, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

my wild guess is that MY 2010 would be the earliest you will find the next GT3.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

supposedly:

Direct Injection
PDK or other paddle shifter type mechanism
and an available RS version
Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
supposedly:

Direct Injection
PDK or other paddle shifter type mechanism
and an available RS version
if it's got DI and or PDK, count me out. i'll wait for the 2nd rendition. i dont trust german's first iteration of anything.

i wonder how much will PAG rip us off price wise.

Last edited by mooty; 03-10-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it's it's got DI and or PDK, count me out. i'll wait for the 2nd rendition. i dont trust german's first iteration of anything.

My bet is MY09/10, the GT3/RS is already here since 2006.

I agreed about the 1st gen PDK might not be reliable enough, but DFI would be great tho.

Can't wait for a Manual/DFI/PCCB RS.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
if it's got DI and or PDK, count me out. i'll wait for the 2nd rendition. i dont trust german's first iteration of anything.

PDK will be optional. DI concerns me a bit for the reason you stated, but the Cayennes already have it and the Carrera will get it before the GT3, so they do have some experience. But, yes, the GT3 engine is different. I'm willing to take the chance because I'm not going to be able to resist a GT3 with 320+ lb-ft and 440+ bhp. And if it turns out to be a 3.8L, we could see maybe 340 lb-ft and 470 bhp! I want!

I'm concerned how much longer we'll see power increases as green politics progress. OTOH, we'll probably see lighter weight which is even better than more power in a sports car.

Regarding price, I think the Euro/Dollar is a bigger problem than PAG's greed.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
PDK will be optional. DI concerns me a bit for the reason you stated, but the Cayennes already have it and the Carrera will get it before the GT3, so they do have some experience. But, yes, the GT3 engine is different. I'm willing to take the chance because I'm not going to be able to resist a GT3 with 320+ lb-ft and 440+ bhp. And if it turns out to be a 3.8L, we could see maybe 340 lb-ft and 470 bhp! I want!

I'm concerned how much longer we'll see power increases as green politics progress. OTOH, we'll probably see lighter weight which is even better than more power in a sports car.

Regarding price, I think the Euro/Dollar is a bigger problem than PAG's greed.
your are right. USD is not very useful now days.

i am very interested to see how PAG address some of their deficits in racing against F430's and now the V8 BMW's. though Z06 is not in the same class in ALMS, it is a competitor of sorts on the retail market. yes, we all love porsches but at some point the relationship b/n exhorbitant pricing and performance has to be somewhat justified.

and i am not just talking DFI and/or 3.8L. becaue even at 3.8L, we are still behind the ferrari's and z06. maybe i can stir up some s**T TALK and get PAG to do some magic
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

My brother has a F430, and the two of us are always going at each other about which is "better" - P or F. The 2007 ALMS results did not help my cause much!!!! Damn!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

mooty I wouldn't worry about DFI, remember, Pcar owns vw/audi now, and therefore will steal audi's excellent dfi technology used in the Rs4, R8, S8, etc. and as speedgeek points out -they're already using in pepper and regular 911 follows that in the next year or so...

oh and don't worry about quality, that's why we get a 4 year 50k warranty!

I would like to see it come in at 3000lbs stock, but I'm not sure how they would do that as most "weight gain" in the last 20 years has been to increase relative safety and crashworthiness of the cars. They can't certify a car that is a car-coffin, so it's gonna be hard to lose weight without increasing material costs significantly...aka replace metal with carbon.

my dream-

using a DFI 3.6 liter version of the RS spyder's 3.4L v8...which they move slightly forward (5 inches) in the chassis (back seats are a waste of space anyway). easily 450hp, maybe 480.

push seating position/windshield 2 inches forward to accomodate change of drivetrain position(improve F/R bias slightly)

shrink shift linkage/input shaft by 3 inches to make up the additional space. (weight loss also)

mount drivers seat a bit more flush into chassis, decrease front windshield accordingly...(less glass, weight, better aero)

make lightweight interior door panels a no-cost factory option (saves at least 20 lbs)

PDK optional (hey some people need it/like it better, and PAG can brag about shift times-win/win!)

anyone else want to drink that Kool-aid?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Losing the rear seats would mean the 911 is no longer a 911. May as well just make it a proper mid-engine car, which would be fine for the GT3 but would not work for the Carrera line.

I was thinking they could use a design like the clever narrow-angle WV engine, and lay it on its side. But ultimately I would like to see them stick with a flat engine for low CofG.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

dude a gt3 doesn't have rear seats anyway!

the main problem about using the RS spyder V8 is that it will need more air to make that extra HP...so some kind of scoop/vent thing similar to a Ruf RT12 or fender holes like the 996/997TT, F430
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're onto something CJ.... that scenario would yield a beautiful machine with some headroom for PAG to be able to up the ante each year.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

CJ, I said it would be fine for the GT3. It would not work for the Carrera, though. The rear engine plus rear seats are what make the 911 line so unique.

BTW, my gen-1 GT3 had seatbelts mounted in back and I used those seats a lot transporting my nieces / nephew and their friends around. I even used to squeeze the occasional adult back there. And without the actual seats themselves, it's fairly comfortable for shortish distances. Remember, GT3s have been my daily drivers for years. I love having seats in back. That's why I'm looking forward to having the new GT2 folding buckets for access to the rear. I think Porsche will find a way to retain the rear seat area in the 911 and still provide a bigger engine.

OTOH, if they spend the money on more carbon and less engine, I'll be fine with that too. But they will indeed have a problem competing in GT2 races without a bigger engine.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to an article EVO did in an issue 3 years ago, Porsche is already working on a "mini" carrera GT to compete more directly with the gallardo and 430.
I have the mag at home...I will quote the article tomorrow.

R
Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the insights everyone. As a matter of interest, has anyone placed an order/deposit on one yet?

Quick Reply: Next generation GT3