Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS with full roll cage & battery cut-off

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS with full roll cage & battery cut-off

Some of you might be interested to see pictures of the front roll cage & battery cut-off switch:

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/2007GT3...RoW/Mobile.htm

The front section of the cage looks like it's designed to be pretty much out of the way. You could almost get in and out of the car in a normal fashion with the front cage installed.

I'm wondering if the front section bolts to the floor as the rear section does? If so, are there factory mounting plates for it to mount to? And, if so, did the USA cars that came with rear factory rollbar mounting plates also come with front factory rollbar mounting plates?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

to be honest I think the front cage is way too much- but that's me. I do like the battery cut off and the flag on the right side door- that might be something I'd put on my left side 3/4 window...little american flag would look killer.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the front section with my RS and had it for a few weeks but took it out again. Did it because my head was too close, if an accident would occur my head def. would have hit. If you wear a helmet (which you do on track) the front section is great, you feel very safe. However, when not on track and without helmet I didn't quite feel comfortable. Just my 5 cents...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MatroxMGA
I ordered the front section with my RS and had it for a few weeks but took it out again. Did it because my head was too close, if an accident would occur my head def. would have hit. If you wear a helmet (which you do on track) the front section is great, you feel very safe. However, when not on track and without helmet I didn't quite feel comfortable. Just my 5 cents...
It would rip my head off if I had a fender bender on the street. Great for "track only" rides though.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! But I guess it's track only. Absolutely not streetable...
Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

I would drive it on the street, no problem. It looks great!
Where do you get them installed?

It is bolted together, is any one concerned about that?
I heard that cages need to be welded to be safer.

I would have to sit in it, but if it is not in my way, I will put one in when I get a GT3.

My cage is about as intrusive, or even more as it as a diagonal door bar that I have to slide over, but I sit so far back (6'4") that I feel I am far away enough from them and I have Kirkey padding around the tubes.
The only thing is that the tubes may be in the way as they are in front of the dash board and in my car they are against the windshield and than straight through the dash board.

I look like a moron unfolding myself out of the car, but it does not bother me too much, you get used to it and it makes me feel safe enough to go 10/10th at the track.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

I don't street my car with a helmet on, although with as bad as drivers are here in dallas, maybe I should
Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

We'd go look if us regular GT3 guys were allowed in the registry.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The newer Porsche factory roll bars, harness bars and cages leave me cold. Too many bent tubes and odd triangles where I expect to see the shapes of cages familiar to earlier 911's (following the A, B and C pillars, tying in straight lines to the suspension and frame.) For the cost of the RS, I think Porsche could have gone to some cut-outs in the dash and run the front legs of the cage directly forward and tied into the chassis or suspension. I know this impacts some rules and classes, but I don't think Porsche is worried about club rules, they've seemingly engineered something to be retrofit on the production line.

By the time you've got a full cage in a street car, I think it's time for side intrusion bars and a fully welded solution tied into the chassis and suspension. This bolt-together thing is just not inspiring confidence. Sure, we just saw a white RS mutilated and with only a half cage, it did a great job of protecting the passenger compartment, but again, on the street is one thing, on the track, things are happening a lot faster with not necessarily any more run-off or any less immovable objects in the way.

As for concerns about "bumpin der noggin" the cage should be wrapped with a high density impact absorbing foam all around the occupant seats. Even so, driving on the street with any track safety device needs careful thought and planning.

Quick Reply: RS with full roll cage & battery cut-off