Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS It's here

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet. Nice car. Its amazing how much joy a car can bring. Life is short enjoy.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 556 Posts

Better get a cover for that 993 because you won't be driving it much anymore.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Sweet. Nice car. Its amazing how much joy a car can bring. Life is short enjoy.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Very nice.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 PM
rop3
Pro

CJ,

I noticed that your car was produced after mine based on the VIN but it actually arrived a month and a half earlier? Mine took a long time in production, the factory shut down in December etc.

If December production cutoff is accurate and in fact no more for 09. Than these cars will be the last for this market. There was some speculation of 60 cars total then some mention with the weak dollar the remainder were being sent to other markets. Not sure how Porsche makes those decisions because mine was at the end of the production cycle yet the dealer had the allocation commitment by June 1st. So I would think all 60 were allocated months ago. Yet it does not seem like there are that many around.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
congrats and welcome to the club.

you might have one of the last 5-10 delivered stateside fyi
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful, enjoy it in good health. Nice options.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! That is really beautiful.

You should take it on a 2000 mile trip. Just stop somewhere for the night (in a hotel) after driving the first 1000 miles, right CJ?

I think the consensus of rumors was 259 or so (for 2007) and 60 or 65 (for 2008) sent to the USA. That would be about 325 in the USA.

The rumors had Canada getting 30 (for 2007), so I would guess they got less than 10 more (for 2008).

MJones was giving us sales numbers up until about June 2007. From February 2007 thru June 2007, he reported that 213 GT3 RS has been delivered to the USA. That jives with the rumor of 259 (for 2007) pretty well, since 2007s were still being delivered in July, August, etc...

If the USA gets 40% of Porsche's production (is that accurate?) then there will be 800 GT3 RS total. Porsche produced 700 of the 996 GT3 RS (but none for the USA!) so an increase in numbers makes sense.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

haha don't ask my advice on road trips-
europe in the gt3 factory deliver: 2800 miles- 14 days driving (few more spent parked in italy)
audi rs4 across usa: 5200 miles in about 8 days
gt3rs: 1650 miles in first 36 hours of ownership.

oh yeah and that's all since november 1st.

and for the record as my location can attest- I slept in the car for a few hours (hotel parking lot) on the trip- no bed needed!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
rop3
Pro

Hey those are great trips/history with the new cars etc, you should sign up for the cannonball run! At least your using them.

I'am planning a 3 week trip this summer of maybe Vegas, California, Arizona. Thinking of shipping my 944 cab out in advance,after it's turbo transplant. Driving the coast etc. Porsche really are great cars and meant to be used. Did it last year in a Toyota rental just no the same. Can't see the whole garage queen thing.

Up to 80 miles on the RS, took it to work yesterday, bad roads cold patch asphalt, some guy passed me, kicking up asphalt/rocks etc. horrible.

Got to get some film on the RS and quick, trying to decide which film is better, talking to installers etc. need to make a decision soon then take maxpowers advice do a 1,000 miles north or south and turn around.

haha don't ask my advice on road trips-
europe in the gt3 factory deliver: 2800 miles- 14 days driving (few more spent parked in italy)
audi rs4 across usa: 5200 miles in about 8 days
gt3rs: 1650 miles in first 36 hours of ownership.

oh yeah and that's all since november 1st.

and for the record as my location can attest- I slept in the car for a few hours (hotel parking lot) on the trip- no bed needed!

Last edited by rop3; 02-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

just get whatever film can cover as much of the car. i've got venture on my RS and 3m on my turbo- I don't really notice a difference in cost but venture can do the entire hood- 3m only does the front part of it.

I'd love to do the cannonball run (my RS4 wouldn't be bad except for the 14 gallon gas tank) but my job doesn't allow me the time!

My cobalt gt3 arrived almost 2 weeks later than the RS despite the fact that I returned it to the factory almost 3 weeks before the RS was even assembled!

there was a recall on the TCS/ PSM/Sport button section of the center radio console, so maybe your car was affected by that while on the production line. Also- those little exclusive options like alcantara trim strip and orange gear lever surround definitely delay completion. when I went to the factory they told us that deviating stitching and other interior exclusive stuff accounts for certain delays because the interior all has to be finished before the car shell can be painted.

once shells are painted, they enter the assembly line and the interior/mechanical bits get installed in 6-8.5 hours (depending on time of day and lunch schedule). The interior all follows the car on a large mounting rack, and then individual parts are put in station by station. So those little trim bits that cost a lot of money, I remember it making much more sense after the factory tour.

Since my RS has no options other than pccb and floormats, it was probably put together SUPER fast.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 PM
rop3
Pro

Had a friend stop by today he is in the auto body biz we installed 2 small four inch samples of X-pel premium and regular. The premium is thicker but it's much more clear almost transparent no orange peel or haze. Even holding both up to the light you can see the diff.

