Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

replaced my aerokit "lip"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced my aerokit "lip"

I purchased a replacement (black mat finish) lip in the Fall from Sunset Imports ($114.95 + $22 shipping) - got around to the installation this afternoon.

All of the DIYs on this subject are accurate: putting the new one on is a snap (no pun intended), but getting the old one off is a motherf**ker. Because of the design of the tabs, you are pulling against a ridged edge - kind of like pulling an arrow out (ouch) as opposed to pushing all the way through the body. I ended up ripping my old lip in several places based on the amount of energy that I had to use, but no damage to the remaining parts of the spoiler assembly. I'm sure if I did this for a living, I would figure out the exact angle from which to pull to keep the lip intact.

Now I just wait until the snow clears to scrape up the new one.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:07 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a new one on when I did the concours and then put my old one back on. I just worked with it slowly and at different angles and it came right off both times.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

Are you guys talking about the front lip below the splitter? I ordered a new one and they said that the tiny little piece that bolts on to the plastic splitter in the middle section was over $300!!! Is this right? It sounds crazy...even for a PCar.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSPN33
Are you guys talking about the front lip below the splitter? I ordered a new one and they said that the tiny little piece that bolts on to the plastic splitter in the middle section was over $300!!! Is this right? It sounds crazy...even for a PCar.
Mine was around 150 if I recall correctly. You should be able to get both pieces in the range of $350. I'd do some checking around.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by BKSPN33
I'm looking at my invoice (dated Oct 2007) right now: $164.61 list, but discounted (to anyone) to $114.55 + $22.93 shipping. With a note: "thanks for order. freight high because of box size, sorry!" [the box was about 36"x8"x60"]

Sunset Imports, Beaverton, OR (503-641-8600)

part #997-505-983-92

Hope that helps. BTW, I was outraged at $115 because they were only $80 in early 2007.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

you should look into getting the cup car motorsport part ...

Also on the matter of the fasteners ... I believe that you can pull out the press-in "stud" that secures them with little or no problem and the the expanding "plug" comes out much easier ... this was certainly
the case with the 996 spoiler lip
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

This may sound cheap though but I've been using double layering of Gorilla tape over and around the bottom edge of the lip and so far it's been working out very nicely in minimizing scuffs and scratches. The black color of the tape matches the lip very closely. It's so that one stands 2 to 3 feet from the front bumper can hardly tell the existence of the tape. Black electrical vinyl tape gives the most perfect match in color and texture, but it's too narrow (only 3/4 in.). So every now and then I'd just replace the tapes if it started to look bad and the lip still remain in good condition.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

I'm sure that you guys know this trick, but just in case someone has missed it:

I put my PASM in sport mode when I'm creeping over a particulary sharp curb/dip. The firmed suspension seems to give me another inch or so of practical clearance by reducing the "jouncing" effect.

Quick Reply: replaced my aerokit "lip"