Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face ...

Originally Posted by OldGuy
...998-flat 8? or flat6?
Mannnn why no one is guessing the next revolution in engine is already in the RS Spyder which Porsche has been racing for more than 2 years now.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I don't think the rear end of a 911 can house a V8 the size of the rs spyders- maybe a v10 like in the gallardo, or hell the carrera GT. and those energy saving brakes that mjspeed mentioned.

I'm already on the list at 3 dealers for the 998 GT3 RS, 20k deposits all over the place.

lol
Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question ...

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I don't think the rear end of a 911 can house a V8 the size of the rs spyders
Have you seen the "V8" from the RS Spyder? Do you know dimensions of the engine?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

dude you know by referencing the 5.7L cgt engine that I'm kidding right? hence the lol at the end? gallardo engine? okay well just in case you're actually serious...

the rs spyder engine would be amazing in a 911. it's 90* V8. 3.4L and the gearbox has f1 paddle shifters.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I'm already on the list at 3 dealers for the 998 GT3 RS, 20k deposits all over the place.
Wow, that's alot of lost interest. Our dealer only wanted $1k for a deposit...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

... okay well just in case you're actually serious...
I was!

Have anyone seen a picture of that engine?
Every time I was at the ALMS pit near the RS Spyder, I saw the engine is covered. I don't find it on the Internet either...

That is why I asked if you know the physical dimensions of that RS Spyder engine. Porsche is one of those car companies where they do extensitive race before putting into the road cars.

I will not be surprise if the V8 (75-deg?) for 998 is lighter than 997's flat-6 and still fit into a carerra chassis.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

mous and grant- I was completely kidding on the subject of v10 and deposits! that's why I said LOL which designates a joke.

- I would NEVER put a 20k deposit on a car , well maybe for a gen2 CGT or an F70 ferrari. I put a 1k on my gt3, as is customary.

okay back to the facts- the RS spyder's engine has it's intakes and other plumbing on top, and the exhaust on the bottom/outsides just like a 911 / gt3. it's a 90 degree V, and at 3.4 liters you can imagine that shapes dimensions towards a fairly tall and stout point of a car- it looks a bit taller aspect wise but smaller overall than a 997 gt3 cup engine- which is pretty wide. the good thing is that v8s usually rev higher with ease than a flat 6 (some sort of harmonic/vibration thing scientists?), so maybe we will see 9k rpms on a porsche street car soon.

if you go to the porsche > motorsports > rs spyder > pics site they show you exterior pics of the engine and gearbox. notice that the exhaust headers are exiting on the side of the car- so a road car in the shape of a 911 would need a lot longer plumbing and muffler wrap around. if the engine was in the same spot- the exhaust would come out the wheel wells. good luck cooling those brakes eh?

basically the engine will fit, but since the gearbox on the RS is mounted behind it, the entire set up would have to be tinkered. it's a moot point because it won't be a direct swap anyway.

the main issue with the pdk or dsg type issues isn't holding power- porsche used a PDK in the 962 almost 20 years ago. buggati can get it to harness 1000bhp- the issue is size and chassis balance. Unless they switch to a mid engine format, I'd imagine they'll have to keep trying to shrink the tranny until it fits the way they imagine it should, which is in front of the engine and underneath the imaginary rear seats.

of course they could increase the engine bay size and encroach into the rear firewall (just a few yards of carpet in a gt3 anyway) and therefore scoot that big pdk transmission further forward. They won't want to make it any taller (moment of intertia gobledegoop), just longer- but maybe this makes room in the engine bay for another 2 cylinders, huh?

