Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

It got up the driveway! (My new car)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It got up the driveway! (My new car)

So I traded in my otherwise lovely Cayman S after just four short months of ownership. Never even got to take it to the track once . The Cayman is really such a great car. Especially at that price point. I have nothing bad to say about that car. Awesome daily driver, lots of fun.

Anyways, I had been eyeing the GT3 even before I got the Cayman. Obviously it would have been cheaper just to get what I wanted the first time around seeing as the GT3s have hardly come down in price since I got the Cayman, but the Cayman has gone down ~$10K (retail to trade-in, but still).

Since I'll be driving throughout the rest of the Winter season, I got a set of 18"s with Michelin Pilot Alpins on them. And much to my surprise, the GT3 doesn't even seem THAT low. It got up my driveway with only a little bit of scraping. I might have to back out, but that's no big deal. They threw in another bumper as part of the deal, so I can practice my scraping on this thing .

Car really seems in great condition. It only had 1,000 miles on the clock, had never even seen the redline, much less the track. Guy installed laser jammer, radar detector, bluetooth, and XM radio too, which was nice to get as part of the package.

A few thoughts coming from a guy who's never had a 911 before, but a Boxster/Cayman/Gallardo/F430:

The ride really isn't bad AT ALL. It's MUCH better than my Gallardo. The seats are considerably more comfortable too.

Love the fact that there's so much torque down low. Especially since I have another effing 1K miles to go on the break-in, I haven't even had it much above 6K RPM yet and that wasn't even with WOT. Can't wait to wring this car out on Summer tires!

The brakes are insane. Almost too good. The car has the ceramics and the stopping power is just immense. Feels much, much stronger than the Cayman. And better feel than the otherwise huge steels on the Gallardo.

I absolutely love the feel of the shifter. The clutch is a tad hard in slow traffic, but not terrible. The feel of the steering is really impressive and the car feels incredibly stable and flat when quickly changing direction.

The chassis does a fantastic job at telling you all about where it's at. If you're getting a little greedy on the throttle, it'll start to nudge away ever so gently, giving you plenty of time to decide what to do.

Tomorrow is going to be 30 degrees and Sunny in Chicago. What perfect timing! I'll definitely be out trying to get as many miles on the car as possible. Loving it already!
Attached Images       
Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats...she's a beaut...enjoy in good health
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Congratulations again! Wait until you get 2000 or so miles on the car; the motor really feels like it wakes up at that point . As for the clutch, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. The fun will come after you get used to the GT3 and drive another manual transmission car; I guarantee you'll feel like you're going to jam the clutch pedal through the floor .

Maybe 30 and sunny tomorrow, but 10" - 12" of snow for Sunday, so enjoy it while you can!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cobrien
Congratulations again! Wait until you get 2000 or so miles on the car; the motor really feels like it wakes up at that point . As for the clutch, you'll get used to it pretty quickly. The fun will come after you get used to the GT3 and drive another manual transmission car; I guarantee you'll feel like you're going to jam the clutch pedal through the floor .
Hahaha, no kidding. I drove a rental Boxster S in California in December and they must have installed the most heavy-duty clutch I've ever felt. Significantly heavier than the GT3. When I got back and drove the Cayman, I seriously was afraid that I would go through the floor when I tried the first few gear changes
Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
nedgu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I sold a cayman s (07) recently for a GT3 as well.

Like you, I loved my cayman. The handling, road feel, sound of the engine... everything was fantastic! Unfortunately, I test drove a 996 gt3 and 997 gt3 and it was over.

I started with the 996 gt3 and loved it. The 997 was not quite as raw and visceral, but it felt a lot more refined and faster- especially in the higher rpms, I was blown away (the sound too was mesmerizing).

I still miss my cayman a lot and think about getting another at some point, but I'm very happy with the GT3 (08, still need to post pics, it's been busy). It's so fast and so easy to drive on a daily basis, despite the low front bumper and firm suspension. It's been said countless times before, but a cayman with the gt3 engine and suspension, brakes, etc. would be unbelievable.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

webster I'm glad we could talk you into it! the gt3 will do nothing but grow on you and get better as it's broken in! hope you get to exercise it properly once the weather starts cooperating
Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Congrats! Love the contrasting white interrior trims!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gorgeous car! Enjoy it! Now you need to get out there and drive it, then take it to the track for the real fun. (Great color btw!)

Best of luck...

-Blake
Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How as the experience with the Porsche Exchange?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:50 AM
webster132
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mklaskin
How as the experience with the Porsche Exchange?
I'd saw overall pretty good. They seem like a good group of people. I'd buy there again.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:20 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Webster. I always kid that there are WAY too many white ones but the fact is White is simply stunning!!
Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!! Its easy to see why they are so popular. I was going to get one too and changed to GT silver right at the last second.n COngrats!!!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Beautiful car! You made the right choice: as others said,when you really open up the engine with summer tires on, you will enjoy a true GT3 experience. For now, it is just teasing you
Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM
chardonet
Racer

Congratulations! We told you so!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by webster132
I'd saw overall pretty good. They seem like a good group of people. I'd buy there again.
The Semerskys are good people. Very responsive and good follow on support. I had my eye on the white GT3. I did not think it would last as long as it did; enjoy
Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 PM
webster132
Intermediate

Apparently, they had a guy from NY who had already promised to buy it, but never came through with the money on it.

Quick Reply: It got up the driveway! (My new car)