Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Open Trailex for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I looked into renting a trailer prior to a 6 week cross country tour with my Speedster a few years back. The economics worked better by *buying* a steel trailer ($3K range). I sold the trailer one year later and lost approx. $800 net. Regarding my next trailer, I am personally debating going with Trailex Alum (luxury) versus steal again (good enough). I really like the weight of aluminum, though most SUVs today can pull 7700lbs so steel is less of a hinderance....

My $0.02,
-Blake
IMO if you plan on keeping a trailer for any significant length of time (>1-2 years) you can't beat a Trailex based on economics, ergonomics or any other rationale analysis. A Trailex (open or enclosed) can be sold used for its original purchase price (ever wonder why used ones are so hard to find?). A steel trailer will depreciate (and deteriorate) rapidly. The retail price of the enclosed Trailex I have has gone up >$4K in the 2+ years I have had it. I trailer my cars ~6000 miles a year in every type of weather. For me the Trailex is a great example of the axiom "you get what you pay for."
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mkozink
IMO if you plan on keeping a trailer for any significant length of time (>1-2 years) you can't beat a Trailex based on economics, ergonomics or any other rationale analysis. A Trailex (open or enclosed) can be sold used for its original purchase price (ever wonder why used ones are so hard to find?). A steel trailer will depreciate (and deteriorate) rapidly. The retail price of the enclosed Trailex I have has gone up >$4K in the 2+ years I have had it. I trailer my cars ~6000 miles a year in every type of weather. For me the Trailex is a great example of the axiom "you get what you pay for."
+1
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great point. For me, steel was easy to acquire locally, and did not cost much out of pocket. Looking at the $800 versus a U-Haul rental, it was a no brainer. For the next trailer, I will DEFINITELY consider the Trailex.

I appreciate your comments.

-Blake
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Great point. For me, steel was easy to acquire locally, and did not cost much out of pocket. Looking at the $800 versus a U-Haul rental, it was a no brainer. For the next trailer, I will DEFINITELY consider the Trailex.

I appreciate your comments.

-Blake
Blake-

I understand what you are saying. I confronted the same issues when I purchased my first trailer (a used steel United Expressline). I never really considered renting something (probably should have ). Once I realized I was going to make a long term commitment to track events I invested in the Trailex.

BTW- the Speedster is sweet. I am not a big convertible fan but that is one of my favs. Any pictures available?

Matt

Last edited by mkozink; 02-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
trailex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Post TRAILEX TRAILER FOR PORSCHE

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS, THIS IS CARL @ TRAILEX. THE 7541 IS OUR "911" TRAILER. WE HAVE DEVELOPED THIS UNIT OVER THE PAST 25 YEARS. IT IS THE PERFECT FIT FOR ALMOST ANY 911. SOME OF THE SUPER LOW CUP CARS, ETC MAY NEED SOME KIND OF EXTENSION. THIS IS RARE BUT AS OUR DEALER PRIMO MENTIONED WOOD WILL WORK.

CARL AT TRAILEX 800-282-5042 TRAILEX1@AOL.COM

PIC OF THE 7541 WITH PORSCHE. BELOW.
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailex with 996

Here is my picture at VIR.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2008, 12:57 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trailex
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS, THIS IS CARL @ TRAILEX. THE 7541 IS OUR "911" TRAILER. WE HAVE DEVELOPED THIS UNIT OVER THE PAST 25 YEARS. IT IS THE PERFECT FIT FOR ALMOST ANY 911. SOME OF THE SUPER LOW CUP CARS, ETC MAY NEED SOME KIND OF EXTENSION. THIS IS RARE BUT AS OUR DEALER PRIMO MENTIONED WOOD WILL WORK.

Carl- you da' man
Old 02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bella1
Here is my picture at VIR.
Looks great! My only concern would be getting rock chips on the front of your 911 from debris thrown up by the tow vehicle. I know that Trailex has the option for a deflector.... IMHO, the deflector is a no-brainer... But then again, if it is a track car - it will get scratched, dinged and pinged anyway!

