Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2nd RMS Leak in 300 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:51 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd RMS Leak in 300 miles

I am frustrated with this. In December before putting my 3 away for the winter I had my RMS leak fixed. it was not bad just a few drops but since I would put it away for the winter I figured that was the time to fix it. Then I had 2700 miles on it. I have not driven it much since then I have about 3000 miles on it now. Today I started it and pulled it out to clean our the garage, and you guessed it. dips. So i have driven it about 300 miles since the fix. Also to make this more complicated, over the winter I installed the roll bar, seats and harnesses so I am sure they will take notice of that but I has not been driven on the track or anywhere for that matter. This is bull, for what we pay for the new 3 and to have to deal with not one but now two RMS leaks. I guess i am going to bring it back just to document the fact that its leaking, but I am thinking maybe I should put some miles on it before i have it fixed maybe they can come up with a real solution to the problem before I have it redone.

I saw a post by Sharky, that they started a new process in November, mine was December so I should have had the current fix.

any suggestions? Any concern about going back with a bar, seats and belts in the car?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF?? may as well go for the LWFW and clutch kit while its in there...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to hear about the RMS leaks. We've only got maybe a handful of these cars floating around our immediate area, but we've not seen any of these fail yet.

Originally Posted by leif997
WTF?? may as well go for the LWFW and clutch kit while its in there...
Agreed!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your leaks just might be residual. Wipe up the floor, then try to wipe the underside of the box and wait'n-see before you wound up.

You've got nothing to lose.

Just a thought,

Chuck
Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 AM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check to see if your state has a lemon law and if so find out under what circumstances the dealer has to take the car back. In California, a car is considered a lemon if you have the same problem occur three times or if the car is in for repairs for 30 days in the first year of ownership. My 996 GT3 had a RMS leak at 3,000 miles and then again soon after, I ended up selling the car because of the problem. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:33 AM
340Elise
Banned

All you lucky guys with your RMS issues. I am waiting for this to happen so that I can get my RS clutch/lwfw installed at a big discount. It is just waiting in my parts bedroom ready to be installed. Come on drips!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Baron
Your leaks just might be residual. Wipe up the floor, then try to wipe the underside of the box and wait'n-see before you wound up.

You've got nothing to lose.

Just a thought,

Chuck
Chuck I hope that is the case but, right after It happened I did drive it and watch it carefully and it was dry as a bone for months. About a month ago we had one good day so I went out and put about 30 miles on it, and then parked it. Did not bother to look until now. I will wipe it clean and watch is some more. I am thinking about bringing it in just to document it,but i will wait to fix it for awhile.

Ohio does have a lemon law and I think its the same they get 3 chances to fix it. however even if the problem persists beyond the warranted period, I think they have to take ownership of the problem. I just wonder why some cars have avoided it and others can't get away from it. You have to wonder If they understand the problem if I am still leaking this close to the repair, you have to wonder if some my have some type of microscopic crack in the case or something.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I am frustrated with this. In December before putting my 3 away for the winter I had my RMS leak fixed. it was not bad just a few drops but since I would put it away for the winter I figured that was the time to fix it. Then I had 2700 miles on it. I have not driven it much since then I have about 3000 miles on it now. Today I started it and pulled it out to clean our the garage, and you guessed it. dips. So i have driven it about 300 miles since the fix. Also to make this more complicated, over the winter I installed the roll bar, seats and harnesses so I am sure they will take notice of that but I has not been driven on the track or anywhere for that matter. This is bull, for what we pay for the new 3 and to have to deal with not one but now two RMS leaks. I guess i am going to bring it back just to document the fact that its leaking, but I am thinking maybe I should put some miles on it before i have it fixed maybe they can come up with a real solution to the problem before I have it redone.

I saw a post by Sharky, that they started a new process in November, mine was December so I should have had the current fix.

any suggestions? Any concern about going back with a bar, seats and belts in the car?
hey frank,
When doing an RMS fix this is what Porsche says you need:

997.102.264.91 for the shaft sealing ring (RMS as we know it).

You also need a spacer since it's a different size.
997.101.264.90 (spacer/ring)

All cars done from November 21st of 07 already have this ring/spacer in there.

To be honest, I prefer the design of the original 996TT and 996GT3 seal. it's a better design with a spring in there instead of that teflon crap which doesn't seal properly.... If you want to use that along with the ring (same size) it's: 999 113 426 41.

This is what we put in our car.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alex, I am going to save the part numbers on your post and try and figure out what they did the first time so I can see with to do the next time. On the ones that you have done, "lately" are you using the new parts or going back to the old, which ever one you use is it working do you have any going bad after the fix?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Thanks Alex, I am going to save the part numbers on your post and try and figure out what they did the first time so I can see with to do the next time. On the ones that you have done, "lately" are you using the new parts or going back to the old, which ever one you use is it working do you have any going bad after the fix?
No worries and best of luck. On our own we went to the 996 one but for other folks I'm giving them the option of either. I just don't see the 997 part number one making any difference is why.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

You could get some reimbursement possibly, but if they do not make 09 cars you risk giving the car up with no new replacement.

Originally Posted by sjgreco
You might want to check to see if your state has a lemon law and if so find out under what circumstances the dealer has to take the car back. In California, a car is considered a lemon if you have the same problem occur three times or if the car is in for repairs for 30 days in the first year of ownership. My 996 GT3 had a RMS leak at 3,000 miles and then again soon after, I ended up selling the car because of the problem. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what its worth, i was one of the very first guys i think to report RMS on my GT3 (i got my car in October of '06).

this was fixed under warranty. a few months later, i got the drips again.

the new problem was NOT an RMS leak, as it was coming from the top of the motor. they pulled the engine down and there were three suspected culprits-- bad crimping on some oil hoses up top near the water/oil heat exchanger (or whatever its called), bad O-rings on the exchanger, or the exchanger itself.

the problem was fixed again under warranty about a month ago, but i forgot to inquire exactly what the final diagnosis was, and what they had to replace (which reminds me to find out this week).

i've driven the car quite a bit and fairly aggressively in the last few weeks, and not the slightest hint of a leak since then. fingers crossed.

but moral of the story is: that second leak may not be RMS reappearing...

hope this helps...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I will know soon as I took it in today to leave it for a few days. I noticed that when I compared Alex's parts list with my repair invoice I did not have the new spacer/ring part. So we will see what they come up with. I will report when i know.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

I had 3 RMS leaks in 2700 miles. Got tired of the car being in the shop. Sold it.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has to go back also. But, hopefully with the "new" seal, it will work this time.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: 2nd RMS Leak in 300 miles