My new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My new car

Hi All,

I drove to my the Porsche dealer last night just before they closed (I don't know why I do these things). So I get out of my car and see a fellow Rennlister standing by some Audis on his cell phone; he doesn't recognize me until he gets off the phone and we shake hands.

He drove his 2006 STI (his daily driver) and I asked him how he was doing and what he was doing. He tells me that he is trading his STI for an Audi S4. I ask him if the deal was done and what the buy bid is on the STI. He tells me the buy bid, it is going out of state, and that the local Porsche dealer does not want to put it on the lot.

So I tell him to hold off a minute and that I would like to VERY possibly buy it. He is a bit surprised, but tells me what the buy bid is from a wholesaler buddy of his, and that he is pretty sure that the guy would not mind if I take it.

I ask for the keys and take it for a 2 mile test drive. I come back with the salesman and finance guy breathing down my neck telling me that I need to make a decision ASAP. I tell them "SOLD!"

So they change the paperwork to no longer reflect the trade-in and park the car in the back of the dealership. I will get a bank draft this morning and pick up the car shortly!

The car was extremely impressive, and it was the first time I ever really got to "drive" one (broken in and at full operating temp). All I can say is WOW; this should be a nice upgrade to my 1988 Toyota Tercel; although I do want to upgrade that car to a Tercel RS this summer.

I had no intention of buying a car last night, and my entire decision time from first seeing my buddy's STi to the point where I said "SOLD" took about 15-20 minutes.

It is nice to know that the only owner of the car is a Rennlister who I know personally, and who I know is very **** about his cars. This 2006 STi also only has about 9K miles on it! If it were not under these conditions, then I don't think I would ever buy a used STi unless it was from an adult owned, first owner, private party sale; and even then I would have some reservations about buying this type of car. If it were anyone less than 40 years of age, I wouldn't even look at it.

Anyway, I will post pics some other day along with my GT3, which is currently undergoing an extreme makeover; I hope you all will like what I have done with my GT3.

btw, the STi is blue with gold wheels.

Stephen

Last edited by 340Elise; 02-13-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy car, that STI. Enjoy!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:47 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Congrat! Excellent choice. I must say that I like the old STI better than the new hatchback one.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations! Impulse buying is so much fun.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Great buy. I really enjoy my 2007 WRX. I just finished some suspension work. Springs/shocks/camber plates/control arm bushings and sway bars. These cars really respond well to a carefully chosen suspension since the stock suspension has so much slop in it (not as bad with STi).
Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Yargk
Great buy. I really enjoy my 2007 WRX. I just finished some suspension work. Springs/shocks/camber plates/control arm bushings and sway bars. These cars really respond well to a carefully chosen suspension since the stock suspension has so much slop in it (not as bad with STi).
This one already has an upgraded supension; I will have to ask exactly what my friend did, but as a fellow Rennlister and 997 turbo owner (none of us are perfect ) I would think he picked some quality hardware. It felt great driving it; very well planted with little body roll. My 5 minute test drive was enough to win me over!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Congratulations! Impulse buying is so much fun.
Yes it is!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

That's a good fun car!

I have an EVO TME before and that's the best buy.

Enjoy.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

heheh cool story... Now get some rallying done
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Do you mind if I ask what you paid? I'll soon be gifting my daily driver (Volvo S60R) to my son; he in turn will be giving his WRX to my other son. I will then be stuck driving an Escalade to work (due to PR reasons I can't readily drive GT3 or 928GT to work) and am interested in a STI as a DD.

Thanks; I'll understand if you don't want to divulge this info.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 PM
TripleM
Racer

I went thru v similar exp as well, my budd's 2003 STi Spec C 2yrs back...took the car in bout half an hour w/o even test driving it.
An Ultimate AWD that car...weighing at 1350kg
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You know those boxer engine sounds really good with aftermarket exhaust
Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by wilfred
You know those boxer engine sounds really good with aftermarket exhaust
It has different springs (same dampers) which lower it a bit and stiffen up the ride a bit. It also has a Borla exhaust, which actually sounds decent, but nothing like the single tip screamers I used to have on my Elise and Exige.

It also has a very high quality window tint with a lifetime warranty.

I am having more fun driving this STi than the M Coupe which I share with my friend. And the practicality cannot be beat for this kind of performance. I must say that the handling characteristics of a well built AWD system produce some impressive and confident results. This thing just grabs hold of pavement and pulls you around corners with no drama whatsoever. However, it is not as fun as a RWD car like the M Coupe and GT3.

I think it makes for a most excellent DD, although once I get my GT3 back from the paint shop, I will have to decide each day between the two. Hmmmmmmmm, anybody want to buy an STi?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by deutschmick
Do you mind if I ask what you paid? I'll soon be gifting my daily driver (Volvo S60R) to my son; he in turn will be giving his WRX to my other son. I will then be stuck driving an Escalade to work (due to PR reasons I can't readily drive GT3 or 928GT to work) and am interested in a STI as a DD.

Thanks; I'll understand if you don't want to divulge this info.
Sie haben ein PMen!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

congrats , George Bush will thank you for supporting your economy.

Quick Reply: My new car