Pictures of lift installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pictures of lift installation

Hi,

I had a Rotary Revolution lift installed in the garage. Took the guys all day, and was well worth the $900 installation charge. It would have taken me four days with all my strongest buddies. The guys said they have never seen anyone do it.

It's a great lift, handles 7,000 pounds which is overkill. It's 110 volt. I also got the drip trays, and drive on ramps for low profile cars. I also had to raise the garage door and move the motor from the ceiling to a jackshaft motor mounted on the wall. It's nearly silent.

Thought you might like a few photos.

Blue

Last edited by Bluehinder; 06-10-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I've got the same setup, including raised door and side mount opener! Love it! One thing though, it took my contractor and I (both had never seen a lift before), about 4 hours to install it ourselves! It's very simple.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Can one of you show me the side motor garage door please.

thx
Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Donuts,

Interesting that you and your contractor did it alone in four hours. These guys are the only dealer in Colorado, and have installed over fifty lifts, and it took six men seven hours to do the job. Look at pictures number two and three, those guys are doing some heavy lifting. Can't imaging doing it with less. It took an hour alone to unbolt the package as seen in number one.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also would like to see the pictures of the garage door. How high are your ceilings in the garage ?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Why 4 post instead of 2 post?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Went four post for storage. It has dead bolt locks when raised.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

How high does the ceiling have to be?....Thanks....GR
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Donuts,

Interesting that you and your contractor did it alone in four hours. These guys are the only dealer in Colorado, and have installed over fifty lifts, and it took six men seven hours to do the job. Look at pictures number two and three, those guys are doing some heavy lifting. Can't imaging doing it with less. It took an hour alone to unbolt the package as seen in number one.
I have to agree with Donuts. I had a Backyard Buddy installed this Summer. It is nearly identical in size/complexity/configuration to your lift. It took two men six hours to completely install it - one guy was brawn and the other was the brains (technical) guy. To be clear, I had a different guy do the high-lift door and LiftMaster. Did your 42 manhours include the door? BTW, I paid $600, so you got a bargain (on a per hour basis) at $900 for six guys.

There is a (poor) picture of the side-mount opener attached. I was lucky to have 15' ceilings to work with.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM
donuts
Instructor

It took about an hour to unpack it. To be clear we had 3 guys to lift the heaviest part of the lift off the cube van, that being the ramp with the cylinder under it (same piece as pic #2). It was like 500 lbs. But to install it we each lifted one end and picked it up to our waists. But after everything was on the ground it took us less than 4 hours to install it. My contractor is HUGE, and I'm only 160 lbs... Also it was our first time doing it. It's VERY easy, there are like 8 pieces, a pump and 4 cables.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm getting the same thing done this coming week. My company I contracted with charges $650 plus $50 for "delivery" so $700 total. I thought for a second I was getting taken but it sound like that is about the going rate as I think they are sending 3 guys.

My only question is HOW HIGH IS YOUR CEILING??? That looks very low and no way another car could fit under the lift. Those seemed to be about 9 foot ceilings which I can't imagine are even close to being able to have 2 cars in that stall.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:12 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
I have to agree with Donuts. I had a Backyard Buddy installed this Summer. It is nearly identical in size/complexity/configuration to your lift. It took two men six hours to completely install it - one guy was brawn and the other was the brains (technical) guy. To be clear, I had a different guy do the high-lift door and LiftMaster. Did your 42 manhours include the door? BTW, I paid $600, so you got a bargain (on a per hour basis) at $900 for six guys.

There is a (poor) picture of the side-mount opener attached. I was lucky to have 15' ceilings to work with.
Very nice. How much was the Backyard Buddy?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by K964
Very nice. How much was the Backyard Buddy?
Thanks,
Mike
I paid $4,600 for a 7,000# capacity lift (delivered). That included three drip-pans and a oil change apparatus on casters. The garage door modifications and sidemount opener ran $1,200 installed.

As for ceiling height, you need at least 4" for the ramp thickness (for a BYB) + 51.2" for a 997S + XX" for the vehicle underneath. My lift will fit a 71.5" vehicle underneath. So...in my case, the whole rig maxes out at about 10.6' (4+51.2+71.5 / 12). You could get away with a ten foot ceiling if you never plan to park an SUV underneath. Or, even nine feet for two sporty (997 sized) cars.

Someone asked about two post vs four post. With two post, you need to start thinking about the thickness of your garage floor. Four post spread the contact area more evenly (four foot-square patches), so the result is less pressure than a car on four tires - even counting the 2,000# lift.

I also considered a Rotary (like Blue's) - I think that they are a horse-apiece. The two most important factors are: made-in-America, with non-Chinese steel and, a robust safety/locking mechanism. BYB and Rotary both get A+'s in that regard. You can buy lifts for as little as $2,000, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the original car stackers from the '80's -- they don't make them like this anymore. Super heavy duty -- it's been in operation since 1988. My ceiling height is 110".
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

My ceiling is nine feet. It fits the RS and R8 without problem. I can fit the R8 under the A8, but that was never the intent.

I only had the A8 on for testing. I plan to stack the C2S cab on top for the winter with the R8 below.

I don't own any like a suburban.

Quick Reply: Pictures of lift installation