Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Default snow

drove gt3 with well worn psc's in parking lot during first snowfall of 2007-8 in ny and it was an eye opener. obviously the tires are worthless in the snow but lack of tire traction gives opportunity to learn about car's intrinsic handling.

1st the good. the traction control is very useful and can tell big difference between sport and regular mode.

now the bad. the rear engine layout is terrible and only works b/c porsche engineers are magicians. theyve taken a wild swinging pendulum and tamed it thru 50 yrs of magic. there is zero control when it oversteers and to make matters worse it actually speeds up in the 2nd spin as the heavy rear leads the front thru a 720.

ive done this in past with ferrari 355 and boxster and could easily control slides. mid engine is so much better than rear. i wish i could try a cgt in same snow to see the difference.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- just so you know, there is no rust protection on the car so make sure you wash off any salt if there was any

- i have conti snows 235 / 295s on the car for the winter (it is not a daily) and i too have taken the car out in the snow for some fun - it is remarkably better with snows on (obviously) and it is a great way to work on car control

- no question, once a 911 does more than 45 degrees of rotation it is bascally unstopable (VIR turn #1 last year taught me this - i pinched the trackout) but what you do learn is that if you have very fast hands any reasonable rotation can me caught - you just have to be ready to immediatley catch the slide
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- just so you know, there is no rust protection on the car so make sure you wash off any salt if there was any
Yesterday I was at a Chicago-area Porsche event and I had the opportunity to ride in a Panamera with one of the regional guys from PCNA. I told him I had an 07 RS and asked him if it was true that the RS has less rust-proofing than the regular cars. He responded, "Is that something you got off of Rennlist?" (Which I thought was an interesting comment), but he said it was not entirely true. The RS has less soundproofing than the regular and soundproofing is not rustproofing (but I interpreted his response to imply that soundproofing does add some additional element of rustproofing).

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Quick Reply: snow