Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:45 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently traded-in my RS4 for a 997 GT3. I knew I wanted the GT3 but was really worried about how I would feel about it after a month or so as a daily driver. I posted questions to fourms asking for advice just as you are now and got back mixed feedback, so it didn't really help me much.

For me, I absolutely love the GT3 as a daily driver. I'm much, much happier with this car than I was with the RS4, and I loved my RS4! I live in Seattle where it rains a lot and had some concerns about the car in the rain based on some comments I had read in the forums, etc., but they're completely unfounded IMO. This car is great in the rain! I have the Corsas, not the MPSCs so perhaps that's why the difference of opinion. The suspension is tuned nicely for daily driving and is firm but not harsh. No problems for me with clearing speed bumps or with the front splitter scraping (just mild scrapes).

You need to be honest with yourself about what you really like. I hear stories from time-to-time about people getting these cars and trading them in after 1k mikes, etc., because it's not what they expected, etc. The car lacks creature comforts like premium sound system, Bluetooth integration, iPod integration, etc., but if you put driving experience before everything else, then I think you'll like this car as a daily driver.

Also, be aware that your spouse may not have the same level of appreciation for the car as you. My wife definitely preferred the RS4 to the GT3. She's happy that I'm happy and thinks the GT3 is a bitchin' car, but the GT3 is a car that can only really be appreciated from the driver's seat. It doesn't help that I added a Cargraphic exhaust which makes the car even louder than stock. Initially, I was bummed my wife didn't seem to enjoy the GT3 as much as the RS4 and even started questioning if I had made the right choice, but after living with the car now for almost 2 months I know it's the right car for me and the only car I'll be trading it in for is the next generation GT3 whenever that comes out.

-Roland.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 538 Posts

The GT3 is as good of a daily driver as someone can deal with a 2 seater with limited ground clearance, trunk space, a harsh ride over pot holes and limited winter use. You'll also be the slowest car out there when it rains. Frankly, that's why most GT3 owners have other DDs - even though we would all like to drive the car on a daily basis.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
You'll also be the slowest car out there when it rains.
Really? Maybe compared to a C4S, but the GT3 is no dog in the rain. Respectfully, it is statements like this that had me worried about the GT3 in the rain since I live in Seattle, but the car has been great in the rain. In fact, I genuinely enjoy driving it more in the rain than in the dry because I can explore its limits at slower speeds (where appropriate of course).

Even in the rain, I think the GT3 is faster through the turns than my RS4 was but it's hard to know for sure because I can't drive both at the same time and seat of the pants is not a good gauge. The RS4 "feels" faster because it's more planted thanks to the AWD and there's a DSC safety net which means you might be willing to push it harder than the GT3, but the GT3 is also almost 1000lbs lighter than the RS4 and has a lot more tire at the rear.

Incidentally, I was on a back road just earlier tonight and there was an S4 driver who figured he'd own me since the road was wet, but I stayed with him easily and passed him my first chance. There was no contest. The GT3 is perfectly fine if not great in the rain. Don't test it in the snow though (obviously) and watch out for icing conditions. That's about the only time I don't take the car out or drive very carefully. Fortunately, Seattle has very mild winters so these conditions occur infrequently (maybe 4-5 times a year).

-Roland.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by rja
In fact, I genuinely enjoy driving it more in the rain than in the dry because I can explore its limits at slower speeds (where appropriate of course).
May I suggest you explore the limits of your car on the race track. It's a safer way of doing it for you and those around you. Of course the GT3 is a faster vehicle than an RS4 but that wasn't the original question. Your GT3 tires start with 5 mm of tread when new, whereas your RS4 tires started with 8 mm of tread. Congrats on passing an S4 on a wet road!

Some further reading on the subject:

Aquaplaning
Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be carefull of wet roads...

I had a buddy that spun his car at a very fast pace on the freeway...Standing water and around he went...

No major damage good thing.

I would suggest winter tires if you are driving every day in the winter... My car feels very scary high speed in the rain. I have MPSC, much more fun on hot tarmac..
Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
coledoggy
Advanced

i use my 355 spider for a daily driver, gotta drive it like you stole the damn thing.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

roland- I drove my gt3 in the rain (without TCS )and an entire day in the snow on the corsas. In the rain I never had problem at speeds of up to 85-95mph but on a crappy street or highway I can see how puddles would create a slight issue. I love my RS4 and incidentally always turn off ESP as soon as I start the car...I find it very easy to playfully drift even at low speeds on the PS2 tires.

gt3 is totally fine as a daily driver. I wouldn't want to get road salt on it, but other than that I've got no problems driving it in any weather. if you're trying to go 125 mph down the tollway in standing water you're gonna have problems in any car. just be responsible- the car has such a wide contact patch that it's (in my opinion) hard to oversteer on the stock setup if you drive it like a normal 911.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 589 Posts

It's the only car I own! I just refuse to drive anything else.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 PM
dan360
Advanced

I drove the GT3 as a daily thru this summer, and now that its winter I have a 997TT with snows on it

I own 7 cars and 5 of them have only 2 seats, so the TT is one of the "family" vehicles, the other is the wife's X5. You might say I have a car problem.

