Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
rsman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT2 Spec

I am in process of specing out my GT2 and can't decide between Basalt Black or White and whether to go with deviated stiching in either red or yellow. Any views and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother in law has a basalt GT3 with the PCCB and the yellow deviated stitching inside. It is one of the best looking combos I have ever seen. I highly recommend it. I do love the white too. I do not think you can go wrong either way, and I am a very big fan of deviated stitching.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
rsman
Instructor

How is the yellow stiching holding up. My cocern is that it looks great on day 1 but that over time get gets soiled and varies in color from the more vertical components and there is really no way to fix that.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 471 Posts

Black sure does make a car look mean. The stitching brings up some interesting points however. Details can sure make a car and I think matching the stitching to either exterior colour(defeating the deviating from the equation on a black/black car)or some exterior detail(calipers) is very important. This is where I think Porsche would be wise to allow customers to choose caliper colour(remember I'm Canadian eh?) rather than have caliper colour be dictated by the type of brake on the car. Just my $.02.
Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will look great. Best way to tell if it works: POST PICS!
Good luck, Tim.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is for Basalt black, yellow stitching. I have not seen any of the stitching discolor in any Porsche in the 11 years that I have been working on them, (unless you are a total slob, which I highly doubt)
you should have no problems, If you were to go with white, then I would do the red stitching. IMO white is to soft of a color for the GT2, It needs to be mean and agressive.

Semper fi.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 PM
jenk12m
Banned

i love white, but for some reason i havent liked it on the 997gt2...so my vote is for the black and here are some pics of gt3 with the colors you mentioned
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=88292
Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

white over sea blue full leather
Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sea Blue is not an option in the GT2.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

i am thinking yellow any thoughts?
or Black
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That black GT3 with yellow deviated and PCCB's looks very nice...It's a tough call without seeing them in person...I'm not a big fan of red, but that red GT2 at Rennsport looked amazing...My GT3 is yellow, and wheels painted black with yellow PCCB's and I love that look..I think a yellow GT2 with black wheels and the yellow PCCB's would also look wicked
Old 01-24-2008, 12:11 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRG13
That black GT3 with yellow deviated and PCCB's looks very nice...It's a tough call without seeing them in person...I'm not a big fan of red, but that red GT2 at Rennsport looked amazing...My GT3 is yellow, and wheels painted black with yellow PCCB's and I love that look..I think a yellow GT2 with black wheels and the yellow PCCB's would also look wicked
i agree!!!!!!!!!! shows the lines of the car very well.... sometimes the black doesnt show off the car very well ... but i do have a black car and it looks pretty bad ***... ( when its clean!)
Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

I'd go basalt black with yellow deviating stitching...I had cobalt with red stitching and loved it. really ups the ante on the interior in my opinion.

also- in yellow or white I think the gt2 rear bumper would look too messy. black is better- GT2s are supposed to be MEAN looking!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

cj i guess i have the right color on my old beater!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
rsman
Instructor

I agree on rear bumper comment. If I ordered white or any other color other than black for that matter, I would order with all the black plastic panels painted which makes a big difference in cleaning the car up in my view.I also agree with the deviated stiching sexing up the interior,just a little worried that it soils over time. If I just went with yellow belts on Basalt Black for example, the belts can always be switched out for a different color but once you go with the deviated stiching you are down a one way path which is fine but the broader appeal may be narrowed somewhat. If I can get comfortable that yellow stiching will still look good in 5 years I would probably go for it.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:18 PM
GuyR
Racer

This is exactly the issue I am facing. I was going to go for red for my GT2, but have always been a black car person and think black looks so mean that I've gone for black exterior. Also the Porsche factory cars on the web and dealer posters are black, so it may become 'the colour' for the 997GT2.

Having decided black I was also thinking about whether to get yellow belts or deviated stitching, to pick up on the yellow PCCB and to provide a contrast. If you're getting some yellow definitely go for belts and full stitching. However I think I'm probably going to go for the full black as standard. As you said belts can be changed, stitching cannot.

That said it's also apparent that deviated stitching is very common is USA, whereas very few cars in the UK are specced with deviated, so it's also a market decision.

I'm not a fan of the black painted wheels, as I don't like the fact they only paint the spokes, it leaves the rim looking a bit untidy.

Guy

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Spec