GT3 RS or GT2??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
???

Would you hurt yourself on the track with the GT2 and the xtra power?
It was just the way I would think about it. I wasn't trying to ban all GT2s from the track. I wouldn't hold your breath to see many show up there though.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
They might be in a different price range but it doesnt buy you first place. Or the best 911
I never insinuated it was, although Sir Walter himself said it was What do I know though, i'm just in a measly old 996 GT2!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

And probably the last of of the Raw Beasts
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so any thoughts about colors? + some pictures? anyone? please!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Silver RS with gunmetal accents and scripts
Old 03-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Kieran
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsu*
I just got an allocation on a GT3 RS, May production July delivery.
Are you 100% sure on the May production date? sorry for the suspicion but did you actually see it on their Porsche ordering system as a production allocation? I just checked with my dealer in Dubai and Feb is the very last slot for them and has been for some time now.

Thanks for the info...
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Carrara White RS. Black wheels, no graphics, model script delete.

Then throw a set of Euro seats in it with the Klubsport bar and call it day.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not driven a 997 GT2, but I pretty much have driven a 997 GT3 RS, that being the one without the RS at the end; close enough. The closest that I have come to driving a GT2 is the new turbo. Based on the 997 turbo motor, and my own 997 GT3, here is my honest opinion:

I cannot afford a new 997 GT2.

I like my 997 GT3 a whole lot more than the 997 Turbo, and that includes the power delivery since it is so linear and immediate in the GT3. The turbo that I drove was very fast, but it did have noticable turbo lag, mostly when I was in too high a gear, but it was definetly there. I won't go into the suspension, steering, or heft of the turbo compared to the GT3; that is a night and day difference, and is the main reason we drive a GT3/RS instead of a turbo. But getting back to the differences in the power delivery, I would much rather miss out on that ultimate push in the back of the turbo and have a high reving, linear NA motor with no surprises.

So I now imagine having that turbo motor in my GT3 with the over-boost always on. I think it would be a lot of fun in a straight line, but I personally would have a very difficult time balancing the car at anything over 7/10's when you add those pesky curves to the tangents.

I really think that the GT3/RS have plenty of power and are just about perfect right out of the box. The only reason to get the GT2 is if you must have crazy high horsepower and/or bragging rights. If the RS is not enough push in the back for you, then maybe getting the Motorsport 4.0 r&p along with some gear ratio changes will help; this and a 200 lb diet should give you the acceleration you might be looking for, but still keep things nicely blanced and linear.

I can't afford a GT2. If I could, I would buy one in addition to my GT3. But first I would sell my regular GT3 and get an RS.

You have a May allocation; are you sure about that?

Stephen
Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 AM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

GT2, a cruising experience?

I am using my sportscars most of time on the circuits. And it is for that reason, I went for a GT2.
Starting of with a Ferrari Stradale to a Challenge, to a 996 Cup, it was time for something that is highly performing, has a fantastic & flexible suspension setup (propably the most important asset on circuits) and last but not least allows me to drive to track and back home with the same car - in a nutshell, great performance with high practicality. Of course, reading the press, the car of choice should have been the GT3 RS, and I guess, mainly for the reasons, we all like NA engines. However, if you study the GT2, it becomes apparent that it s full of race DNA - suspension, gear setup, seats - if offers endless ways to optimize the handling and balance of the car.

Is that the right choice ? Well, only experience will tell and the season 2008 is starting soon
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 AM
h-bo
Instructor

gt3rs or gt2?

the gt2 is absolutely a track car, but a very badly priced one, especially compared to the gt3 ( less so against the gt3rs).

The two cars are going to be very similar in feel and driving fun (in fact given the full adjustability of set up on both they can virtually be turned into the same car).

to really simplify it you have two cars that are as good track cars as you can get. for 80% of the track you could probably be forgiven for mistaking one for the other. one costs x the other 2x, for which you only get an engine upgrade.

There is no serious track person who would seriously say that an engine upgrade is worth that much. for the extra $100,000 there are more interesting things to do than go from 415 to 530bhp with the downside of having a turbo and losinmg one of the best exhaust notes in the world.

the gt2 may be a little faster, but there is no way it is worth the extra money up front and the added depreciation if you are interested in tracking.

cruising on the street? both are great, look fantastic and you will be the toast of the town. you might prefer the look of one over the other, feel that one gives you more credibility than the other, one makes you feel better about yourself than the other. all these things are emotional and can't be quantified. you can't price these experiences. remember... they sell murcielagos!

sooo, to wrap it up. you have to to really really want that gt2 to put up the extra buck over the gt3 or gt3rs, otherwise you are getting one of the worst deals around.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:17 AM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed, it is not worth spending another USD 100 for increased horsepower. However, I did spend fortunes to make the Stradale better perform and same for the Cup to get various upgrades. With the GT2, it all comes are part of the package - many details that make a big difference. As an example, compare the RS suspension with the GT2? Same for breaks? So, its not the power, it is the perfect balance, coupled with flexibility and last but not least practicality.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

They are both great cars...I had the choice and picked the GT3RS and I am normally a boost guy.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Consider yourself privileged to have that choice! I'd go crazy just trying to decide between those two. I baught my RS a while back but at the GT2 launch I was struggling with choosing between those two if I had to.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
h-bo
Instructor

sims.. i of course agree, but to keep the argument simple it is easiest to look at the gt3 and gt2 as the same car.. one has a little more power but is much more expensive.

where are you in switzerland?

03-turbo911.
i was in dubai last week and went to the autodrome.. just to look. i was with a friend in a 997 tt. drove down to bab el shams.. it was my first time on deserted desert roads. oh my goodness... that is the wilding thing ever. does anybody respect even 3x the speed limit? going from 180mph to 0 regurlarly make the argument for ceramic breaks fairly compelling.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Glad you had fun in the sun! It's a blast when there's no traffic and no "Gendarme" to spoil all the fun

I've tried ceramics before but elected not to on the RS. I'm not missing them but I can't argue with their stopping power. It's that time when you've got to change the rotors is what scares me.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS or GT2??