I have an order in for a GT2, so will probably trade the 3 on that. 3 997s really would be a bit excessive...
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

dan- we get it. you're the man. but this guy might not have the cash for all those rad cars! so uh...what else you got in the garage dude? lol
Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice Frank. I have roughly a thousand hours of seat time under my belt at the track racing and at DE events, but it's good of you to assume I lack any common sense and need to be told to take my car to the track to explore its limits. In fact, such patronizing comments seem to be a disease on Porsche forums.

In any case, re-reading my post it does sound a bit street-racerish and I'm really not into that at all. People want to race me all the time but I generally just ignore them unless the time, place, and conditions are right, and then within reason just to have a little fun.

There are times and places where you can safely explore your cars limits on the streets. I'm sorry if this idea offends some folks, but everything is situational and you really can't judge w/o knowing the situation (turn, speed, time, place, road conditions, etc.). I think it's good to understand one's car's limits in real-world. I'm not advocating pushing limits at 100+ mph on the street in the rain. That's stupid. However, you can find slow corners in lightly travelled areas with good lines of sight or wide-open parking lots late at night when nobody is around to play with the car. Your not going to truly know your car taking it to a few DE events a year and I want to know my car.

-Roland.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
dan360
Advanced

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
dan- we get it. you're the man. but this guy might not have the cash for all those rad cars! so uh...what else you got in the garage dude? lol
Fair point, that may have come across as a bit boastful, that was not my intent.

My cars are the embodiment for me of a passion for cars I've had since I was in a push chair. All the cars get driven, I'm not a polish and show only kind of guy - the garage is:
Dino - done about 1000 miles this summer
288GTO - about 2000 this summer
CS - 20K up - can't stop driving it.
430CH - 12 days on the track.
GT3 - 2.5K over the summer
TT - up to about 3K so far
... and the X5.

I worked my *** off for a long time, and fortunately my wife encourages and salutes my collecting cars.

I have historically driven a variety of totally inappropriate cars as DDs when the term "collection" really could not be applied. The least appropriate for the job was a '74 MGB roadster that had no heater. I used that car year round and discovered that fur lined sheepskin gloves were the only thing that could keep my hands warm for an entire journey. I'd arrive with a warm knee from the transmission tunnel and chilled everywhere else. It also had the charming feature that the windscreen wipers worked fine unless it was actually raining when they would run some form of bizzare "intermittent" mode.

I also transported a tree in my '96 Boxster. So I'm all for buying a car you love and just using it.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:35 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by dan360
I drove the GT3 as a daily thru this summer, and now that its winter I have a 997TT with snows on it

I own 7 cars and 5 of them have only 2 seats, so the TT is one of the "family" vehicles, the other is the wife's X5. You might say I have a car problem.

I have an order in for a GT2, so will probably trade the 3 on that. 3 997s really would be a bit excessive...
What other cars do you have... Fill out your sig so we can enjoy....

I have a similar problem... I am thinking of 996 Turbo next winter for a driver... Rally ride height, studs,and a ski rack. What a blast.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
dan360
Advanced

Originally Posted by RS 197
What other cars do you have... Fill out your sig so we can enjoy....

I have a similar problem... I am thinking of 996 Turbo next winter for a driver... Rally ride height, studs,and a ski rack. What a blast.
I guess we cross posted didn't want to put in the sig since it might seem excessive.

The TT is really great with snows on it. The torque of the engine will pull 3rd pretty much from about 10 mph so its a nice drive. I was drining around guys in their MB/BMW rear drivers who were sliding all over the place in a recent snow storm here in NE.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by dan360
I guess we cross posted didn't want to put in the sig since it might seem excessive.

The TT is really great with snows on it. The torque of the engine will pull 3rd pretty much from about 10 mph so its a nice drive. I was drining around guys in their MB/BMW rear drivers who were sliding all over the place in a recent snow storm here in NE.
Some nice hardware... I love the classic F cars...and Porsche cars and almost any car...

I have a similar problem. I too enjoy every car I have anytime I can. They are ment to be driven.

Nothing like all that weight in the rear to get you around in the snow. It has it's advantages...

Quick Reply: daily driver