(Gtreat picture btw - I want those two vehicles!)

-Blake
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Blake-

I understand what you are saying. I confronted the same issues when I purchased my first trailer (a used steel United Expressline). I never really considered renting something (probably should have ). Once I realized I was going to make a long term commitment to track events I invested in the Trailex.

BTW- the Speedster is sweet. I am not a big convertible fan but that is one of my favs. Any pictures available?

Matt
Matt - I looked hard at rentals, but felt that ALL of what was a available was junk. Regarding "Speedster" pics, I posted a link over on the 964 board asking for pics... I posted 4 pics of my car at the top of the thread..
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/411072-post-photos-of-your-964-speedster.html

-Blake
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcracing
Problem with the 8045 for some folks (me included) is the additional length does not fit in the storage area dedicated for the trailer. Good point on the extra length allowing you to take that extra "getting around toy" to the track!
I just went through this in January. I bought the 8045 from tip to tip its 20' 11''. i think the 7541 is like 19' the problem is that my 997 GT3 is like 73 inches wide at the rear tires. the 7541 ramps are 75 inches wide. so when you drive it on you have got to hit the mark. that was the big difference for me because the 8045 is 80'' wide so it gives you a little room to negotiate. Also i agree down side is that the 8045 is a big sucker difficult to store in most garages. Something i am currently planning around in my new two car garage project. Lastly, I did not confirm this to be an issue but one I would know about before I went with the 7541. Tongue wt is a big deal with your set up with the tow vehicle. the GT3 has to be more forward than most because if its rear engine, unless you back it on the trailer. you want to be sure you can get the right ratio on the trailer tongue wt so you have good pulling dynamics before you go with the shorter trailer and for sure you have adjustment room on the 8045. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Hanz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trailex

Carl/ Tom,
Thanks for the great pictures. Snug but definitely fits! Will the air dam fit on as well?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! My only concern would be getting rock chips on the front of your 911 from debris thrown up by the tow vehicle. I know that Trailex has the option for a deflector.... IMHO, the deflector is a no-brainer... But then again, if it is a track car - it will get scratched, dinged and pinged anyway!

(Gtreat picture btw - I want those two vehicles!)

-Blake
That is the way I look at it. I do have the 3M protection on the front. I have thought about the air dam but I opted for the tire rack for now. I just put it on two weeks ago.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
That is the way I look at it. I do have the 3M protection on the front. I have thought about the air dam but I opted for the tire rack for now. I just put it on two weeks ago.
You can use the deflector in front w/the tire rack.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Rceron
Racer

if you are buying an open trailer go with the size that accommodates all types of cars so if you decide to sell it later (to upgrade to enclosed) the market will be bigger than just the 911 crowd.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanz
I'm trying to decide what is the right Trailex open trailer for my 08 GT3. Ken at Trailex said the CT-7541 (75" wide x 153" long plus the front triangle) is most popular with 911 guys but after measuring the car (71" wide x 176" long) it seems too little. The car is wide in front of the wheels and I think it will hit the optional air dam on the trailer. Does anyone have experience with this combination? The next size up, CT-8045, (80-1/4" x 176" long plus the front triangle) is obviously plenty big. The bigger model also has 11' vs. 9' ramps which must be a plus with the low chin spoiler. Also, does anybody have any experience with Trailex's new line of welded trailers?
thanks
Here is mine. It's almost 15 years old and was set up for my old track car, a Turbo Cup 944. I got my GT3 in August 2007. I've towed it twice to Mid Ohio. So far, I've had to back it on the trailer due to balance/sway issues. Trailex sets up your trailer based on the car you're going to tow. Carl told me how much I have to move the axles back to balance it for the GT3 ( 12"). I'll probably do it next month, since it's pretty tough to back the car on the trailer. You pretty much can't see a thing. Going forward is a snap. I have 8 foot ramps and there is no problem getting on the trailer either forwards or backwards with these ramps. Here are some pics. Kyle

Quick Reply: Open Trailex for GT3