Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmundy
Alright I have a silly question. How much do people really think piston rings wear after the first few hundred revolutions? I have never seen much sense in an extended break in period but I'm happy to listen.
I hear that it is mainly for breaking in the driver, not the car.

I don't think we will ever know the real truth.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by dmundy
It's not that it's a big deal, it's that I can't see how it makes much difference. So far (admittedly on race engines) I have had better luck with running motors as hard as I can once they are in cars. I do one pace lap and that's about it. I just don't see how the rings care much past the first few hundred revolutions. Which took place before you got the car.

There is no question that random other stuff can be found during early ownership of a car.

I confess I am still getting accustomed to the radiator cap on 911's.
I can see it both ways. There are a lot of people that baby their engines and there are some that run full-bore out of the gates.

The only thing I would be concerned about if it the rings don't seal quick enough. This website (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) says that it does matter, but like the last post, "I don't think we'll ever know definitively."

Quick Reply: RS Break-in