It's a new product a little pricey most installers won't use it unless requested, from what I gather X-pel is the largest player and most installers dont like their biz practices but the product looks good and it does come in wide rolls.

One guy quoted $3,800 to do the entire car another was $2,800. Anyone on the board do the entire car nose, hood, complete doors, rockers, quarters rear bumper? Does this sound right?

just get whatever film can cover as much of the car. i've got venture on my RS and 3m on my turbo- I don't really notice a difference in cost but venture can do the entire hood- 3m only does the front part of it.

I'd love to do the cannonball run (my RS4 wouldn't be bad except for the 14 gallon gas tank) but my job doesn't allow me the time!

My cobalt gt3 arrived almost 2 weeks later than the RS despite the fact that I returned it to the factory almost 3 weeks before the RS was even assembled!

there was a recall on the TCS/ PSM/Sport button section of the center radio console, so maybe your car was affected by that while on the production line. Also- those little exclusive options like alcantara trim strip and orange gear lever surround definitely delay completion. when I went to the factory they told us that deviating stitching and other interior exclusive stuff accounts for certain delays because the interior all has to be finished before the car shell can be painted.

once shells are painted, they enter the assembly line and the interior/mechanical bits get installed in 6-8.5 hours (depending on time of day and lunch schedule). The interior all follows the car on a large mounting rack, and then individual parts are put in station by station. So those little trim bits that cost a lot of money, I remember it making much more sense after the factory tour.

Since my RS has no options other than pccb and floormats, it was probably put together SUPER fast.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:57 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Power
Congrats! That is really beautiful.

You should take it on a 2000 mile trip. Just stop somewhere for the night (in a hotel) after driving the first 1000 miles, right CJ?

I think the consensus of rumors was 259 or so (for 2007) and 60 or 65 (for 2008) sent to the USA. That would be about 325 in the USA.

The rumors had Canada getting 30 (for 2007), so I would guess they got less than 10 more (for 2008).

MJones was giving us sales numbers up until about June 2007. From February 2007 thru June 2007, he reported that 213 GT3 RS has been delivered to the USA. That jives with the rumor of 259 (for 2007) pretty well, since 2007s were still being delivered in July, August, etc...

If the USA gets 40% of Porsche's production (is that accurate?) then there will be 800 GT3 RS total. Porsche produced 700 of the 996 GT3 RS (but none for the USA!) so an increase in numbers makes sense.
As of Jan 1st, 08, 374 RS's sold in USA, 36 in Canada.
Rich

Last edited by gt3racerich; 02-09-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Have to add: That is buy far the nicest interior of any RS I have seen. IMO.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:11 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rop3
Had a friend stop by today he is in the auto body biz we installed 2 small four inch samples of X-pel premium and regular. The premium is thicker but it's much more clear almost transparent no orange peel or haze. Even holding both up to the light you can see the diff.

It's a new product a little pricey most installers won't use it unless requested, from what I gather X-pel is the largest player and most installers dont like their biz practices but the product looks good and it does come in wide rolls.

One guy quoted $3,800 to do the entire car another was $2,800. Anyone on the board do the entire car nose, hood, complete doors, rockers, quarters rear bumper? Does this sound right?
Anywhere in the $3500-$4000 is about right for a 'full body wrap'. A couple of hundred $$ here or there don't matter much in the bigger scheme of things...key is to have the right guy do the install so that there are no wrinkles, air bubbles or stretch marks.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Anywhere in the $3500-$4000 is about right for a 'full body wrap'. A couple of hundred $$ here or there don't matter much in the bigger scheme of things...key is to have the right guy do the install so that there are no wrinkles, air bubbles or stretch marks.
The key is to make sure that the installer is not cutting the pieces on the car. most are now computer cut, but if you do the entire hood (I did), you may not get a pre cut piece. Many horror stories of cars with a lot of cuts in the paint from inexperienced installers.

As for air bubbles and stretch marks, air bubbles can clear out over time especially when left in the direct sunlight (one reason not to do this in the winter if you are in a cold climate), but the stretch marks are permanent I guess; I personally have not seen stretch marks on any of my cars with clear shields.

If it is not perfect you can always have them redo it another time, but the protection is there. But the cuts in the paint are much more permanent!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
As of Jan 1st, 08, 374 RS's sold in USA, 36 in Canada.
Rich

So we have a running total for GT3 RS sold/delivered in the USA:

18 February 2007
70 March 2007
118 April 2007
163 May 2007
213 June 2007
??? July 2007
??? August 2007
??? September 2007
??? October 2007
??? November 2007
374 December 2007

We are over the original estimates.
There must be over 400 of them in the USA, and still counting.

Quick Reply: RS It's here