Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Reminder when taking out of storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reminder when taking out of storage

It was a relatively nice day today in Toronto, just a bit above freezing and sunny so I decided to take the car for a drive. It's been parked under a cover for ~2 months. A few lessons I learned today in hopes that you don't repeat my mistakes:

1. Even if the battery has enough power to disarm the alarm does not mean it has enough to start the car.

2. If the battery is dead or low, DO NOT put the key in the ignition!! I repeat, DO NOT PUT THE KEY IN the ignition. The tumbler is electronic and will not release the key once it's in.

3. If you do manage to put the key in and it gets trapped as happened to me, the method to release it is to:

a. Get a battery pack or booster cables.
b. Open the fusebox cover in the driver's side footwell.
c. Pull the tab out for the positive lead in the fusebox.
d. Attach positive from the battery to the tab and the negative to the door hinge.
e. The key will now release.
f. Press a button on the remote, otherwise the front trunk won't open.
g. Open the trunk with the remote.
h. Open the battery lid and jump start as you'd normally do.
i. Start the car and turn the wheels back and forth and drive a short distance to clear the TC and PASM warning lights.
j. Lower the windows and close the doors
k. Close the windows, wait 1 second, then press the close button one more time. This re-sets the computer's point of knowing when the window is closed.

4. The tires need time to heat up and even with that, they are pretty hard from the storage on the cold concrete so be cautious. Wheelspin was available anywhere in 2nd gear.

5. This car is worth the monthly payments

Good luck!!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got to drive it.

Don't you have it connected to a battery maintainer?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Left my key in the ignition in October over night....same effect.....get the jumpers!!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store my car about as long as I store wine.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,268 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
I store my car about as long as I store wine.
GT3s are much more fun during the day though
Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Glad you got to drive it.

Don't you have it connected to a battery maintainer?
I live in an apartment building so it's tough to have wires running around the ground. It was a blast to drive it!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am against storing. We have rain and snow here also (eventhough this year the winter was very mild), but I wait for the time the road dries and drive the car once a week for at least 30 minutes to have everything in running order.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarekN
I am against storing. We have rain and snow here also (eventhough this year the winter was very mild), but I wait for the time the road dries and drive the car once a week for at least 30 minutes to have everything in running order.
I don't believe in storing either, but this car does not have the same corrosion protection as my previous p-cars as noted by Porsche's shortened corrosion warranty (4yrs vs. 10yrs).

The amount of salt they put down on the streets of Toronto is appalling. There has to be a better way. There is no joy in driving a car in downtown Toronto in the muck that develops over a harsh winter (this winter was the worst since I've moved here).
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Snow ... we've had over 9' so far this winter.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
MarekN
Racer

I understand about the salt, I have the same concern.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I don't believe in storing either, but this car does not have the same corrosion protection as my previous p-cars as noted by Porsche's shortened corrosion warranty (4yrs vs. 10yrs).

The amount of salt they put down on the streets of Toronto is appalling. There has to be a better way. There is no joy in driving a car in downtown Toronto in the muck that develops over a harsh winter (this winter was the worst since I've moved here).
Wouldn't it just be easier to move south for the winter? I don't know why you so many of you always need to make everything so difficult.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

No salt, even the salt dust left on the roads, on my aluminum parts!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Snow ... we've had over 9' so far this winter.
Oh my, this is a tragedy! You guys should really move to a more civilized climate, where humans were meant to live. Then you could go to the track year round, so sad. All you canucks up there pining away for a day above freezing so you can scrape the ice off the car and drive around the block just to keep the poor thing from seizing up.

I feel for you, I care, I do. I would go insane living like that.

Anyway, the guys were at the buttonwillow yesterday, sunny and mid-seventies. oh the humanity! Two more days on the schedge before the start of spring.

Thank you God for blessing us with this way of life!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
s997gt3
Racer

It was a relatively nice day today in Toronto, just a bit above freezing and sunny so I decided to take the car for a drive. It's been parked under a cover for ~2 months. A few lessons I learned today in hopes that you don't repeat my mistakes:

1. Even if the battery has enough power to disarm the alarm does not mean it has enough to start the car.

2. If the battery is dead or low, DO NOT put the key in the ignition!! I repeat, DO NOT PUT THE KEY IN the ignition. The tumbler is electronic and will not release the key once it's in.

3. If you do manage to put the key in and it gets trapped as happened to me, the method to release it is to:

a. Get a battery pack or booster cables.
b. Open the fusebox cover in the driver's side footwell.
c. Pull the tab out for the positive lead in the fusebox.
d. Attach positive from the battery to the tab and the negative to the door hinge.
e. The key will now release.
f. Press a button on the remote, otherwise the front trunk won't open.
g. Open the trunk with the remote.
h. Open the battery lid and jump start as you'd normally do.
i. Start the car and turn the wheels back and forth and drive a short distance to clear the TC and PASM warning lights.
j. Lower the windows and close the doors
k. Close the windows, wait 1 second, then press the close button one more time. This re-sets the computer's point of knowing when the window is closed.

4. The tires need time to heat up and even with that, they are pretty hard from the storage on the cold concrete so be cautious. Wheelspin was available anywhere in 2nd gear.

5. This car is worth the monthly payments

Good luck!!

GREAT THANKS,I WILL PRINT OUT AND SAVE
Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I the only crazy one or does anyone else think this a ridiculous ordeal to put your customer through simply because the car battery failed? In my view Porsche needs to hire some decent electronic system engineers to go along with their great suspension/drive train design team.

Rocky

Quick Reply: Reminder when taking out of storage