I know they're working their asses off but porsche will not risk putting a subpar transmission in a car as high up as the gt3 on the food chain-(we all remember the boxster and 996 debacle with porous crankcases, right?). the problem is that the revenue from suvs and the development of the upcoming sedan and possible 928 replacement is probably putting this stuff on relative back burners. only a few hundred gt3s a year, maybe a bit over 1000 total for 07 and 08- including cup cars? they're selling all that other stuff by the boatload!

with the R8 and upcoming r10 car, and gallardos becoming more "daily driveable" they've got too many customers who will switch marques if they feel a product doesn't have that traditional porsche reliability.

this whole perfection thing really does take time and when their resources are allocated towards cayennes or panameras- we can only hope that someone remembers to take GT3 and 911 development to the next performance envelope as the other companies raise the bar.

I don't work for porsche so take that for what it's worth. I'm just a car-addicted jock.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

mous and grant- I was completely kidding on the subject of v10 and deposits! that's why I said LOL which designates a joke.

- I would NEVER put a 20k deposit on a car , well maybe for a gen2 CGT or an F70 ferrari. I put a 1k on my gt3, as is customary.

okay back to the facts- the RS spyder's engine has it's intakes and other plumbing on top, and the exhaust on the bottom/outsides just like a 911 / gt3. it's a 90 degree V, and at 3.4 liters you can imagine that shapes dimensions towards a fairly tall and stout point of a car- it looks a bit taller aspect wise but smaller overall than a 997 gt3 cup engine- which is pretty wide. the good thing is that v8s usually rev higher with ease than a flat 6 (some sort of harmonic/vibration thing scientists?), so maybe we will see 9k rpms on a porsche street car soon.

if you go to the porsche > motorsports > rs spyder > pics site they show you exterior pics of the engine and gearbox. notice that the exhaust headers are exiting on the side of the car- so a road car in the shape of a 911 would need a lot longer plumbing and muffler wrap around. if the engine was in the same spot- the exhaust would come out the wheel wells. good luck cooling those brakes eh?

basically the engine will fit, but since the gearbox on the RS is mounted behind it, the entire set up would have to be tinkered. it's a moot point because it won't be a direct swap anyway.

the main issue with the pdk or dsg type issues isn't holding power- porsche used a PDK in the 962 almost 20 years ago. buggati can get it to harness 1000bhp- the issue is size and chassis balance. Unless they switch to a mid engine format, I'd imagine they'll have to keep trying to shrink the tranny until it fits the way they imagine it should, which is in front of the engine and underneath the imaginary rear seats.

of course they could increase the engine bay size and encroach into the rear firewall (just a few yards of carpet in a gt3 anyway) and therefore scoot that big pdk transmission further forward. They won't want to make it any taller (moment of intertia gobledegoop), just longer- but maybe this makes room in the engine bay for another 2 cylinders, huh?

I know they're working their asses off but porsche will not risk putting a subpar transmission in a car as high up as the gt3 on the food chain-(we all remember the boxster and 996 debacle with porous crankcases, right?). the problem is that the revenue from suvs and the development of the upcoming sedan and possible 928 replacement is probably putting this stuff on relative back burners. only a few hundred gt3s a year, maybe a bit over 1000 total for 07 and 08- including cup cars? they're selling all that other stuff by the boatload!

with the R8 and upcoming r10 car, and gallardos becoming more "daily driveable" they've got too many customers who will switch marques if they feel a product doesn't have that traditional porsche reliability.

this whole perfection thing really does take time and when their resources are allocated towards cayennes or panameras- we can only hope that someone remembers to take GT3 and 911 development to the next performance envelope as the other companies raise the bar.

I don't work for porsche so take that for what it's worth. I'm just a car-addicted jock.
Word...what he said.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I will say this...Porsche is the only "sports-car" in it's market demographic with 4 seats. That's a major issue for Porsche, always has been...why do you think the 356 had the engine placed behind the rear axle. Maybe when the Panamera comes out they won't have the need for 4 seats in the 911 anymore...

Behold the new two-seat 998 with the new mid-engine mounted, titanium, iconel v-8 and PDK! BHP 550 total weight of vehicle 2850 lbs!

Quick Reply: GT3 Mk II?